DOJ On McGahn: Courts Have No Role In Fights Between Congress, White House | Talking Points Memo

Well, poor Mr. Moopan. I wonder if he will be employable after this?

Remember the woman who went to court to argue that soap and toilet paper were not ‘necessities’ so that ICE did not have to give them to child detainees?

5 Likes

Aren’rt they arguing this to the Judicial branch?

What if they rule that judges haven’t the authority to settle disputes between executive and legislative branches?

Does it even count? I mean isn’t that ruling settling a dispute?

6 Likes

The point isn’t necessarily to win the argument but to draw out the whole process for as long as possible. As long as Barr is attorney general there will be no danger of being jailed for defying a subpoena no matter how the courts rule

4 Likes

McGahn was/is not the personal attorney for Trump. How would the question of attorney-client privilege even apply here?

Mcgahn must testify to whether the President was acting within the bounds of the Article II (which as White House Council it’s McGahn’s responsibility to protect and defend) or in political self interest (which would be the job of Trump’s personal attorney.)

The judges are asking all the right questions and Trump’s attorneys–aka the DoJ–are pretending they have a valid argument. IANAL and even I can see that the argument is based on thin air.

11 Likes

Time wasting is the goal

4 Likes

…while trying to have this dispute resolved, yes.

11 Likes

Which is what resides in between the ears of most Republicans.

2 Likes

They came up with they cant indict a sitting President.

3 Likes

That’s just for the chosen ones. Everyday people will have to obey them.

9 Likes

Stall stall stall stall, then when/if the courts finally say they must, then they don’t and dare someone to do something about it.

5 Likes

That’s an argument for a side with no valid argument.

2 Likes

I’ll give these a shot, moon:

1. Why DOJ involved? Because when DOJ wants to weigh in, a federal court is not likely to say no. DOJ’s arguments can be dismissed or ignored, but they get to participate if they want to.

2. “case after case.” This is a typical argument: if you allow this case, you’ll “open the floodgates” and be inundated with frivolous cases. The answer to the assertion is no – if the courts hold that they have power under Article 3 of the Constitution to step in when the Executive refuses to comply with Congress’ oversight function and order the Executive to comply on pain of contempt, there won’t be any more of this blatant obstruction.

Attorney-client? During the Whitewater investigation, Starr’s grand jury wanted to question Deputy White House counsel Bruce Lindsey regarding the advice he gave Clinton. The DC Circuit (the same court hearing the argument in this article) held that there is no attorney-client relationship. In any event, even if there were, there’s a crime exception – preventing invocation of the privilege to protect criminal activity – that could be applicable here, because McGahn would be called to testify about all of the crimes he had to talk Trump out of committing.

13 Likes

I think you need to add something to convey just how quickly Sundance said that, like
“123go!”

2 Likes

Totally consistent argument with their view that the executive can do anything it wants. To the Trumpists, the executive is supreme. The idea of three separate and equal branches of government is anathema to them.

1 Like

You’re confusing the DOJ with previous incarnations

Federal courts should not rule on separation-of-powers disputes between Congress and the White House, the Trump/Barr Justice for Trump Department argued Friday.

2 Likes

Can courts decide on their own to sanction lawyers who waste their time with crap like this?

Of course at this point there may be a majority for crap like this at the supremes, so who knows.

2 Likes

If a Democrat said that they’d have bullseyes on their backs, with regards to the Third Branch, until the end of time.

to enforce a subpoena

Do the courts know the subpoena is just a political tool?

1 Like

So basically its three branches of government reduced to two, in which case only one side of Congress, the Senate, is empowered to make decisions so long as Republicans hold the majority. Or is it now three branches reduced to one? Yeah, that’s more like what I think they’re saying.

DoJ’s revisionism has really taken shape under AG Barr, hasn’t it? An AG that doesn’t want to follow the law can decide just about anything. Soon he’ll be rewriting the US Constitution and submitting it to tRump for his approval, which he alone will have the power to approve I suppose. I know that because it says so in the new US Constitution according to Barr under the former Article 2 which has now become Article 1.

6 Likes

People still teach civics? Nah. Pull the other one.

1 Like