Discussion: Woman Calls Biden Gestures 'Paternalistic', But He Should Start Asking Permission

Thanks but no thanks TPM. It’s not a new story. I recall reading something about this last week. Looks like some folks are cashing in.

5 Likes

…Going to go out on a limb here and say that maybe because it wasn’t all that bad?

Folks, if you have to be instructed by others that you’ve been assaulted, you probably weren’t.

7 Likes

You MUST be joking.

Someone held your hand FIVE YEARS AGO and it didn’t bother you one bit at the time, but just NOW someone TOLD YOU you should be “OUTRAGED” so, I guess, maybe, now you are (as long as you get some PRESS out of it)?!?!?!

Give me a fucking break.

8 Likes

You have the right to feel the way you feel but honest to God…I am sick of the stories and the assumption that somehow your aversion to ‘paternalistic’ gestures from people not YOUR father should be a) important and b) shoot down a man’s career. You get an ‘op ed’ because of this?

8 Likes

No one is shooting down anyone’s career. Biden’s had a good run in public life. How is his career “ruined” exactly? She’s not accusing him of assault. She’s specifically said it didn’t feel prurient. But she gets to speak her piece because this is something that a lot of men need to learn.

5 Likes

She’s not just talking about Biden. She’s talking about a certain kind of assumption that some men make, that because their intentions are good, their touch is welcome. But it’s not always and it’s good for women to be Able to say that, even about powerful and well-liked men.

4 Likes

Things can be “not that bad” and still unwelcome. Things can be “not that bad” and still be something men should get a clue about.

She didn’t say she was assaulted. She described what happened and how she felt pretty carefully.

3 Likes

Pretty disappointed to see dudes in the act of not getting it here. She didn’t say she was assaulted. No one’s career is being ruined. She used her experience as an example of well-meaning men not getting it and not understanding and respecting boundaries because that’s a lesson certain men need to learn. The fact that some of y’all are protesting so much, and apparently aren’t reading very carefully, suggests that she was right.

2 Likes

She writes more carefully than her critics do, that’s for sure.

1 Like

As I said,some folks are cashing in.

3 Likes

I don’t see that anyone said that in the article or this comments thread.

Why is it that reporters at TPM can’t understand that the issue is unwelcome SEXUAL contact?

Unwelcome paternalistic contact, unwelcome friendly contact, and unwelcome brotherly contact are not unlawful. Why are we seeing so many articles about these nothingburgers?

Biden must make another candidate very afraid. Who is slimy, fearful, and entitled enough to push this B.S?

3 Likes

Agreed, I really don’t care if some woman stiffened and giggled instead of saying, please remove your hand it makes me uncomfortable. And if she’s talking about it 5-10 years later it makes me think about the level of her sanity.

Now, if we had a conversation about why women in this society giggle instead of speaking up - I’d be interested. And no, bashing Biden, of all men, is not speaking up. It’s just venting a very untimely passive aggression.

1 Like

Gillebrand.

1 Like

His initials are Bernie Sanders.

1 Like

Jay said she remembers thinking it was “a little odd” that Biden had
held her hand, but said it was the least memorable part of the day. She
dismissed the feeling as mere annoyance that she had been primarily
photographed touching him instead of standing on her own.

It’s a current issue, and she literally has hands on experience with it. Not sure how people think she’s cashing in on this, but I’m as interested in her viewpoint as anyone else’s he has been creepy with.

2 Likes

I didn’t say ruined, I said shot down. All these articles are doing are taking potshots. Yes he’s had a ‘good run’ but you honest to God believe this is coming out because they couldn’t tell him five years ago they were ‘uncomfortable’ but NOW they can write an op ed to purge THEMSELVES? Really?

3 Likes

This story will continue ad nauseam. It already has. Can you even believe that it gets this much ink when donald has committed serious offences, but piles offensive behavior so thick that they bury each other? Speaking of which donald’s disregard for the rule of law, lying, and ignorance of governing and presidential norms are what disgust me the most.

Read this woman’s account elsewhere that had details omitted here. She is some kind of student of psychology, she was upset that she could smell coffee on his breath, and she was dismayed that the photographs of the event include either Biden or Obama in them and not her ‘standing on her own’. She is pretty self important to think that without a newsworthy figure (prez VP) her photo should be published. This is the kind of person who is getting a write up. Dumbfounding.

Sorry - had to put in my $.02

4 Likes

Folks folks folks. As a man that isn’t predatory or touchy feely I freely admit and believe that a lot of guys touch for predatory reasons and to a very very less extent some women. However I truly believe there are some men and women, maybe even higher percent of women, that touch in a paternal or just like to touch way. And since almost of the complaints against Joe are in public and even during pictures, I really think that this is more likely what is his motivation, touch, not sexual.

And I say all this not because I think Joe has to run in 2020 as P or VP, but just because I think this is a case people are trying to keep him out for whatever reason. Some because they believe he’s a pervert, others because he’ll lose for Ds either due to more coming out or because of his policies and because most Rs think he’ll help Ds win 2020.