Discussion: WSJ Says Institutionalized Racism 'No Longer Exists' In Charleston Shooting Editorial

There is a fair amount of de jury being added to the books in recent years. The new voting suppression laws certainly count as de jury racism. The laws attacking the homeless in some cases are racist inspired.

Dead from a racist or from a racist practicing racism makes no difference to the dead, that were just practicing life.
If this act wasn’t racist, what is? Because the KKK aren’t marching proud in the streets any longer in no way means that they have just disappeared. The racism hasn’t died, the pushback against it has grown. It is illegal now to commit acts of racial violence in particular. Hate crimes are almost universally recognized. Racists are only proud of their racism when they are amongst their fellow racists, They are cowards in the light of day that commit cowardly acts of senseless violence and random murders.

Racists should be institutionalized is more appropriate. The whole disjointed, loosely affiliated mess of them.

Only the news side. The editorial side has long been a laughingstock.

We just witnessed how the the entire bureaucracy of the the city of Ferguson Missouri was set up to arrest, jail,and fine black people to use the money to run the city

90% of the people arrested in that city where black, and 70% of the city’s budget came from court fees,and fines paid by black people. I would call that “Institutionalized Racism.” I am sure it goes on in other cities also.

1 Like

The worst, most cowardly kind of racist is the kind who won’t admit he is one. At least this little maggot was better than that; it seems that the modern kind of republican isn’t.

We have not moved beyond racism as long as the Confederate flag flies over the South Carolina Capitol. The glad is not simply a symbol of heritage or history but also a symbol of domination, racism, and violence.

1 Like

What the nation has never confronted is that any distinction between heritage and history on the one hand, and domination, racism, and violence on the other, is an illusion of convenience promulgated specifically to enable us to turn our eyes away from that history.

That false dichotomy is a wallpapering over of a traitorous act conducted to preserve the ability of wealthy landowners to own other people as property. In my view, and I’m sure you’d agree, there’s nothing about that heritage that’s worthy of celebratory symbolism.

So no matter how one looks at it, the flag needs to come down. There is no justification for it whatsoever.

1 Like

Of course, but the readership of the WSJ simply doesn’t shop in Ferguson.

1 Like

If there is no institutionalized racism how is it that the American Swastika, aka the stars and bars, is so prominently displayed even on some government offices?

1 Like

Hey WSJ,
If case it hasn’t been mentioned, the DOJ has indicated the Cleveland Police Dept, and the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Dept in Arizona have engaged in racism.
Are they not institutions???

Chammy, I have been reading James and Patricia McPherson’s “Lamson of the Gettysburg” lately, and had one of those coincidental contemporary moments right when the shooting happened.

I had just read Lamson’s letter about his experience helping Robert Smalls, the black sailor who commandeered a CSA steamer in Charleston harbor during the Civil War, along with a crew of fellow slaves, men and women, and navigated right past a fleet of CSA battleships to head out to sea, where he surrendered the ship to Lieutenent Lamson.

One of the reasons Smalls gave for their desperate, quite potentially deadly act was that the slaves around Charleston were being punished so severely, as if they were responsible for the depredations and deprivations from the war that was descending on their wicked masters.

I do believe what we saw recently can be traced to the same sort of evil, twisted projection that made those people so desperate back then. How to describe it or put it into words that don’t encompass some sort of primal evil is difficult. But this moment of history study, at the same time the tragedy took place, put them together for me, profoundly.

#Ferguson??? Hello!!!

“WSJ On Charleston: Don’t Blame ‘Institutionalized Racism’ — It ‘No Longer Exists’”

Did the Sun not rise today? Where did the WSJ get their alternate universe? Oh, right. Rupert Murdoch.

As I shake my head all I can say without going into a vulgar rage is “For Heaven’s Sake”… and these asswipes are supposedly our “leaders”, any wonder I state emphatically, Not Mine.

pity the poor dead fish to be wrapped in this shit…

Sometimes harder than one would think. Earlier this year they sent me a “6 week free unsolicited introductory subscription”. I sent them and email saying I did not desire, I sent them a letter saying I did not desire, I called them saying I did not desire. Nothing I did made one bit of difference, no one, that is no one, it seems had the authority to stop the trash. I sent in back via the USPS as it arrived stating to return to sender refused only to have it come back the next day. At the end of the 6 weeks I received a bill. I sent it back marked refused. Now the North Shore Collection Agency (the same assholes unsolicited mag subscriptions seem to go) has received the billing and is demanding payment and fees or they will report to credit agencies. I replied, go ahead… As stated at beginning sometimes harder to refuse than one would desire.

Sure not happening in Tennessee

Yes.

Take a cordless Sawzall to the pole. Burn the flag as it hits the ground. Piss on the ashes.

I’m sorry I misunderstood. My son has Asperger’s/ASD, and can completely relate to your description of life. I get alarmed when people with no clue about any ASD assume it leads to violent rampages. My son is already subject to judgment by neurotypical people; I shudder to think what would happen to him if he and his Asperger’s were suspect when these horrific crimes occur.

2 Likes

It is alright. Sometimes it can be difficult for me to be clear when I try to communicate with others. I use a lot of qualifying language which can get drowned out.

I do hope for the best for your son. This is never easy for any of us.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available