Discussion: TSA Screener Sick-Outs Hit 10 percent As Shutdown Stretches Into Fifth Week

Trump & the GOP haven’t budged because they know that Dems will really start to feel the heat when stuff like SNAP and rental programs actually hit rock bottom.

This TSA stuff is not great, and yes there are a few thousand low-wage folks in pretty dire straits, but Pelosi & Schumer have proven that they’re willing to tough it out. And obviously the 800k federal employees is bad.

But soon, millions of literally destitute folks will begin literally starving in slow-motion. I read something today that said February food stamps will have to stretch for 6 weeks instead of 4.

Does anybody think that Trump or McConnell will care? Trump is a narcissistic sociopath. McConnell is the keystone of a political and cultural movement that actively desires to see “the unworthy” wither and die so as to not pollute the schools and the gene pool with “filth.”

Pelosi & Schumer are right to call the shutdown hostage-taking, and refuse to negotiate with “a gun to the head.” But we are all mistaken if we think that the GOP terrorists will stop at such mild inducements.

2 Likes

Just back from a four day trip from NYC to Austin, Tex. The TSA agents were on the job. Good for them but it’s time to get them paid. Really sad nonsense.
Of course it’s good that the pilots work for the airlines. The landing at JFK with 30 mph.winds was a bitch.

1 Like

He’s a carnival barker and has been saying he’s the smartest, biggest, best businessman for the last 40 years. He grew up working the tabloids in New York and while it’s not the national media, they are pretty rough. He’s been working them for the past 40 years. Being a con man and a carnival barker is a skill he does possess, along with self promotion.

if people aren’t paying close attention, they can believe the hype. He’s been doing it forever.

2 Likes

Normally a private plane is going to fly out of a small private airport. They don’t need security screening if they’re not going out of a major airport. They would have their own crew, but I believe the air traffic controllers are TSA employes. Someone correct me if I’m wrong on that.

1 Like

I’m hoping ATC starts to abandon the smaller towers in order to keep the larger airports operating. If you want to be flown on your private jet to a private airport - good luck with the abandoned control tower.

2 Likes

Technically, Air Traffic Controllers are part of the FAA/Department of Transportation - not TSA/DHS, but their agency is also part of trump’s shutdown.

I just watched a spokesperson for the air traffic controllers along with the head of the Airline Flight Attendants Union on Don Lemon. I’m wondering when, for safety reasons. the Flight Attendants and the Airline Pilots walk off the job in support of those who can’t strike and aren’t getting paid.

2 Likes

The bitch is a military retiree. She has another source of inome so she can afoord to be a “I got mine fuck’em,”

As I like to point out to my heavily Republican and libertarian military brethren, the DoD’s system is very paternalistic and all paid for or heavily subsidized by the taxpayer. (E.g. Commissaries, exchanges (the exchanges are self-supporting, but don’t lease their locations aboard military installations, child-care; defined benefit retirement without participant contribution, 30 accrued vacation day per year, free medical and dental, allowances for housing and subsistence–in addition to base salaries.) Yet they don’t possess a negative view of big daddyism, But they have problems with others to getting living wages and good benefits.

(The good deal military retirement , like the defined benefit pension, has gone the way of the dinosaur.)

Military service is important, only that labor should be values. Apart from combat, some of the work is inherently dangerous. But those specialties aren’t necessarily more dangerous than other occupations. And in general, the services don’t skimp on safety. I’ve been deeply and repeatedly inculcated in ORM, CRM and all aspects of the safety culture.

In a organization in which its members are sworn to risk or sacrifice their lives, avoidance of the accidents and mishaps and the cost in lives, medical treatment and equipment is extremely important.

4 Likes

Right, and our Constitution gives this self-serving idiot near-plenary powers. That’s the worst part.

Actually, trump wanted to be a team owner in the NFL and they turned him down. So being able to bash the NFL while also criticizing/insulting black players was a two-fer for donnie.

2 Likes

Actually a trifecta for the scumbag with their acquiescence and fear.

Well , Dumbo HAS been told to bankrupt America .

PP is not fine with the NFL. The league is one more elite clique that spurned him. He is butthurt about it.

He’s not a successful business man but he played one on tv.

1 Like

TRMS had a discussion on how the shutdown is going to destroy LE, FBI etc. Very depressing. Seems right out of a Putin playbook.

How to destroy a democracy? Take out the referees - judges, LE, etc. Fat Nixon with his co-conspirator the Mitchreant are taking the country down.

Coming through LAX from Stockholm yesterday was a breeze. 17 minutes from deplaning to the curb, including baggage retrieval and a long walk. It was like customs was operating with a skeleton crew and there was this fuck-all attitude. But you can’t argue with the good result!

What I understand is McConnell is going to bring this to the floor of the Senate where it will lose, but by bringing it to the floor he might be able to pass something the Senate will approve which will send it to the house to see if the house can pass something similar. it is intended to give the GOP the initiative and an opportunity to negotiate without Trump.

I’ve learned just what a complete nothing he was as a businessman until NBC decided he’d be a good entertainer in the role of successful businessman. Viewers bought it.

IIRC the rule (49 CFR 1550.7) that requires screening passengers and crew of 12,500 lb and above aircraft applies where ever the departure and destination. What would be the point otherwise? The mad terrorist intent on flying his chartered Gulfstream into the new WTC could just plan around it.

“They don’t need security screening if they’re not going out of a major airport”

Says who?

Disagree most strenuously

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available