Discussion:

Just a little reminder to everyone, from [the Congressman’s official web page][1]:

He has a masters of divinity degree from Princeton Theological Seminary and a Ph.D. in economics from American University.  He worked for the World Bank assisting developing world economies and in the private sector for Arthur Andersen before he became a professor of economics and chairman of the economics department at Randolph Macon College.

Just in case any of you had in mind to send a son or daughter to major in economics at Randolph Macon College.
[1]: http://brat.house.gov/about/full-biography

And he’s laughing all the way to the bank and at Virginia voters.

Wow.

Brat lives his life in the old fashioned way… like his father taught him. I can hear the old man now, pulling the young Brat to his side and saying, “Son, don’t ever let your stupidity get in the way of your ambition… join the Republican Party and make your abject ignorance work for you.”

2 Likes

Hey Brat!

Rodman on line 2 to firm up details on y’alls trip to NK…

So he isn’t really an economics professor, he just plays one in his madrassa? So much for the value of a PhD from American University. I guess he also believes in the Christian version of Sharia law.

2 Likes

I want Congressman Brat to show us where those FEMA concentration camps are that his Pal Alex Jones says are all over the country!

He knows it was signed into law by a black president, which, if it gets around to that blacks can do stuff that’s competent and useful and maybe never was done a white president, is just going to encourage the idea that white people aren’t in fact chosen by Jeebus and God to rule over all others, and otherwise lead more generally to uppityness.

The amazingly incredible fact is this guy (Brat) has a Ph. D. in economics.

1 Like

I poked the wrong button to make a comment so here goes again:

Mr Brat, there are good reasons why Korea and especially the northern part of that peninsula is called “the Hermit Kingdom”.
But based on your comments in the article, Sir, it looks like you don’t
know very much at all about Korea in general. It may behoove you to
take a “fact finding” junket over there before you open your pie hole
again on the subject.

It’s 79.56 for the US. But that’s still worse than all the countries with health insurance/health care systems.

Republicans always fail to mention that! The part where the AAHP lobby (American Association of Health Plans) supported the ACA!! They are forever captured saying so in a Frontline documentary called Obama’s Deal. See for yourself! As long as the “mandate” was there, they were on board and in support of it. Republidicks always conveniently leave that detail out.

2 Likes

haha! This made me chuckle, Ron. Also, I thoroughly enjoy how conservatives have made the word madrassa into something sinister, as if it’s a place where evil and hate are taught…when it’s only just the Arabic word for school.

Well, Mr. Factual, all your smarty-pants analysis aside, do you think you are somehow more American than the Koreans? You think they don’t love the Second Amendment as much as you?

Your elitism only leads us toward one thing: another Munich!

The “journalist” he was speaking to should have known this and challenged him. This guy is a willfully dumb cluck.

And this is why we all must get out and VOTE in 2016.We have got to stop these far right extremists from getting control of all 3 branches of Government.As much as I dislike Hillary I will Vote for her if only so there is some kind of check and balance on these far right wingnuts.
These guys will also get control of appoinments.like all the Judge positions they obstructed and then you will have a tea bagger Judge sitting for who knows how many decades.

WAKE UP…THREAT LEVEL RED

This fuckwitted teabagger must be unaware that South Korea has comprehensive national healthcare.

Fuck this troll with a serrated broomstick.

Rep. David Brat (R-VA) on Thursday, during a conversation with Lars Larson at the “Hold Their Feet To The Fire” conference, blamed Obamacare for moving America away from a free market system and making the country more like North Korea.

That’s right, you Brat, coercing people into the market for healthcare insurance is JUST LIKE TYRANNY! FREEDUMB!

It’s hard to believe that this guy was on the faculty of Randolph–Macon College and served as chair of its department of economics.

We’re so phucked.

Weird. Then why did the Heritage Foundation and the GOP run on what would become Obamacare for almost two decades?

It’s evident from his vitae that, in terms of intellect, he lives in a closed world of Austrian economics. In terms of religion, It’s not clear from what he says–or from his vitae–that he’s a fundamentalist. He does hold an M.Div. from Yale, which doesn’t typically produce scary people whose eyes glow in the dark. (Neither does American U., where he earned his PhD in economics.) But Brat does advocate the old, outworn, and many times disproved Weberian notion of “Protestant ethic as the path to success” line. Maybe it worked for 19th Century Prussia–but it won’t work in a diverse, multi-cultural society like ours.

I’m not even sure whether he’s being intellectually dishonest when he makes statements like these, which the average, rational person sees as outrageous. So yeah, maybe Brat really thinks the US is like North Korea.

I think the more likely explanation is that he’s just engaging in a little partisan demogoguery. Nowadays, in order to sign on as a Republican, you have to utter or write at least one dunder-headed anti-Obama screed every 24 hour news cycle. This, for them, is what passes for principled opposition.

Anyway, the problem I have with erstwhile smart people like this is that they seem to become so ideological brittle that they can neither understand nor tolerate honest differences of opinion in what they consider their areas of expertise. I’ve known some very intelligent people–thankfully they’re rare–whose education actually tended to cement their ideological predispositions. And they will say almost anything to defend their themselves.

This, I think, is what we have here. And not a good person to send to Congress. Makes you (shudder) miss Eric Cantor.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available