Discussion: WHY WAS BARR THE DECIDER? Legal Experts Puzzled By Attorney General's Obstruction Decision

Why do you keep invoking that quaint thing called precedent when you have ample evidence of a president and an enabling party and media arms who could care less about the established norms of our republic or your precious notions of precedent?

People keep drawing lines in the sand. Trump crosses them. The same people just take 5 steps back and draw another line. “If you cross this one, I’ll . . . I’ll . . . well I’ll call for an investigation, dammit”

3 Likes

So what? This is what people don’t seem to understand, particularly us liberals, who can never seem to wrap our fucking heads around it collectively: coherent, rational, truthful arguments don’t mean shit when it comes to politics. Soak that up.

The Mueller report was billed as the be-all-end-all and it was indeed widely understood and perceived as such. Your average undereducated imbecile fuckwad American is not going to give a fuck about the argument you just made. Most people are going to understand it as the decisions have already been made so why is Congress wasting our time with more witch hunting? Why is Congress wasting all this money on court battles over releasing a report that, who cares what it says on page 90 when the end conclusions are all that really matter? Why won’t they just get something done instead of these interminable show trials and hearings trying to destroy an exonerated man? Who gives a fuck about legal nuances when I want my government to go back to functioning and getting things done for once?

3 Likes

Probably won’t work twice. We’ve got his number now.

How do you type while clutching your pearls with both hands??

2 Likes

I like your optimism, but, man, what a stretch! That would be too cool to be true. A question that keeps going thru my head is how many times did Mueller leave it up to the AG when assigning guilt to the Gambino crime family?

3 Likes

Well, if nothing else, because more than half the population voted against Trump, and a whopping majority voted for a Congress that would do this very thing. You’re letting those trumpies and foxies get in your head.

3 Likes

Well for one thing, when the GOP house broke with precedent to ignore their duty to perform even a modicum of oversight, they were voted out.

4 Likes

Liked x millions

thanks!

3 Likes

Barr wrote letters to Congress without the Mueller’s report or summary of declinations and unilaterally conclude that Trump did not commit obstruction of justice but is NOT exonerated either; and no chargeable collusion for Trump et al, all within 48 hours of getting Muller’s report.

It seems there is an ongoing trickle down of Grabbing Power from Congress…Trump Grabbed P by declaring national emergency so he could move taxpayer $ for his fake mnemonic wall while Barr Grabbed Power by unilaterally declaring Trump did not commit obstruction of justice.

Taking Barr’s words at face value, then there is no reason for delaying or not releasing ALL of Mueller’s report & it’s underlying evidences with minimal reduction so we could compare Trump’s written answers to the documentation of 2800 subpoenas, 500 witnesses and other evidences!

To delay or not release report/evidences in its entirety with minimal reductions would signal that Barr’s words cannot be taken at face value & his letters to Congress were just a press release to frame the contents in Mueller’s report to his point of view similar to his unsolicited memo.

BTW, why is Barr’s son-in-law Trump’s legal adviser?

7 Likes

Because Barr is there to protect the republican party, not the president.

This concludes today’s episode of simple answers to simple questions.

4 Likes

There are a LOT of people in need of a chill pill this morning, me included. A frequent side effect of Xanax is diarrhea. We certainly don’t need that this morning!

1 Like

This is a must-read:

6 Likes

I think most liberals do understand that, and I think that many dems in congress understand it better now than they did a few years ago. We’re definitely seeing a more aggressive pursuit from House committees than we’ve seen in the past. The question is, how far can we push it? I think we can push it more, but a republican friendly media makes it difficult to know where the line is.

I think what dems in congress really need to do, besides conducting more aggressive oversight, is stand up more clearly for what government does for people, even the people who hate govt as a concept.

3 Likes

Bingo!

3 Likes

Here’s what I’d like to know, and maybe a House investigation can find out. Okay, so Barr’s position is that you can’t charge for obstruction if there is no underlying crime. The underlying crime in this case being collusion (conspiracy) with the Russians to interfere and defraud the US election.

There is a specific mention of the “Russian government” in the letter. Is Barr narrowly defining that as meaning Trump and his people never had an official contact and quid pro quo arrangement with the Russian government, and only talked to spies and other operatives who weren’t official representatives?

It would be mind-boggling if the conspiracy was that narrowly defined. But if that’s the reasoning behind a finding of no underlying crime, and therefore no possible obstruction, then we need to find out. Because that would be a clear intent to protect the President at any cost, subverting the rule of law.

4 Likes

We don’t actually know, unless we see the underlying report. First, did mueller do a section on ‘undue influence’ as a national security issue? (I.e. did trump’s actions create a fear that what the Russians knew, if revealed would hurt trump)? Second, what did he actually say about the evident willingness to accept Russian help? Trump tower, meeting, etc. third, on “obstruction” did mueller find insufficient evidence to indict, or did he feel that given the guidance on not indicting a sitting president, that it was not his job to recommend anything, and then Barr filled in the missing piece.

My guess is that mueller elected to lay out the evidence and let the political branches address it, in light of doj guidance. That is the “conservative” thing to do… barr’s Letter reads to me like an effort to hide the full scope of what mueller found evidence wise.

2 Likes

Rose colored glasses got us into this mess. I will never forget how I felt when I found out tRump won the electoral college by 70,000 votes in 3 states. I feel similar to that feeling today. Call me crazy, call me Debbie Downer, I don’t give a fuck. You don’t sit pretty and pretend right wins over might when all we’ve seen is might makes right over and over and over again with these assholes. People didn’t rise up and march because they thought everything would just work out fine in the end. They were motivated by their disgust for the man in the WH and their need to let that be heard loud and clear. How quickly people seem to want to forget.

Now, I think its time to take my leave today before I blow a gasket. Gotta walk the dog anyway.

3 Likes

No people just want normal again. They’re too busy mostly to spend all their time like we do - being upset.

3 Likes

You don’t get to normal by playing nice. Those days are gone.

1 Like

Because he’s obstructing himself?

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available