Discussion: TX Federal Judge Rules Obamacare 'Invalid,' Appeals Sure To Follow

If the Judges look at this right, the Tax bill of 2017 and the various ACA bills of 2017 actually affirmed the legitimacy of the ACA and Congress’ intent to keep its pieces severable. Roberts doesn’t have a good case to work with to sabotage the ACA and the ACA is too important to Trump’s base. This decision will be overturned and Obamacare will live, I predict. However, the mere attack on O-Care is going to fuel the Democratic wave of 2020.

10 Likes

Handsome. Looks a little like Bradley Cooper or George Clooney-if he let his beard grow.

2 Likes

Attorneys who disagree on a lot of things agree it makes no goddamn sense.

2 Likes

The ACA was based on a Republican Plan, and did not come close to fulfilling the promises made by Obama and Pelosi. It has not helped the majority of uninsured people in the U.S. obtain healthcare.

Taking away the individual mandate (or reducing the penalty tax to $0) while also requiring coverage for pre-existing conditions is like allowing drivers to buy insurance only after they have had an accident. It is an unsustainable economic model.

We must have universal healthcare, and we must have it now.

No democracy, no justice.

Heard Jolly say this before, but bears repeating-

“I’m not sure Republicans even know what they’re fighting for right now when it comes to health care,” said David Jolly, a former Republican congressman from Florida who now identifies as an independent. “Opposing Obamacare has become reflexive GOP orthodoxy, but they just spent six months saying they’d protect pre-existing conditions. Hard to square GOP campaign promises with the court victory by GOP attorneys general.”

and…

if it’s reversed, some legal experts expect the Supreme Court to turn down the case.
Legal scholars say that if the lawsuit is taken by the Supreme Court, it’ll be in 2020 at the earliest that the justices hear the case. That could make it a defining issue in Trump’s re-election bid.

5 Likes

Taxes have been unconstitutional ever since the Citizens United ruling.

Once it is determined that money is speech, and so long as the Constitution prohibits Congress from making any law abridging freedom of speech. then Congress can make no law telling you how to spend your money. Making laws that require you to pay some of your money to the government is then clearly unconstitutional.

I’m really surprised that no one has yet brought a suit testing this. It provides an interesting dichotomy: Either Citizens United was wrongly decided or else Congress has no power to tax (at least not to require money in payment of taxes) for all that Congress’s power to tax is written into the Constitution.

3 Likes

He’s absolutely precious!

A bit of training and you’ll find out he’s smarter than you believe.

1 Like

Mixes are the best! I have 3 rescue beagles and the purer they are bred, the more heath problems they seem to have. But just bundles of love!

1 Like

Let republicans do it.

I love this.

It means we can exercise our right to be quiet, which means we don’t have to give our money to anyone we don’t want. Government cannot force us to speak. Therefore it can’t force us to pay : - )

1 Like

I repeat, the only solution is the Annihilation of Republican’s at all levels of Government at the ballot box.

1 Like

The irony is that the ER law was passed during the Reagan Administration as part of COBRA.

As I recall, although dumping was going on across the country, the case of a emergency room patient at one California hospital being transported to, and dumped in front of, another hospital in a poorer neighborhood made the National news. It later emerged that the patient was also a US veteran.

Since Reagan at the time had been bashing the USSR for having different standards of medical care for the members of the Politburo vs the average citizen, the USSR made the most of this propaganda victory.

As a result, Reagan supported the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA) - the law saying ERs can’t turn away emergency patients because they can’t afford their care.

1 Like

He who once said health care should be affordable for everyone and promised as much saying “it will be easy and great health care” says the killing of the ACA is “a great thing for our country”.
So in fact trump does not like universal health care…
Or maybe it was because it was Obama who got us universal health care. Anything Obama did is something trump is driven to kill…good, bad or indifferent. Anything and everything. It could be balancing the federal budget and wiping out the national debt. If Obama did it then it hasta be undone.

Thank the Maker my Medicare wasn’t something Obama did. But the GOP wants to kill that as well

I would go a srep further and say that the republican party ought to be outlawed. Banned. Killed. Made illegal. Considering that it’s a crime organization.

1 Like

Good thread, lots of reassurance. So no throwing the deckchairs overboard for now.

Well, there’s certainly a lot of bull being slung around.

1 Like

Yes, it is what it is.

One reason among so many.

The thing is, it sounds extreme, but it is fact.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available