Discussion: Why The Crazy-Long CNN Debate Solved None Of The GOP's Problems

It’s probably illegal, but maybe John Cleese should run for President?

1 Like

I don’t disagree. But he is mouthing the right words in an energetic (rolls eyes at Bush and Trump) way that played well to most viewers. Never mind there is not any on that stage who isn’t a lightweight, though I suppose Kasich may be the exception that proves the rule. And even then Kasich is a disaster waiting to happen.

1 Like

I think she was referring to the baby scene in Eraserhead.

Its remarkable to me that these clowns mistakenly believe that their view of the world represents mainstream America. While viewers were watching, every candidate who could bragged about shutting down planned parenthood in their state ad nauseum as if this is a settled issue across the nation. They spent a lot of time on this. As this circle jerk went on, Trump said not a word, letting all the governors hang themselves with not one of them having the sense to force him to publicly state his position on the defunding ’ issue’. The more they talked, the more they validated what Trump has been saying about them all along: Scott Walker is a fake, Jeb! Bush is lame, Carly can’t get anything right even when they tee up one softball after another for her (300,000 dying veterans?), and Carson is crazier than Trump is, he just voices his bullshit politely. Imagine if Trump had said what Carson did about men in prison choosing to be gay. Kasich and Paul were the only ones concerned about facts: Paul taking Christie to school for supporting criminalizing recreational marijuana, and Kasich destroying Ted Cruz on the Iran deal by voicing President Obama’s Iran position better than anyone working for the President has yet to do. There it is the Republican brain trust: Paul and Kasich. Makes me prouder than ever to be a Democrat.

2 Likes

Nope, still just two.

1 Like

Thanks for pointing out my typos! Sometimes in the heat of the moment I forget to proofread before hitting “reply”. And I certainly would not disparage Mr Obama’s ears. I am sure he hears far better than I do (as I am somewhat older than he is) among the many skills he has that are far superior to mine.

1 Like

If you’re waiting for specifics from Trump (or any of these people) you’ll be in for a long wait.

Full of Sound and Furry
Signifying nothing…

Conservative Dad is thinking of a line attributed to or adapted from Machiavelli. Macbeth killed the hell out of the king and that didn’t really help in the end. Here’s a better line from Old Nick: “he who seeks to deceive can always find someone willing to be deceived.”

1 Like

LADY MACBETH
Alack, I am afraid they have awaked,
And ’tis not done. Th’ attempt and not the deed
Confounds us. Hark! I laid their daggers ready;

the only thing missing is Palin…

It was a funny typo, which I appreciate. It especially resonates because wingnuts often focus on Obama’s ears as though they’re somehow relevant to the discussion.

1 Like

“Why The Crazy-Long CNN Debate Solved None Of The GOP’s Problems”

Wait, Wait… Run that by me again…

You are expecting the Grumpy Old Party “Debates” to solve their problems.

1. Why in the world would you WANT to solve the obvious problems in a screwed up gaggle of people like this?
  2. Is the world any safer from this squad of clowns and clods once their problems are “Solved”?
  3. Think of all the poor, starving stand up comics in night clubs all over who would lose a wealth of material if the GOP “problems” were “solved.”
    Not all “problems” in the world are amicable to rational solutions.
    Leave well enough alone.
    Especially when your enemies are destroying themselves.

The more they talk the more problems they make for themselves.

It’s not the length of the debates, the number of these fruitless attempts at trying to appear relevant or even the ridiculously large number of crackpots on the stage. It’s the fact that they aren’t saying anything that we haven’t heard before from conservatives for decades now and were not impressed with when put in practice during the Bush/Cheney Era.

Trump is entertaining in small doses (very small doses) but not really anymore effective than Palin. She at least held the same beliefs as most of the GOP base. He doesn’t. And it’s beginning to become quite evident. That’s the reason Carson is rising in the polls against him without even challenging him.

Trump is the George Wallace of Madison avenue and the GOP is now the party of the Confederacy.

1 Like

I thought Kasich came across as a schlub. No offense to all the schlubs out there, but he did not seem presidential.

Crazy is a good word for the GOP.

ummmm

He’s still doing that ‘silly dance’, its just that he’s leading and the others are following.

That’s not what Reince Prebus wants to hear. Donald Trump is a nativist. While the GOP had those types of folks at the time of the party’s founding, the party leaders at that time realized that having that type of support led to no where. Now depending on when, that reluctance soon ended after 1865, but in some form it slowly cost them the right to be considered the legitimate heirs to Washington,Jefferson etc.

Though he is one man, Trump is unfortunately the giant id of a party that wrote a post mortem election report that stated how they could no longer push minorities away from their body politic.

Various (and sometimes unknown) factors can end a political party. Slavery killed the Whigs, regionalism killed the Democratic-Republicans and surprising obsolescence killed the Federalists.

The GOP shouldn’t want to be on that particular pyre.

If he has a mandate, congressional leaders will ‘think highly’ of him for a certain time. It will be a test though.

Don’t put money on that.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available