Discussion: Trump's New Chief Of Staff Once Called Him A 'Terrible Human Being'

All the cool kids talk about Ozu and I get that but yeah, gotta love K. And Mifune was a good looking guy in his day, no doubt. Me, I have a man-crush on Takashi Shimura because I think he’s one of the greatest film actors who ever lived. I’m always suggesting to people when the subject comes up that they see him in “Ikiru” and “Seven Samurai” one soon after the other and tell me what they think.

5 Likes

Did you ever see Kurosawa’s Dreams? I love that movie.

Yeah Takashi is a great actor but not a very handsome man, in my opinion. hahaha

3 Likes

No, there’s a lot I haven’t seen. I own the big ones and watch them over and over. BTW Criterion is creating its own streaming service they plan to roll out in the spring. If you put your name as a charter member or some such you get 10 percent off.

2 Likes

Of course you can use vulgarities. But if use body parts to be vulgar, you may get some push back. We are all adults and we all make our own choices, eh? There isn’t really a “not allowed,” just consequences.

3 Likes

So, you don’t think Trump should hire anyone? I presume that even people who defer to him think that he is scum.

1 Like

In defense of Mulvaney, who hasn’t called Trump a terrible human being? Hell, Malania says it several times a day.

3 Likes

Mickey, Mickey, Mickey, and you haven’t even worked for him yet.

Just wait.

1 Like

Yes, and it rings my bell about the unfairness of the hand-holding the frightened privileged need. I’m not sure I can get over that hump let alone minority groups. Good article. ETA quote:

The problem for the modern left is that none of this is emotionally satisfying. It’s just hard, hard work. Push too hard, and you risk fostering even greater resentment and reaction. But let people off the hook, and the myths they perpetuate about race and national identity might never get punctured.

Above all, it also rings as profoundly unfair. Why should a group that still enjoys the momentum of historic privilege, and is still afforded outsize political weight, be handheld through an era of demographic change? And why should minority groups, who continue to suffer from oppression, be the ones to extend that hand?

5 Likes

How many Scaramuccis will he last?

A List of other Humorous Time Units

Smoot

The Smoot is a unit of length, defined as the height in 1958 of Oliver R. Smoot, who later became the Chairman of the American National Standards Institute (ANSI), and then the president of the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). The unit is used to measure the length of the Harvard Bridge. Canonically, and originally, in 1958 when Smoot was a Lambda Chi Alpha pledge at MIT (class of 1962), the bridge was measured to be 364.4 Smoots, plus or minus one ear, using Mr. Smoot himself as a ruler. At the time, Smoot was 5 feet, 7 inches, or 170 cm, tall. Google Earth and Google Calculator include the smoot as a unit of measurement.

The Cambridge (Massachusetts) police department adopted the convention of using Smoots to measure the locations of accidents and incidents on the bridge. When the original markings were removed or covered over during bridge maintenance, the police had to request that someone reapply the Smoot scale markings. During a major bridge rebuild, the concrete sidewalk was permanently divided into segments one Smoot in length, as opposed to the regular division of six feet.

7 Likes

One Terrible Human Being calling another Terrible Human Being a Terrible Human Being but quite happy to work directly with and for that Terrible Human Being.

8 Likes

Trump’s New Chief Of Staff IS A ‘Terrible Human Being’ …

2 Likes

Yes, and I can’t imagine this president has spent a lot of time with his OMB Director. That just doesn’t seem like something that would really interest PP, so I doubt they’ve spent too terribly much time together. But they will now.

Same. I go to Vegas for the debauchery.

6 Likes

:joy:

Now I want to go to Vegas, but only if I get to go with you.

Since Mulvaney has already talked shit about Trump, you know that’s how he really feels so we’ll see how much he enjoys getting screamed at. I am thinking that didn’t happen when he was OMB Director.

3 Likes

I just enjoyed the hiring process that resulted in Micky M’s appointment to Chief of Staff so much. It was far more exciting than the appointment of the christian conservative boofer and rapist to the Supreme Court after a fake FBI investigation.

The Nick Ayers guy wanted a term that was shorter than three months! Cuck Kushner, who was Chief of Staff on SnapChat to Mr. Mo BoneSaw (PBUH) of the Crown Prince of the Land of the Two Holy Mosques and Wahabbi Terrorists, and Chris Christie were both interviewed with neither accepting.

2 Likes

Thing is, what Mulvaney said is what EVERY SINGLE REPUBLICAN thought (with the exception of never Trumpers), and mostly still thinks. Like when Byron York just said the other day on Fox (?) that Trump’s payments to mistresses are unethical, and they look really bad, but they aren’t illegal (which is untrue). This is how they all threaded the needle, impossibly, to rationalize voting for him. He’s disgusting, but, well, we’ll support him anyway so long as he doesn’t break any obvious big laws–and of course now that it’s getting harder to deny he did, even that is being put the test.

Curiously, I cannot think of a single Democrat I’ve voted for where I thought, “terrible human being, but I’m supporting them anyway.” There have been a few, no doubt, who, once judged as a terrible person, I would/did not support. We can debate the extent to which Clinton falls into this category, but his flaws and failings are balanced against some great personal and political strengths. No one is as terrible as Trump.

4 Likes

YES! Stop asking me to be nice to people who don’t see my humanity because of my skin color or my gender.

5 Likes

I’m not sure even Las Vegas could handle the two of us together.

That’s another good point. Probably when the two have interacted it’s been light and jovial because Mulvaney isn’t doing anything that pisses him off. He’s basically doing the job PP wants him to do, but wait until he’s got to bring him some bad news. And there will be a lot of very bad news going forward. Wait until PP’s throwing things and cussing up a storm and taking out all his frustration on those around him. Yeah, you just enjoy that, Mick.

2 Likes

The article concludes that we just have to show these people (see, I am trying to restrain myself!) that we care about them, that we listen to them, that we help them find solutions in their cultural context (I am trying not to scream. Maybe @mattinpa can help with his analysis, sigh)

5 Likes

O my fucking god I am so sick of coddling the worst this country has to offer. I will not do it.

6 Likes

I can’t help with the emotions we face in looking at what they did. Can’t help there one bit. FWIW I think the research on this does show you can’t rub their noses in it and win hearts and minds. Can’t call them stupid or blind or racist or shallow cowards. But you sure want to. And hell, their privilege is, in fact, under threat. Too fucking bad. But we have to live with these people. Tell you what, let’s postpone this discussion for a cheerful, sunny day in the spring. I don’t enjoy talking about making nice with Trump voters.

12 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available