ESPN Host Absent After Torching Network | Talking Points Memo

Wait - they’re “suspending” the debt limit? Not extending it (which is the usual order of business) or just getting rid of the stupid thing altogether.

Yes, they are trying to kneecap Trump’s successor.

2 Likes

Yes, which has happened on a number of occasions, the last suspension ended in March.

No, it’s just the standard thing to kick it down the road until after another election cycle, same as happened the last few times, we’re not in some special new territory here.

This is actually the best option we could have hoped for, to at least not have brinksmanship running into the election.

2 Likes

I lived in CT for some 20 years and, yes, ESPN was a huge employment draw for the State.

I’d been down in the area of their campus and the continuous construction for several of those years.

Now, no one wants to go near them. Some of their best broadcasting has hit the dustbin. Some of their best talent has gone to other networks. They’ve deconstructed and re-constructed themselves, but they’ve lost their cachet. I don’t see them being a big draw anymore and quite honestly their headcount is a shadow of its former self.

LeBatard wouldn’t have seen the light of day at ESPN 15 years ago.

Damn. How did I miss the change in strategy? Apparently it’s been going on since 2013 - mixing together “suspensions” with “raises”.

The entire thing should be scuttled, but there are too many politicians convincing too many voters that imposing a hard borrowing limit constants something other than playing a vast game of Chicken with our economy.

I agree that this is not really an issue we want on the table.

2 Likes

Frankly, it’s unconstitutional, violates the 14th which states in part that the debt of the U.S. can’t be questioned.

But the only way to test that is to actually crash through the ceiling…

It’s annoying and just needs to go, once and for all. I’m just as annoyed with Nancy for using it again as I was with her predecessors for doing the same.

You don’t just fuck with the backbone of the world’s economy for petty internal politics.

2 Likes

Yep like everything else that is “just too hard” apparently.

6 Likes

You know; “First they came for..” and all that stuff.

6 Likes

Maybe ESPN can be a proud sponsor of that upcoming “Straight Pride Parade” in Boston, when every other sponsor that the straight white boys listed on their literature has threatened to sue them because they have been posting their corporate logos on their ads while the “sponsors” say they would never be caught dead sponsoring these idiots in the first place.

ESPN might be quite happy there. Maybe they can buy Milo Yellownipples a new strand of pearls, since he’s going to be the Queen of the Prom at the event. Maybe Lindsey will show up! Ooooh, I’m getting the tingles!

3 Likes

I could be wrong but Tiger announced some time ago that he does not consider himself to be “of color” and will not respond to questions related to matters that affect minority populations. Why else do you think he hangs around Mar-a-Largo waiting for Current Occupant to hang stuff around his neck?

3 Likes

…ICAM!

It’s filtering down

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the only books ESPN bosses care about are the ones ruled for double-entry bookkeeping.

It may not be good for America, but it’s damn good for ESPN.
– Melania Trump

2 Likes

I share your alarm. That said, perhaps this is what they’re thinking:

The current Senate & POTUS are terrorists who will take any hostage that’s handy. So, locking this down now has the benefit of removing the hostage for the remainder of the current political iteration.

If Trump loses in 2020, we’ll probably have a blue House and possibly a blue Senate, in which case the debt limit can be handled by adults free from the interference of brats and terrorists, i.e. not a crisis.

1 Like

Ah, give credit where credit is due: those were the immortal words of disgraced CBS News chief Les Moonves, not some illegal immigrant from Slovenia or whatever Eastern Eurotrash country she came from.

1 Like

I will kindly direct your attention to the linked “m” in “Trump.”

2 Likes

I beg your pardon, sir! I shall never doubt thee again!

Would it not require 60 votes?

1 Like

Ugh. Right.

Maybe we’ll have a supermajority?

1 Like

Your mistake is making this category “politics” which is somehow divorced from the social and legal reality that sports is played in, that its players live in, that it’s fans live in, and that taxpayers subsidize.

Just one thing. TPM, would you PLEASE stop using the phrase “doubled down” all the time?! It’s gotten annoying, and is starting to look like lazy writing. Just stop writing “doubled down” and instead state the action that was taken. Thank you so very much.

1 Like

I don’t keep up with sports so I don’t really watch ESPN, but I’m sometimes relieved to see that’s what’s on in a restaurant because they don’t do politics. I hope Batard can do an interview with someone on another outlet to get his own opinions out there, but do we really have to see it on ESPN? I would be genuinely shocked if there are any ESPN viewers who aren’t aware of the concentration camps, so I think turning politics loose there would result in just one more place to yell back and forth rather than actually educate anyone.

Not to mention, how likely is it that the majority view on a sports network is liberal?