Election Officials Prep For An Ugly 2024 With Mental Health And Stress Trainings For Staff

I wish I could fully endorse this message, but if you read my posts on this thread, you would know why I couldn’t. I would really not be ambivalent at this point.

I had been thinking about volunteering as an election worker for a while. This article motivated me to write my county recorder’s office to volunteer for training as an elections worker.

Those mouth breathing, knuckle dragging morons do not scare me, and I will do my part, like my father and grandfather before me, to fight authoritarianism.

4 Likes

Uh, yeah, that would get me fired. Just having it on the plant site would.

Election worker in Northern California. This primary, we had a low turn out (about 15% of the last general election in 2022), but we still had our moments. One guy claimed that his ballot was his property and wasn’t about to deposit it in the ballot box where he was sure it would be destroyed or changed. We told him his vote wouldn’t be counted then and he couldn’t take his ballot out of the polling place once it had been issued (screws up the multiple control measures) but he stormed out with it anyway, shouting that we were fascists and that the election was rigged. Also had some nosey Republican obsevers who wanted to approach voters in the voting booth and resisted being told they couldn’t do that, and were incredulous when told the law prohibits that. We weren’t subjected to any actual abuse, and a lot of people thanked us for working our 15 hour day for less than half of minimum wage.

2 Likes

Go for it! But you might want to start in the February, April, or September polls, rather than a November election, especially in a Presidential Election. It will be cray/cray…

1 Like

Many, many stories like this. Voting is one of the true tests of a Democracy. Your experiences repeated and reflected in about 100,000 polling places in the country. Four times a year.
Thank you for your service!
:pray:t3:

1 Like

I have no idea WHAT you are ‘talking’ about. My son worked the polls. I didn’t say SENIORS do not. I live in a state where we don’t even HAVE poll booths anymore. It’s all mail in. I DO however see many seniors out talking and door belling and getting the vote out.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available