Discussion: What It Means When Obama Says ‘Thug’

Discussion for article #235849

Alternately, “thug” is the name applied to people who pull women out of cars, beat the wheelchair-bound, attack the fire department, and cut fire hoses on camera. That’s beyond rowdiness, or the issues you see when a society gives a profession a monopoly on force to avoid vendettas. It’s also very different from running a war or exercising national self defense with an instrument you don’t have to be inside.

5 Likes

“And the Obama administration knows better.”

Yes they do.

2 Likes

Shows how little I know. I always thought thugs were Indian.

5 Likes

Thats’ why I think he knew exactly what he was doing when he said it.

2 Likes

Well said!

1 Like

No one would dare call any police force “thugs.”

Wayne Lapierre would.

This means precisely what? That the President is endorsing what City Councilman Stokes called the conflation of the terms "Nr" with “Thug”? That the President doesn’t understand what the present day usage of the term means? That the President pandered to the radical right in using a word that has come to mean any Black male regardless of how stellar the person maintained their character and reputation. Or is it simply that you endorse the concept of melding the terms "Nr* and “Thug”? Or that the President simply used a term that synonymously means what ‘criminal’ or 'vandal or miscreant? Terse, one line comments invite misinterpretation unless made exquisitely clear.

3 Likes

I’d be happy to call a bunch of white kids thugs for looting and rioting after a sports victory. I’d be happy to call police officers thugs too, when their behavior warrants it. I’m sorry but the right should not be granted a semi polite alternative to the N bomb, when the N bomb remains the most accurate expression of their meaning.

Thanks for all the choices. This one works for me but I shortened it. It’s all about pandering.

2 Likes

It means that a politician picks their words carefully and that allows for several different explanations. The President has to say something but is always walking a thin line just by being a black man himself.

If he said what he really wanted to in his Professorial but easy to understand way, he would be ridiculed for being uppity and his sure to be on the mark point would be missed.

1 Like

That one. I guess “pandering” is possible, but I doubt it.

You might want to read " Buford, Bill (May 1992). Among the Thugs: The Experience, and the Seduction, of Crowd Violence. New York, United States: W W Norton & Co Inc. p. 239. ISBN 978-0-393-03381-6." which deals with soccer hooliganism, generally by white British thugs around Europe.

As you might note from the date of publication your fundamental point is in error.

1 Like

That’s true, but the president knows better. I understand the president has to walk a fine line being the first black president, but that type of pandering goes too far. This is the second time I’m not with the president.

2 Likes

So when Obama says “Thug” it means the same as when Fox News says “Thug?” Right! How stupid is this? This is a classic media attempt to create a story for their own narcissistic needs, in their 24/7 coverage of an event that won’t cover informatively.

When I grew up way back in the 60’s and 70’s, thugs were white guys.
They were the punks and the gangster wannabes who were willing to do violence.
I’m not buying this racist undertone horseshit.
A thug is a thug and the assholes who hijack a tragedy to go out and have some sport deserve all the opprobrium that can be tossed their way.

I hate to admit it. I’m smitten. I love this author. Who else could write more succinctly and with more breath of veracity about the hypocrisy involved in the criminal justice system, the ugly racist cancer destroying many people’s souls in the US that pushes the real racist thugs in this country to support their blue thugs under the cover of being tough on crime. The crime they’re talking about is obviously keeping black people locked up with any means necessary. So well written by this author. Chris Matthews I’m looking at you, bigot.

2 Likes

No he wouldn’t.

1 Like

Right back in the 60’s 70’s, not today. Times have changed. Words evolved just like the word gay evolved so has thugs.
Be mad at the people holding their knees on the back of these kids and keeping them down, not their inappropriate desperate reactions. Cops need to follow the laws too. In fact they should follow it more than anybody, since they’re trained, paid public servants who swore to uphold it. It’s not horsesh*t. US history is built on riots to promote social change and justice beginning with the Boston Tea party and Selma marches.

2 Likes

The president is pandering. He probably felt he had no choice being a black president. He still should know better and refrain from pandering to haters.

2 Likes