DOJ Attorneys: Trump’s Mob Intended To ‘Capture And Assassinate’ Elected Officials | Talking Points Memo

Federal prosecutors said in a court filing on Thursday that President Donald Trump’s mob who laid siege on the U.S. Capitol last week intended “to capture and assassinate elected officials.”

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1354815

It’s like Trump took over the Manson Family. Lock 'em all up for good.

33 Likes

Looks like some of these imbeciles will be doing hard time. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning:

39 Likes

Great news.

9 Likes

Will he be allowed to take that costume with him to prison? Will it still fit him when he’s released 9 years later?

12 Likes

It’s impossible to overstate how dangerous this situation is. It’s also impossible to overestimate the contribution of right-wing media to the radicalization of these individuals. At some point those propagandists must be held to account.

66 Likes

Well, he might find that his cellmate is into that sort of thing.

1 Like

And still:

"Most Republicans and Republican leaners, however, side with Trump on these questions: 65 percent say Trump acted responsibly after the election, and 66 percent say there is solid evidence of widespread fraud. Amid flutterings of debate over what the GOP path forward should be, their desire is clear: Nearly 6 in 10 Republicans and Republican-leaning independents say party leaders should follow Trump’s lead in the future, rather than moving in a different direction.

“A slight majority of Americans (52 percent) say Republican leaders went too far in supporting Trump in his baseless claims about the legitimacy of the election, but 48 percent of Republicans say those leaders did not go far enough in backing the president’s efforts.

28 Likes

But, hey, let’s not impeach and convict Trump for leading and inciting these groups. Because it’s too late, he’s leaving office anyway, he’s really learned his lesson this time, he won’t really run in 2024, they’ll forget all about him when he’s out of office, we need to move on, it would divide the country, …

42 Likes

Slowly dawning how momentous this could have been. Nancy in shreds as they drag her corpse around the senate floor. Good God.

Freedom of speech is not freedom to lie.

29 Likes

Think of the billions of dollars wasted because of these clowns. Our govt. paralyzed for years. Every good idea and good intention killed. Making no progress of any kind for a decade or more. Extra rules and protections, extra fear, barricades, precautions, election protocols, all so they can espouse some QCumber shit salad. They are not serious people with serious issues. They do not have an alternative style of govt, they don’t have a platform, all they are - negaters. A black hole of cartoonism and buffoonery.

62 Likes

GOP Congress critters would have been cut down along with everyone else if the plot had been just a tad more successful. If say, one of those pipe bombs had been tossed onto the Senate Floor. Considering the coup is still active, they are giving ammunition to the people who won’t hesitate to shoot them too.

15 Likes

This is supposed to be an 'appy time Lets not argue about who killed who,

(294) Monty Python & the Holy Grail - Who Killed Who - YouTube

17 Likes

It’s The Turner Diaries made real. Lock them up.

10 Likes

The QAnon Shaman compares himself to Gandhi, Martin Luther King and Jesus:

“I trust in God and I know that I didn’t do anything wrong,” he said. “And even if I was arrested, wasn’t Gandhi arrested a lot? Wasn’t Martin Luther King Jr. arrested a lot? Wasn’t Jesus arrested? I put my trust in God, not the government.”

12 Likes

Great post, have to deduct one point for not using the word “unity” - a word oozing out of every Republican mouth over the last week

14 Likes

And they will come out of their trials and/or prison time feeling even more embittered, persecuted and victimized and still believing their conspiracies. Another example of how much easier is to destroy than to build.

8 Likes

Tommy Tuberville is unaware of a great many things. JFC, Alabama has a lot of very deeply stupid voters.

Tuberville also questioned the timing of the inauguration on January 20.

“We probably could have had a swearing-in and inauguration later after we got this virus behind us a little bit. Again, we’re talking about Washington, D.C.,” Tuberville said.

However, the 20th Amendment to the Constitution requires that the inauguration and swearing-in of a new President take place on January 20th. It wasn’t clear if Tuberville was aware of that during the interview.

52 Likes

I know. Like letting Chump manage the pandemic a little longer is the healing tonic the country needs.

18 Likes

And McCarthy wants the Dems to appeal to their better angels and not move forward with all of this.

Someone oughta sit this guy down and ask him to share whatever it is he’s taking in either pharmaceuticals or herbs.

12 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available