Discussion: US Measles Outbreak Hits Highest Level In 25 Years Thanks To Anti-Vaxxers

All you have to do is go through an old graveyard and see all the headstones for children to understand how big of a difference they made.

Seems like we’re victims of our own success. The idea that latter day misery and heartache is just too far away for some to remember and, therefore, has no bearing on today.

8 Likes

Which tells you she is a profoundly stupid person who is one of those that thinks preventing cancer in your children causes promiscuity.
Just tell her Jesus would not forgive what you do

4 Likes

I can be civil to friends and family that support Trump (though it’s getting harder).

I will discuss the science of climate change with a denier (I even change minds now and again).

However, I can give no quarter to anti-vaxxers. I tell them right away that they’re stupid, uninformed, ignorant of how statistics work, or just plain selfish. When they start in with their ‘big pharma’ crap, I just hit repeat.

Vaccines have saved more people than all other medical inventions combined, with the possible exception of antibiotics (which, strangely enough, most anti-vaxxers have no problem with despite their also being made by ‘big pharma’.). They have revolutionized the human condition. Rejecting them undercuts that foundation in a way that no other form of conspiracy nuttery can, because, while you can opt out of antibiotics to your own personal detriment, not getting vaccinated affects the base of herd immunity that makes them work.

So, no patience. Get vaccinated or stay out of the public sphere.

11 Likes

Oh not yet
We have a Presidential campaign coming where the worst president ever, who is a grifter and collaborator with the enemy is running for re-election and has a chance of winning again.

6 Likes

“Some of them were angry
At the way the earth was abused
By the men who learned how to forge her beauty into power
And they struggled to protect her from them
Only to be confused
By the magnitude of her fury in the final hour
And when the sand was gone and the time arrived
In the naked dawn only a few survived
And in attempts to understand a thing so simple and so huge
Believed that they were meant to live after the deluge.”
–Jackson Browne

1 Like

She has some special personal aspects to her opposition of Gardisil (which I would prefer not to detail here), although she does not have the case she actually thinks she has. It is a complicated psychological issue for her, but it does not justify her misguided campaign.

2 Likes

ugh anti-vaxxers :angry:

3 Likes

If scientific facts and figures won’t persuade anti-vaxxers, maybe this old Penn and Teller PSA will.

5 Likes

15 Likes

I come from a time when the only vaccine available was for smallpox, everyone got vaccinated…when my kids were young, they got every vaccine available…DPT…DIPTHERIA, PERTUSSIS[WHOOPING COUGH] and TETENAS[?] was added to smallpox vaccine…then miracles of miracles…polio vaccine was developed…when I was akid…we were quarantined in the summer. which was when polio usually struck…has anyone ever seen an iron lung…that was polio… I have had pneumonia vaccinations,shingles shots…fflu shots…chicken poxi;m not messing around with this stuff…I remember people dying from these diseases…people who refuse to vaccinate should be quarantined and not allowed in public places. Especially planes… if I saw an orthodox jew get on a plane…I would get off………

3 Likes

where’s the one discussing where Russian oligarchs funding of the NRA helps maintain the US’s high rate of mass shootings?

talk about foreign influence to destabilize our country

3 Likes

lol, she is afraid it will encourage her daughter to have sex…I’ve said it for you.

The sad part is that with these idiot anti-vaxxers out there, there can be no reasonable conversations on concerns, things like… .“does it make sense to group certain vaccinations together or so closely to each other?”.

I know a person with a medical background person who, based on research they had reviewed, wanted to separate 2 specific vaccinations from from being given at the same time to their child to request one being delayed by six months. THE CHILD WOULD STILL HAVE GOTTEN THE VACCINATIONS, just on an adjusted schedule. He was crucified and labeled an anti-vaxxer.

1 Like

Actually, her daughter died, and she blames it on a reaction to the Gardisil vaccine, required by a college sports program. I told you it was complicated. She has transformed her personal tragedy into a misguided purpose, trying to find something positive as a twisted way of explaining what happened and a way of making it something other than just a terrible accident of fate. Oddly, in doing so, she has made her tragedy even worse by involving others. She imagines a world in which there were no, or fewer, vaccines, and her daughter is still alive. Even if that were to turn out to be true, which it isn’t, I would not exchange her daughter’s life for thousands of others.

4 Likes

we are not victims of our own success…we will be survivors with science…I will smile discreetly when the anti-vaxers start whining about being sick… as I casually walk on by. I have no tolerance for stupid people.

Thanks, Rand.

Thanks, science-denying conman in chief.

3 Likes

“Oh, no - I can’t have sex with you because I might catch HPV which will cause me to develop cervical cancer in 10 - 20 years” said NO ONE EVER!

3 Likes

Hey, let’s bring back polio, too. That’d be fun.

D’ya think any anti-vaxxers are also climate-change deniers?

2 Likes

Yes, but not an absolute correlation.

3 Likes

I can’t even imagine sitting by the hospital bed while my child suffers from something that I could have prevented or attending their funeral - rare but not impossible. I’m guessing anti-vaxxers don’t even try or they wouldn’t make such ignorant choices. They are also increasing risk for babies too young to get the vaccine. I’m in public health and we’re normally very supportive and willing to work with people to accommodate their concerns… but anti-vaxxers just make me want to whap them upside the head with a shovel.

4 Likes