Ex-DC Chief Judge Warns Of Creeping Authoritarianism

A lot of things happened. Here are some of the things. This is TPM’s Morning Memo. Sign up for the email version.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1474653
2 Likes

Good morning Hivers!

89 Likes

Thats a shame
GOP senators feel ambushed by Trump’s policy promises | The Hill
rump shook up Republicans on Capitol Hill over the weekend by declaring that if elected president he would make another run at repealing and replacing the Affordable Care Act.

55 Likes

My fervent hope is that intelligent voters firmly reject this Hitler wannabe next November. The alternative is truly inconceivable.

48 Likes

Hard to BE first Lately. Lots OF Campers refreshing PAge like theY’re Trying to buy Taylor Swift Tickets!

85 Likes

Different day, same lying ass
‘Name them’: Tommy Tuberville slammed for claiming ‘admirals and generals’ called to thank him (msn.com)

59 Likes

They are a party of confidence tricksters and when they’re not scamming the public, they’re scamming each other.

“As I read the amicus brief – which was poorly written – it became clear Mike was being less than honest,” Cheney writes. “He was playing bait and switch, assuring members that the brief made no claims about specific allegations of [electoral] fraud when, in fact, it was full of such claims.”

Cheney also says Johnson was neither the author of the brief nor a “constitutional law expert”, as he was “telling colleagues he was”. Pro-Trump lawyers actually wrote the document, Cheney writes

Cheney describes how Johnson, then Republican study committee chair, emailed GOP members on 9 December 2020 to say Trump had “specifically” asked him to request all Republicans in Congress “join on to our brief”.

Johnson, Cheney says, insisted he was not trying to pressure people and simply wanted to show support for Trump, by “affirm[ing] for the court (and our constituents back home) our serious concerns with the integrity of our electoral system” and seeking “careful, timely review”.

“Mike was seriously misleading our members,” Cheney writes. “The brief did assert as facts known to the amici many allegations of fraud and serious wrongdoing by officials in multiple states.”

73 Likes

Indeed, but we need a majority.

70 Likes

Former Rep. Liz Cheney’s new book includes her account of this bonkers exchange with Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) on his post-Jan. 6 pilgrimage to Mar-a-Lago:

He went to cheer TMFWWBN up because he was “depressed” and “not eating.” Gee, that’s EXACTLY how I felt FOR MONTHS after the Nov. 2016 election – and on into 2017.

64 Likes

Cheney identifies Congressman who called Trump ‘Orange Jesus’ in new book | Watch (msn.com)

23 Likes

ClearLY not Eating. PrOOf! his BeLT is loose!

Screenshot 2023-11-29 091510

45 Likes

Authoritarianism is not “creeping.” It’s running at full speed.

74 Likes

And the WaPO says that women should fuck these guys to just for the sake of unity…

55 Likes

There’s an increasingly putrescent look about him.

33 Likes

Michele Tafoya (former NFL sideline reporter)
She is dead to me now. She is the woman spewing about Hunter Biden public or private deposition in 2nd video. Always liked her because she was a woman reporting on the NFL.
To think she could be a tRumper, stab to my football loving heart.

23 Likes

"The road to fascism is lined with people telling you to stop overreacting."

77 Likes

Ever since I made a comment to you a couple of weeks ago how much I hated the prior administration because of how it mishandled the COVID crises, which in turn impacted the medical care that everyone was getting, I have been thinking that we need to remind people how bad it was and harness that anger to build a coalition or at least organize.

57 Likes

Students for Trump Founder Arrested for Allegedly Striking Girlfriend With Gun

Only the best people.

26 Likes

I have lots of stump speeches and election ad formulations running around in my head.

One thing I would love to see employed - telling the avg. voting public to do a little research. Go back and look at Hitler, Mussolini, Franco. Highlight how those countries ended in smoke and ruin. Highlight how most people who voted for it, and got swept up in the madness, didn’t pay the price they should have.

Get it on tape, that we challenge Americans to be better than that, and remind all voters that the people who are rooting for authoritarianism want to break the country. When everything ends in smoke and ruin…following Chump down his selfish vengeance rabbit-hole will be on their heads. And we are putting a marker down, that this time we are calling them out before it happens.

26 Likes

That was simply putting her in her place and is not a crime if you are a Trumper. :weary:

13 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available