DOJ: Hundreds Of Capitol Insurrection Cases Opened, Months Of Investigation Ahead | Talking Points Memo

Federal law enforcement officials investigating the Capitol insurrection warned on Friday that it could take months before “the full puzzle” of what happened on Jan. 6 is put together.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1354907

In (Merrick) Garland we trust.

17 Likes

Neither is perfect but both are good.

(In case anyone was wondering.)

14 Likes

And how did that happen?

24 Likes

If you can (apparently) pardon one person for a slate of undefined crimes, can you blanket pardon a group of unidentified people pre-emptively? I suspect we’re about to find out.

10 Likes

28 Likes

One of the first things Jimmy Carter did in office was to pardon hundreds of thousands of young men who had evaded the draft in the ’60s and ’70s.

15 Likes

There was no way they were going to detain thousands of people, especially since most of them probably didn’t commit a crime. Sticking to the ones that invaded the Capitol and the ones that incited violence outside is probably good enough, and that’s a few hundred people. There’s just no way they could hold them all, and no reason, really…they can all be picked up later, and any that attempt to flee or disappear will eventually be caught as well. Trying to hold all of them just was beyond the capability of law enforcement on the 6th, whether going in or leaving…why is of course under investigation now.

3 Likes

As noted, we already know the answer. The thing is, I doubt Trump would actually do that, simply because he doesn’t care about them…they are just pawns to him, he’s disgusted by them otherwise, and he’s going to be too busy putting pardons out for the people he actually cares about to waste time on a bunch of losers who have caused him a lot of grief. now. If Trump could ride them to a second term he would, now that they aren’t any use to him he’ll turn away…which is going to be interesting since they still depend on him for his statements, just like Q.

11 Likes

" Hundreds Of Capitol Insurrection Cases Opened, Months Of Investigation Ahead"

Not a video game,this has real consequences.

7 Likes

Acting U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia Mike Sherwin said that 275 case files were currently open relating to the insurrection attempt, and that he expected more than 300 case files to be opened by the end of the day.

Boy, wouldn’t it have been nice if all these violent thugs, goons, miscreants, and other assorted misfit traitors and losers had been in one place at the same time where authorities could have detained, rounded up, and arrested them all at once during the commission of and in the immediate aftermath of their crimes?

15 Likes

Johnson also blanket-pardoned everyone on the treasonous side of the Civil War.

I am not aware of any case law determining the validity of those kinds of blanket pardons, but they seem to have been accepted as valid.

6 Likes

I love Horsey…He was a few years ahead of me at the UWashington.

5 Likes

Mobs love anonymity.

They’ll get that, but a lot MORE when the felony raps start a ‘comin’

2 Likes

“We’re trying to really focus on some of the violent offenders, both inside and outside the Capitol,” Sherwin said.

Just be sure to focus on conspirators still inside the Capitol.

They have R’s after their names.

(And no “professional courtesy” to perps who are fellow LEOs.)

22 Likes

Yes. Criticized in some quarters at the time, but not seriously enough to be invalidated.

8 Likes

13 Likes

Managed 316 arrests in one night during BLM, only 61 on an active invasion of the Capitol Building.

I watched as it happened, zero excuses that there weren’t a shit-ton more arrests. Particularly after curfew when there were still crowds there and boatloads of cops who could have kettled them, but chose to stand there and do nothing.

The only reason that there were so few arrests was because of the general color of the group.

35 Likes

The more interesting question is if this blanket pardon is issued, can it be construed that the pardoner has admitted that sedition was committed and those who inspired, instigated, encouraged, and exhorted this crime bear some responsibility too?

5 Likes

17 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available