DOJ Opens Investigation Into GOP Rep. Ross Spano For Alleged Campaign Finance Violations

An announcement by the House Ethics Committee on Thursday revealed that the Department of Justice is investigating Rep. Ross Spano (R-FL) for allegedly violating campaign finance laws.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1262359
1 Like

Process crime, nothing to see here, just keep moving.

Now if he had worn a tan suit, and ate hot dog with fancy mustard then that’s a whole other kettle of fish.

8 Likes

OT:

Trump is demanding that South Korea pay roughly 500% more in 2020 to cover the cost of keeping US troops on the peninsula, a congressional aide and an administration official confirmed to CNN.

The price hike has frustrated Pentagon officials and deeply concerned Republican and Democratic lawmakers, according to military officials and congressional aides. It has angered and unnerved Seoul, where leaders are questioning US commitment to their alliance and wondering whether Trump will pull US forces if they don’t pay up.

“Nothing says I love you like a shakedown,” said Vipin Narang, an associate professor at MIT who follows the Korean peninsula, summarizing South Korean uncertainty about the US.

Trump is doing his best to further destabilize our allies and kowtow to the tiny tyrant Kim Fat. He sure is acting like a Russian asset.

17 Likes

If it looks like one, and talks like one, and acts like one, and does only things that one would do…

9 Likes

House Ethics Committee Chair Ted Lieu (D-CA) and ranking member Kenny Marchant (R-TX) released a statement announcing that the DOJ had asked the committee to defer its investigation into Spano to the department.

Here’s what we’ve finally come to. My first reaction is that the Bill Barr DOJ is trying to ward off the House Ethics Committee so that they can simply bury this. DOJ will come back two years from now to tell us that there’s no problem.

9 Likes

An announcement by the House Ethics Committee on Thursday revealed that the Department of Justice is investigating Rep. Ross Spano (R-FL)

“Corruption. It’s all corruption.”
Today’s GOP: where felony investigations have overtaken the desire to spend more time with their families as the primary cause of retirement.

4 Likes

You read my mind.

6 Likes

Investigation will end by COB tomorrow with no violations found.

Bank on it.

2 Likes

Rep Spano isn’t the only person being examined by the House Ethics Committee. Rep. Hastings (D), Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D), and Rep. Bill Huizenga ® are also being investigated.

Hastings because his long-term companion has been a member of his paid staff, and a rule change in Feb 2018 may no longer permit this, Tlaib over questions whether she continued to pay herself a salary from campaign funds between the time of her election and being sworn in, and Huizenga for possible improper handling of staff travel expenses and improper use of campaign funds for personal purposes.

7 Likes

So what WP is saying is that Hastings and Tlaib will be found guilty.

2 Likes

That, sadly, was my first reaction too. Has Barr recused himself from any Ukraine-related cases yet? Seeing as he was named as an involved party by the lead conspirator and all…

2 Likes

If he keeps this up, maybe there are still some national security Republicans who might take note. Looking at you Romney. Time to put up or shut up, because this is another gift to Russia.

1 Like

“As I’ve said before, we acknowledged that mistakes were made with respect to the campaign loans, but those mistakes were completely inadvertent and unintentional,” he said.

During the 2018 midterms, the Tamba Bay Times reported that then-candidate Spano had declined to file a mandatory personal finance disclosure form until the Sunday before the elections on November 6.

I’m no campaign finance guru, but this doesn’t seem at all “inadvertent or unintentional”.

4 Likes

If I were him, I’d get myself elected President of the United States that seems to be a good way to ward off the DOJ.

2 Likes

or put his feet up on the Resolute Desk.

The Horror, The Horror!

2 Likes

Well, either that or publicly announce an investigation into Joe and Hunter Biden. It’s South Korea’s choice.

So who were the friends? I assume they were already maxed out on legal contributions. And yeah, this looks like a slam dunk for the “friends” and Spano, at least until Barr’s people get their teeth into it.

Uncle Vlad just loves his Cheatolini, the gift that keeps on giving.

If/when we ever find out what Uncle Vladdie has on him, we’ll probably all faint. I recently read somewhere (don’t remember where) by someone who claims that Donnie’s been a Russian asset ever since he got hooked up with Ivana… If so, that’s a lot of years of kompromat.

1 Like

Let’s pretend that these were mistakes instead of venal self-interested theft. If I’m a fiscal conservative Republican, why would I want to hire someone who makes mistakes with thousands of dollars?

3 Likes

I think it’s the Post’s usual ‘being balanced’ - but the Democrats were accused of violating House rules, while the Republicans are accused of violating federal campaign financing laws.

[I posted the article link because I thought the GOP wouldn’t pass on a chance to attack Democratic Representatives and wanted to let people know the backstory - but nothing so far from the trumpists.]

1 Like