Discussion: Will McGahn's No-Show Tip Dems Towards Impeachment?

I vote for a lasting impeachment in the Middle East.

1 Like

The Speaker has made no such decision.
You donā€™t have to agree with her, but you sure as hell donā€™t need to lie.

14 Likes

Iā€™ll trust Pelosiā€™s instincts over those of her young hotheads any day. Those instincts will tell her when the timing is right.

13 Likes

Getting played is a very bad look for the Democrats.
Trump wins and the country loses until they get serious.
Start the proceedings.

2 Likes

Black letter law!

( just like that phrase)

6 Likes

It will be on the Republicans

ā€¦ who will do nothing and will have stacked up some more judges in every court. And have gerrymandered some more districts.

1 Like

I dont think that it is all the young hot heads
Edit
Here is a link that lists the House leadership committee that Pelosi is facing.

Actually I havenā€™t seen anyone demand an immediate impeachment vote. Almost everyone who is ā€œcalling for impeachmentā€ are actually calling for opening formal impeachment hearings, at least in all the social media threads and subthreads I have been reading since this Congress was sworn in.

12 Likes

There is, of course, a third option: The ā€œleadersā€ of the Democratic Party are happy with the status quoā€¦

1 Like

The majority of Americans donā€™t care. Half of them donā€™t vote. Among those who do, the white majority always votes for the Republican in the Presidential election. Have done so since John F. Kennedy and the passing of the Civil Rights Act.

1 Like

Politically, an impeachment inquiry is more important.

Morally and constitutionally, passage of article(s) of impeachment is more important.

if I had to pick one, Iā€™d go with the inquiry, because holding an official impeachment inquiry comes close to meeting the moral/constitutional imperative of a vote itself.

But a vote alone does not provide any of the benefits of an inquiry.

8 Likes

What is this based on?

They impeached and failed to remove Clinton, and the GOP then won the House, took over the Senate, and won the White House in the aftermath of impeachment with no conviction in the Senate.

5 Likes

I have trouble getting past my belief that we are tripping over semantics.

Investigations, even if you have to call them impeachment investigations to gain further leverage for the production of documents and appearance of witnesses, are not an impeachment, they are a necessary precedent to an impeachment. They are the continuum of events that will keep the unconstitutional, undemocratic, unlawful activities of the Trump cabal front and center in the public eye. And they can be a long running event over which the Democrats have complete control.

Call them what they are and get on with the process. Do not fall into the GOP framing of what they are not.

@inversion @emiliano4 @castor_troy @lestatdelc

10 Likes

Thank you! We need to give our leaders support to do the right thing. But not do Russiaā€™s work by tearing down our own.

Expressed better than I can:

9 Likes

Just a side comment, that whole sentence that you typed is terrifying.

2 Likes

Cuffing him will provide lots of ammo for Herr Gropenfuhrer. Why not fine private citizen Mcgahn $25,000/day?

3 Likes

Prove it, Buster.

5 Likes

The box of straws is full to the brim.

So stop building straw men.

5 Likes

Hold an impeachment inquiry butwork out the timing it so it does maximum damage before the election. When Nixxonā€™s shit was publicly revealed support for impeachment soared.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available