Discussion: Trump's New Chief Of Staff Once Called Him A 'Terrible Human Being'

@pmaroneyb - I think because it always devolves into dehumanizing the other. And if we deplore it in them, we can’t do it ourselves. It took me until my late 30’s to really get that 2 wrongs don’t make a right. I don’t like them, I don’t like their trashy ways and foul mouths and dirty actions, and I feel a rage and contempt that I do my best to contain. But if I start thinking they are subhuman - then I am one step closer to their mind set.

3 Likes

that would be the best. And you’d write a killer article about the trip.

1 Like

I like to think of them sinking back into apathy. All over the nation easing themselves back down on the ratty couch on the front porch, cracking that first six-pack of the morning and grudgingly admitting that universal health care was a good idea because look at Kelly’s boy, he had that operation that saved his big toe and it didn’t cost a cent. Then they go on to discussing their glory days in high school…

and never vote agin.

5 Likes

yeah, bill was a tough one for me. philanderer yes, but he liked women as human beings - and a lot of powerful men don’t

2 Likes

as I recall there’s a weird post-nuclear bit where a man runs down the side of a volcano through giant dandelions…

as i’ve said, i just watch the cherry blossom orchard dance

then maybe totoro if I have a cold

1 Like

Oh, no disrespect. Hasn’t done Kogonada any harm.

1 Like

Dimly—there was some sort of player system that used them? I’m mostly a late or non-adopter, so I just saw those things in department stores when department stores were a thing. One year my sister got me a DVD player because she was simply outraged as an American that I didn’t have one. Mostly stream stuff now.

And I will short his paycheck, like I do with all my employees.

3 Likes

I like his early work because the women are actual 3-D humans. I like kurosawa, but his women are either negligable jokes or monsters.
the wife in throne of blood springs to mind…

anyway, it was on one of those criterion bonus features where I learned that in his movies, those are real arrows and archers shot them into wooden blocks the actors wore beneath their clothing. prolly can’t do that anymore.

1 Like

I like it – he had the same kind of baffled, disgusted squint Clint Eastwood was master of …

He’s just the “acting” CoS, since he’s on probation. If he tries to “manage” Trump, he’s out. Perhaps they have an explicit agreement that he can stay on and pretend to be CoS, as long as he does nothing except keeping a close eye on everyone else except DJT.

3 Likes

Well, pretty much everyone did, it’s just that the GOP is so feckless they roll over instantly

Now I’m thinking about poor old Yohei’s last words, “I defended my spot,” an actual well-known comedian playing a rustic cowardly clown who dies thinking about how he was brave and dutiful. Maybe with Kurosawa there’s a general pity for the striving set against the ultimate futility of all striving. Both his men and his women seem subject to that. The women in the modern films seem keen to begin asserting themselves, I’d say. From the little Ozu I’ve seen and the more I’ve read about he does seem to have fuller portraits of women, and give them the central roles. More novelistic.

2 Likes

‘Basket of deplorables’ has a nice ring to it.

3 Likes

I always think of Yohei’s death as being about how a man can do more than he think he can. And how we really are capable of bravery and self-sacrifice, if we get beyond the roles we’ve been playing.

1 Like

Even Mulvaney is right once in a while. Purely by accident, of course.

1 Like

And that was what Kikuchiyo most wanted for all of them, to transcend their roles and stand up for themselves. And he grew affectionate with Yohei, and was enraged by his death. And he never knew they buried him as a samurai. And Rikichi was finally happy again, having avenged himself. And Katsushiro couldn’t see how the restoration of normality meant he and Shino had to part, and that her voice was breaking as she sang while she planted, and she melted into in the line of other peasant women, just another villager again.

A near-perfect film, except for those damn wipes. :smile:

3 Likes

There’s a film-streaming service called Kanopy, which I think originates with one of the UC schools. It’s available for free (to members, I think) through the New York Public Library and other public libraries, plus universities. I’m not sure how you get access otherwise, but they have some of the Criterion Collection films, as well as a bunch of other stuff. www.kanopy.com

3 Likes

Good to know. I like free. : ) I go with iTunes because it’s easy and retail but their art content is pretty thin. But I bought, bought mind you, The Big Lebowski for five bucks the other day. If you nose around you can find bargains.

ETA my local library system isn’t offering this, but I requested they do so. They’ve got good stuff so I’m sure they’d try to if they could.

Terrible like Tyrannosaurus Rex, but with even smaller hands…

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available