Discussion: WHY WAS BARR THE DECIDER? Legal Experts Puzzled By Attorney General's Obstruction Decision

Nobody said it’s a crime. I’m saying it’s foolish and dangerous, particularly as the establishment repeatedly shows it’s not up to the task of protecting us from predators like Trump and the Republican Party.

2 Likes

I’d suggest waiting until you read the SCO report – but that would be a cavalier suggestion as there are powerful people intent on denying you even that small break.

2 Likes

Zero probability.

(I do feel your pain.)

1 Like

Rosenstein was going to leave, but did not. Why? I think so that Barr could claim he did not make the decisions by himself.

1 Like

The pieces were mostly lucid, and somewhat skeptical, not hopeful. I’m personally hopeful about facts and the law prevailing sooner or later. You seem a bit overexcited. Congressional investigations are not a liability, they are the duty and purview of a co-equal branch of the federal government. Mueller’s investigation was methodical, measured and remarkably competent. I have no reason to question its credibility. Barr is spinning the summary much as Rudy has spun every legal development that has impugned the president for the past 18 months or so. And believe me, that has not been a good look for Rudy. It won’t be a good look for Barr either. No one said it would be easy. Forget the chill pill, buddy, and try to score some Xanax.

1 Like

Yes, I understood and agreed.

Question: What happens next?

Just one answer. I do think they request the docs and appearances 1st simply do follow protocol (to avoid if possible republiscum charges of wild Democrats on the loose). But, there really isn’t IIRC any rule or protocol on how long to wait before subpoenas fly. I doubt now much grass will grow before we start issuing subpoenas by the truckload for non-compliance.

Keep in mind Nadler is playing a good hand as he’s stated his and other committees have received tons of docs already and lots of agreement to testify, Hope Hicks as one example. It’s a poker game as he hasn’t said who has agreed and who hasn’t. Some Trump staffers have stated to the press they won’t comply but Nadler’s group is quiet…and for good reason.

I do expect Trump will claim executive privilege for Hicks just before her House testimony, cementing the fact that he’s deadly afraid of what she knows. Also and finally, those who refuse Nadler’s requests may not have many details to offer or via e-mail, text messages, etc. from others any information they could have offered in person may come out anyway for the testimony of others they were linked to.

2 Likes

Amen to that. Annnnd…As I see Lindsay Graham on my TV with the sound muted no doubt defending tRump as having no collusion, I’m reminded how bonkers he is to believe anyone can take this man credibly anymore, if they ever have.

This is a man that is head of the Judiciary Committee in the Senate, who was at Mar-a-Loco this weekend playing golf, eating fatty foods and being comped by a man he is supposed to investigate by maintaining an objective view in his role for the sake of propriety. Its surreal what we take as normal now. There is no good faith by any of these jackasses. Its all about staying in office, in power, living off the public dime and denying the rest of country except for the wealthy their piece of the pie.

4 Likes

@cervantes,

That’s kind of my point. Why should I wait to read the SCO report? If if were so different from Barr’s characterization, why hasn’t Mueller come out and publicly said so. There are 2 choices:

1. The SCO pretty much reflects Barr’s summary of it. In that case, Mueller is a coward for not indicting Don Jr. in the same manner as he indicted Cohen.

2. Barr’s summary of the SCO report is quite skewed from the original report. In this case, Mueller is a coward for not coming out and saying so in public. Given the importance of this investigation and trust the public had given him, he would be a massive coward for staying silent.

In both scenarios, Mueller comes out pretty bad in my book and bad for the republic.

1 Like

Wait – are you saying that Xanax is not a “chill pill”?

1 Like

Well, it’s fun to paint a dark, pessimistic picture, but so far, most of the challenges to Trump in the courts have not gone his way.

3 Likes

Most likely, even more blatant and ambitious corruption than what we’ve seen.

1 Like

Part of the problem is that things are happening that you cannot imagine. Please get of the bubble and enter the fight. It seems obvious that the Dems brought knives to a gunfight. Pelosi and Schumer are pretty much useless at this point.

1 Like

There is clear precedent that you cannot evoke executive privilege to hide wrongdoing. See Nixon, Richard M.

2 Likes

So far it’s all in line with Trump’s MO; blind them with bullshit and they’ll never get a clear view of anything.

That’ll happen no matter what they do or how they do it. Its a given.

1 Like

And let’s not forget that one of the only times Mueller’s team felt it necessary to make a public statement, it was to refute a Buzzfeed report that was damaging to Trump. So Mueller has shown that he’d speak up if his work was being mischaracterized.

1 Like

Well, chill pill is a mild metaphor. An edible for instance :wink:. In this case, severe intervention might be in order, because it seems like hyperventilation and a full-fledged panic attack were coming on.

1 Like

You don’t know that he did so.

Barr may well have arrogated that power to himself—and Mueller may have meant to leave it to Congress.

Unless we see the actual report, we won’t know.

9 Likes

Barr said early on that he would not release the full report if it essentially bad mouthed people who were not indicted. Since he explicitly said in his letter to congress that Mueller did not draw any conclusions, there is no reason not to release the full report.

If the president has been exonerated as claimed by every republican on the air, why shouldn’t the public see the report (with classified info redacted)? This needs to be the drumbeat of every dem candidate for any federal office. I’m not hopeful that the media will push, based on the NPR interview I heard this morning.

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available