Discussion: Wife Of Man Killed In Triple Shooting: 'I Need An Answer From The Government'

Well, we certainly know how Truman would have handled it.

I’m old but not Truman old.

I see that Truman refused aid to India.

OT… Trump’s skipping the White House Correspondents Dinner.

2 Likes

Truman had a sign on his Oval Office desk that said: “THE BUCK STOPS HERE.”

2 Likes

O - what a silly person I am to forget that.

:laughing:

1 Like

Man, I hope they skewer the bastard.

3 Likes

How Canada is trying to capitalize on Trump’s immigration executive order

This foreign rival is embracing the U.S. curbs on immigration.

Foreign rival?

So now we are capitalizing on Trump’s inanity by doing the right thing?

FU WaPo for this headline that buys into Trump’s nationalistic framing.

3 Likes

It’s good you pointed this out. Honestly, I just ignored it, to the point of not really noticing it was there.

It is a load of garbage.

2 Likes

It might be worth reviewing the industrial and commercial investment in the deep South during the days before the Civil Rights movement. The area was poor for many reasons, but one of the big ones was that employees of responsible large corporations refused to live in States where they would not be treated as equal citizens and would, in fact, be in literal danger. Guess that’s the sort of “Great America” that he wants to revisit. – My stomach hasn’t stopped hurting since election night.

1 Like

My friend from India had something similar, but less fatal, happen to him after 9/11. He’s a songwriter, so he wrote a song about it. He’s also am amazingly fine musician. I’m a videographer, so I made a video of the story and the song. Here it is.

2 Likes

How difficult would it have been to express concern for those shot and to comment on the senselessness of the shooting itself? Or how bigotry is unacceptable? (underscoring the comments that DT made a couple of days earlier) Or how great it was that a bystander risked his own life to intervene? Etc…Etc… there are so many ways this response could have been less…absurd.

Instead he responds in a defensive way that is all about DT and the administration. No empathy for the victims or their families.

There will be negative repercussions to this sort of thing. The best and brightest from other countries have been coming here for years to study and work and this is going to slow. These immigrants have created benefits for our country greatly, largely in red states. I saw it in small town Ohio where my grandfather lived… If governors and local officials (and citizens) do not start speaking up to try to counteract the callousness of the Administration over this murder and other bias incidents, then we will lose much. People have a basic need to feel safe.

I wonder what the conversations are like between Spicer and his wife when he gets home from work?

Canada is doing the right thing and providing a hopeful counterbalance to what is happening as a result of our new Administration… And in doing so, your country is underscoring how screwed up our current leadership is (I include congress in this) . It is not necessarily the easy way but I think and hope that it will be good for Canada and the people who are welcomed. It is our loss and Canada’s behavior deservedly shames us.

Foreign rival? OY.

1 Like

Yes. You belong.

With regard to how the government will stop such violence, look… Republicans don’t even act when gunmen shoot their own children in their school desks.

Republicans believe aggression works, and that aggression is best supported by allowing aggressors to have easy access to lethal weaponry. Republicans believe aggressors will reward them with political power, and never use lethal force against them, only against non-Republicans.

There are many in this country who believe the Bill of Rights means something very different by the phrase “well-regulated militia.” We believe that phrase validates a more organized civilian force, which terrifies authoritarian conservatives because it gives power to the people, and we believe it means a tight, neighborhood-controlled management of guns, which terrifies the sick aggressive bullies.

Your choice is to change your allegiance to a country with higher morals than Republican conservatives, or join us in the fight.

Guns will stay in America. But the Republican Party has to go.

At least most of the generals like Mattis seem to get that Canada is not a rival. Probably no turban wearer was ever greeted with more warmth at the Pentagon then our secretary of defence Harjit Sajjan.

They should have Alex Baldwin take his place.

1 Like

You are brilliant – that would be awesome. I hope someone comes up with exactly that.

1 Like

This shooting has a hero – Ian Grillot, the young man who was shot while trying to subdue the shooter.

Ordinarily, Grillot might get a presidential mention and maybe even acknowledgment Tuesday night when Trump speaks to Congress. (He probably can’t travel yet to get the full Lenny Skutnick treatment.)

But the Trumpies are so determined not to condemn incidents like this that even the chance to play up a feel-good side of the story is not enough to get them to break their silence.

What an astonishingly upside-down and disgraceful state of affairs.

3 Likes

Lots of people say it. President’s, at least of the past 40 years, don’t.

That’s my point. They may all be sons of bitches in private for all I know, but when you say stuff in public, then everyone thinks it is OK to do the same. Nixon was truly a dangerous bastard in so many ways. I don’t think he hods a candle to Trump.

I’d like to take credit, but I actually saw the suggestion on Facebook earlier today. Still it would be hilarious.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available