Discussion: UK Court: Goverment Can't Trigger EU Exit Without Parliament Approval

There may be hope for Britain yet. I hope so. This may be the only way to halt an awful mistake. The Brexit isn’'t just a bad idea or the UK. It effects thousands of people beyond the British Isles who have no vote to cast or political axe to grind. The peoples of the Commonwealth ought to have been given the right to vote as well. Perhaps now the insanity and xenophobia embodied in this awful “Brexit” notion shall have a stake driven thru its black heart.

3 Likes

From what I have read, I understand the Brexit will still go forward because of the referendum. Parliament may get to approve the terms in which case they can force the PM to accept terms that are similar to the current EU arrangement, just without the “official” member status.

1 Like

This ruling seems to suggest something different. That the government may not move forward without the approval of Parliment.

It would be delightful if this caused the government to fall.

It’s an interesting question, because Brexit would effectively repeal a bunch of laws passed by Parliament, and it’s not obvious that the Prime Minister has the authority to do that. They have the authority to withdraw from the treaty, but once treaty provisions have been enshrined in national law, abrogating that law without legislation is a bit more complicated.

And the fig leaf that Parliament can vote on the terms of Brexit once the government has negotiated them is (imho reasonably) criticized on the grounds that the approval or disapproval is mostly meaningless: once England announces its intention to leave, the EU charter boots them out in 2 years, regardless of what side agreements about trade etc have or haven’t been made.

Once article 50 is invoked, there is no way back they are out of the EU in two years deal in place or not, Parliamentary approval then is moot.

Apparently, the Brits don’t know any more about it than we do.

KInda nice… MPs cannot hide behind the referendum anymore, they will need to take responsability for what happens. It will show what MPs are made off… my bet is that they will chicken out… spineless bastards.

That presupposes that the rest of the EU members would tolerate that. They’ve signaled pretty clearly that they won’t. You want EU privileges, you have to accept EU membership terms.

1 Like

I have thought all along that the government would find a way to get out of the referendum. It is obviously a very complicated process. The benefits are murky at best; the risks are catastrophic. A rudimentary cost/benefit analysis points to no politician wanting to undertake that, unless they were wildly overestimating the positive outcomes. And all the biggest proponents scattered as soon as the referendum passed.

1 Like

This is why the US is not a true democracy but a representative constitutional republic. In theory – and I know recent history does not always bear this out – we elected informed citizens to better represent us and our interests.

Our founding fathers were suspicious of the will of the people, fearing it was too prone to be manipulated, too easily led by emotion and demagoguery.

Can you imagine asking our electorate to craft a defense or trade agreement, or negotiating a status of forces agreement?

3 Likes

Though there is animosity among the EU members, my impression is that they are also rather conflicted about the matter. Britain has a lot of trade deals with other EU members that they would rather not break.

Plus Britain has always been a bit of a special snowflake in terms of EU membership terms such as pound versus euro.

Putin was happy, so why linger.

Seriously, it is well known that Russia is quite busy with a disruption campaign against Western democracies. UKIP and Trump are just the biggest two, and whether they deliberately want to help Russia is really besides the point.

It is incredible how the American far right nowadays takes its “news” from RT. They might as well call it American Pravda.