Discussion: Why Does Creepy Uncle Joe Biden Get A Pass From Liberals?

Most pathetic of all, it looks now like SOMEONE bit at the bait pile on Youtube:

Slow news day? Here, have some fun with this:

Standing ovation! I’m on the lookout for other political websites to hang out on with some of these commenters. I’ve recently found politicalwire.com, which has shorter stories but less of the HuffPo style nonsense. I’ve also been on Raw Story and Thinkprogress.org a lot. I’m sick of the poorly written and researched articles, the hit pieces, and the false equivalence. I still hate the comment system, which is really ironic because I only come here for the comments. I refuse to pay to play on The Hive. I spend less and less time here and can foresee that dwindling to zero in the near future.

3 Likes

Provide click-bait, it looks like.

1 Like

Thanks for posting that.
I was looking for more reactions and I couldn’t find anything. I don’t even think of Facebook anymore so I overlooked the obvious.
So out of 150 posts on it, there were like, 10, that agreed with the article and and 4 of those were from the same person.

At what point do we get to declare that the author and the editor are living in Imaginationland when it comes to “sexist liberals” and “lecherous” Joe Biden?
I think the tally is the whole world versus nine friends kvetching in a Brooklyn Starbucks.

4 Likes

I didn’t feel like signing in yesterday to add my voice. Thank you, arrrrrj, for saying it better than I probably could. Josh, please take note.

3 Likes

All through the thread, people asking for examples of where Biden’s conduct was deserving of condemnation get only the sound of crickets in response.

Joe touches everybody, so it isn’t sexism. The touches are not sexual in nature or intent, so it isn’t sexual assault and it is miles away from lechery. He doesn’t hold on until he gets what he wants, so it isn’t forced. There have been no accusations of sexual harassment, so there is no indication that he continues to treat people in a way that makes them uncomfortable or that makes those who work with him feel pressured to allow him to use touch as part of his social interaction.

All that Alana and a very few supporters here and on Facebook are left with is a personal “ick” response. They don’t want some old guy kissing them on the cheek or putting an arm around them, even for entirely non-sexual reasons and even if there is no insistence behind the act. I can sympathize with that, but I won’t condemn it for the reasons in the preceding paragraph.

5 Likes

Thanks. Yes, @Josh_M, please do take note; contrary to Nona’s self-serving assessment on social media that any dispute with this piece is clearly liberal sexism, there are substantive critiques (of Nona’s own FP contribution most definitely included) from many of us who’ve been here since it was just you, and are rooting for you to make this new phase a success.

5 Likes

My first reaction to this piece is that it was meant to give more fuel to the conservatives. I love Joe Biden and found this piece really disgusting implying that he is somehow perverted. I see him as a warm and personable person who has always had the average person’s best interests at heart. This article seems to come out of nowhere from someone looking to find criticism of someone they don’t like. Each to his own I suppose, but I find nothing creepy about Biden. I see no sexual connotations in how he acts.

6 Likes

Oh please. He’s just a faux pas machine. Leave him alone. He’s just being Joey Biden. And find something important to write about for crying out loud.

Has a macro ready with the words “are pleased to announce the engagement of their”, and a note from the editor to lay off the snark.

1 Like

I understand much of the sentiment in the article but the sentence that really bothers me is this: “Firstly, it’s wrong for a man to decide what makes women uncomfortable.” This is in response to an article arguing the opposite point that the author is making. Does the author understand that writing and journalism in general involve putting oneself into the shoes of others? Is she truly making the case that only women are allowed to discuss things that affect women? How far do we extend that? Maybe only the people actually interacting with Biden be allowed to decide if they were uncomfortable rather than the author pushing her viewpoint on them? Or, because she’s a woman, does she get a free pass to speak on behalf of all other women, but a man is not allowed to speculate in any way how they may feel? If there is a black woman, is the author, who is white, allowed to speculate how that black woman might feel? What about a black man? Could the author speculate how he might feel in a situation, or is she forbidden from discussing that topic?

3 Likes

She writes “I’m a feminist”, feeling safe that the rules of the game are that she can write whatever she wants, whether it is substantiated or not, and if you disagree it means that you are misogynistic. This is actually nothing more than trolling disguised as commentary and it is pretty creepy in its own right. It also stinks of ageism, a charge every bit as substantiated as anything she emitted in this hit piece.

6 Likes

Absolutely dead on.

3 Likes

What’s an “engagement editor”?
And healthcare is “a big fucking deal.”
in this era of baby reporters, it would be good to have grown-up editors.

3 Likes

You make me weep for the future of this country, you sad, sad person.

I hold one of the most senior members of the Senate to a higher degree of accountability than shitty journalists like Tim Russert. Biden’s seat was for life in a Democratic state when 90% of Democrats opposed the war. The only reason he would be intimidated into supporting the war against his better judgement would be to cynically position himself for running for president, which disqualifies him from being president or a decent human being.

Joe Biden was a leading Democratic member of the Democratically-controlled senate. A little bit of leadership could have meant a filibuster. HE COULD HAVE STOPPED IT. He could have tried, if he wasn’t a giant piece of shit. Barack Obama pretending to be against equal rights for gay people for political gain was repugnant, but voting for murdering hundreds of thousands of people for political gain is criminal. Ignorantly defending that is pathetic.

You may see dead and maimed Iraqis and US military and say “whatever, chillax” but, unlike you, I have a sense of decency and outrage.

Whoa! Spittle on my screen. Just back up a little and it should be okay.

1 Like

Firstly, it’s wrong for a man to decide what makes women uncomfortable.

Your Majesty. (bowing, walking backwards)

1 Like

“humble braggarts”
Yeah, i got a laugh from the “What’s it like being a Blonde [aka hot] MIT engineering undergrad”. Oh, please relate the horrors of being highly intelligent and good looking while attending the best university in the country. what is that article except click bait?

2 Likes

Wow this thread has grown unbelievably ugly. ‘Opinion’ is the same justification Fox News uses for pushing all of their vile, unsubstantiated swill. Josh’s comment could have just as easily come directly from the mouth of Roger Ailes.

2 Likes

How is it an “opinion” piece solely by the author if it’s backed up by editorial statements that Joe Biden is a lech and a sexist - claims that aren’t backed up whatsoever in the piece itself?

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available