Fauci On Why Trump Backed Off Quarantine | Talking Points Memo

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and coronavirus task force member, said President Trump backed away from his idea to quarantine the New York tri-state area to contain the coronavirus outbreak after “very intensive discussions” at the White House Saturday night.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1300315

Where would we be without Dr. Fauci? One man against a GOP tsunami of ignorance, incompetence, and denial.

47 Likes

He will be the historical hero in this, which we sorely need given that tsunami to which you refer.

32 Likes

OT: Great little ditty. Explicit Lyrics.

You know you want to listen…

14 Likes

I don’t think “strict quarantine” is even possible in a country like America…

8 Likes

100K to 200K DEATHS?

That’s a bit beyond some of the projections. What’s up?

5 Likes

Because in many cases, no one’s listening to the experts, preferring to believe that the virus is still a hoax designed to hurt the President’s re-election chances. Just one more attempt by the Dems to overturn the election.

Yes, I believe some Americans are that #$%^&* stupid.

24 Likes

Actually, I think that’s way below many of the projections. We haven’t begun to glimpse the magnitude of the Trump Pandemic death toll.

33 Likes

And of course they would .
Why do they hate the truth?

25 Likes

That’s actually well within the projections and below some of them. The Imperial College London model predicted up to 2 million deaths in America.

Just think about how many people get it and the fatality rate. Many models predicted that half or more of Americans get it. Let’s say only a quarter of Americans get it and round down to 75 million. If the death rate is 1 percent (it might be lower, might be higher), that’s still 750,000 deaths.

17 Likes

…"after “very intensive discussions”
Did it look like this?

34 Likes

Most, if not all, of our Presidents have left us with a quote or speech such as: Fourscore and seven, the only fear, ask not and more.
WTF thunderbolt of knowledge will he leave us?

8 Likes

So far Dr. Fauci appears to be acting as the responsible adult in the room. If anyone can do it, he can. I pray that he’s able to continue; the track record on this is not good.

14 Likes

We should add whatever mass shooting sprees that happen in the next 6 months caused by idiots getting panicked and edgy to that death count.

10 Likes

Of course he is. He’s making their g-d look bad. Can’t have that… as they’re dying at home.

3 Likes

" I had nothing to do with it. I’m not responsible."

19 Likes

Or the boomer remover Trump Death Panels.

6 Likes

We’re going to get the most perfect tests you’ve ever seen
Perfect like my phone call
The Cure will be Tremendous
A beautiful cure. People will be saying “How did you do it?”
I will have to give myself a Medal of Freedom

11 Likes

One wonders if the “intensive discussions” pointed out that Trump lacks the Constitutional authority to impose such a quarantine?

31 Likes

"But I just don’t think that we really need to make a projection, when it’s such a moving target, that you can so easily be wrong and mislead people.”

Now there’s someone who can admit he doesn’t know, and doesn’t want to mislead people.

Pretty refreshing, after the optimistic blather we’ve been hearing every day from the president*.

10 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available