Fauci Calls Trump’s ‘LIBERATE’ Tweets ‘A Punch To The Chest’ | Talking Points Memo

With former President Trump fading further into the distance, top infectious disease expert Dr. Anthony Fauci has been increasingly forthright about his frustrating experience battling the coronavirus pandemic in the previous administration.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1366985
1 Like

But never far enough.

60 Likes

and I said to myself, ‘oh my goodness, what is going on here.’

After three years of Trump maybe it should not have been a surprise, but I guess many of us had the same experience more than once a day.

33 Likes

“Oh my goodness” would definitely be the censored version of my inner monologue.

31 Likes

Let’s spice it up:

Oh, my goodness!

20 Likes

Fauci deserves every Fed medal he hasn’t already received.

Birx deserves scorn, or jail.

14 Likes

Donald Trump really was amazingly effective in facilitating the spread of COVID throughout the US. I doubt if anyone could come up with a better way to maximize the damage done by a Pandemic.

40 Likes

Bolsonaro. Although, to be fair, he has lots of completely unserved areas of densely packed poor people to help spread the contagion, not to mention the perfect climate for proliferating variants.

24 Likes

ETA: In the US that is probably true.

23 Likes

It’s hard to believe anyone could be worse, but yeah, Bolsonaro is worse than Trump. Not just with regard to the pandemic, but the long-term effects of deforesting the Amazon. At least we threw Trump out of office. Many enough Brazilians will survive the pandemic to throw Bolsonaro out too.

20 Likes

Brazil: A Scott Atlas Production.

24 Likes

OFCS Fauci. You’re a highly intelligent man. You knew just what Trump was about from the first day you signed on as did Scarfy.
You both made some personal adjustments and signed on.

Added: I seriously doubt you were surprised or shocked by anything Trump said or did. Well…unless you’re not as intelligent as you appear.

3 Likes

A few things that are crystal clear…

1. Trump is personally responsible for over 400k additional Covid deaths beyond the performance of the average GOP POTUS, which means the bar is pretty low.
  2. Trump will never be brought to justice over these deaths. The US public will never receive justice. Trump will profit. The public will suffer.
  3. I am not an extreme left wing radical.
25 Likes

There’s still time.

26 Likes

I wonder if we could take that analysis down to the state level? How many people didn’t need to die in Republican controlled states? That would of had a better chance of survival if Trump hadn’t acted all Trumpy, and Republican governors trying to imitate Trump?

12 Likes

Fascism has its price.

4 Likes

This is horseshit. Fauci did an incredibly good job at hanging on when Trump & his minions did everything they could to make him resign. Equating him with Birx is dumb and false.

40 Likes

There is a difference with those two. Fauci didn’t sign on to Trump’s agenda. He’s a career civil servant, been there through many administrations, which is why Trump couldn’t fire him. His job has been to work with whatever administration arrives on the scene.

Birx did sign on. She was appointed from outside the government as head of the task force. She had to know what she was getting into with three years of Trump as President, and she signed on anyway. I’m sure she thought she could do something to help, but that doesn’t excuse covering up for Trump and failing to speak up when things went south.

28 Likes

Amazing his drive to infect and kill as many supporters as he could. I know Jared was telling him it was only the blue states that were being impacted the worst, but as the year went on and it spread to the red states too he had to know he was getting his voters killed prior to the election. Not a great campaign strategy.
The sad truth is that if he had told people to wear masks and even partially managed the virus any better, he likely would have won a second term.

11 Likes

someone put a match to this gasbag…

1 Like