Discussion: WSJ: NRA Chief Asked About Bills For Expensive Suits, Overseas Travel

I have the feeling that in the end, the NRA will fold like a cheap suit.

31 Likes

$200,000 in suits

WTF, do these suits fly?

24 Likes

Expensive, new suits will not help this guy. He needs a brain transplant.

5 Likes

May they die under the weight of 10,000 lawsuits and 100,000 lawyer bills.

17 Likes

I love the smell of schadenfreude in the morning…It smells like victory.

16 Likes

Does someone need $200,000 worth of suits, paid for by money shielded from taxes via their tax exempt status? Someone else would have to gross about $300,000 to have $200,000 left over after various tax hits to buy the same suits. Why is the public underwriting $200,000 of expensive designer clothing for a gun lobbyist?

19 Likes

An outraged NRA member responded, “Do you know how many guns I could buy for that!”

22 Likes

He has a brain - he needs a heart and a soul.

5 Likes

No, these are bespoke outfits. Bulletproof, of course.

3 Likes

This man is in trouble.

He knows it.

11 Likes

Sounds like our boy has been using the inhouse ad agency as a personal cashbox. No wonder they were unwilling to turn over records. (Note: if he only ever wears the suits when appearing in public on NRA business, there’s a micron-thin fig leaf that they’re really costumes rather than everyday clothing, and therefore expensable.)

So here’s my take on it now. Wayne had been using the ad agency to hide personal expenditures for 20 years or so when Ollie came in and got in on the scam. Ollie and Wayne had a falling-out, possibly because Ollie has infinitely more charisma and wanted to be more than ceremonial. Wayne decided that he would expose Ollie’s scamming without thinking that maybe, just maybe that would also end up exposing his own defalcations.

If the NRA were the for-profit marketing arm of the gun industry that it’s been acting like, they’d both be let go with parachutes and a strong NDA. But since this is a publicly chartered “charitable” organization it could end up with a complete audit, fines and even jail time.

25 Likes

I just know that every NRA member is personally jealous of his $200,000 designer suit wardrobe. Gee, how many of them even wear suits regularly? Just what they’d want their dues to cover.

9 Likes

Wayne is the torso of the NRA.

2 Likes

So do we know why Ollie replaced Wayne in the first place? The only “head of the NRA” I remember is Wayne, well once Heston bit the dust.

2 Likes

Pretty much will kill their tax exempt status at both state and federal level.

4 Likes

It won’t. There is just too much money involved. Much like tele-evangelists or prosperity gospel preachers. Their followers are brainless sheep , no matter what the scandal, they will just feed them some more lies, and continue to shearing them for wool. They probably will create a special fund-raiser for LaPierre legal defense.

4 Likes

Just spit-balling here but as convicted felons Oliver and Wayne would lose their right to bear arms, I think. Is it wrong to eat popcorn for breakfast?

9 Likes

Of course he does. All of his other suits are splattered with the blood of children.

12 Likes

They were trying to improve their image, by getting a different face for the public (cuz Ollie is so much more reputable than Wayne… or something), in the wake of the aftermath of really bad press due to their handling (really, really bad) of media after the Parkland mass murder, and the Parkland kids speaking out tour. It happened, I think, at their convention last year, and was very last minute (I think Ollie was even surprised by the quick invite to take the prominent role.)

Ya, now that effort has all gone to hell. More NRA money has swirled down the drain (and into the pockets of Wayne and - to a lesser extent - Ollie.)

7 Likes