Discussion: Trump's Move To Gut Obamacare Gives Dems Chance to Refocus After Mueller

Those same people are also fearful of losing their job, since it’s directly linked to their coverage.

We’re less free when we’re locked into employers in order to keep insurance coverage, and can’t take the risk to jump to different opportunities.

2 Likes

How many people really have great coverage these days? Our insurance is supposedly of the “Cadillac” variety, and it’s pretty crappy compared to what I had 20 years ago.

1 Like

You are promoting the attack ads.

Please stop.

Instead, you could oppose the attack ads and propose solutions.

But ‘the sky is falling’ posture is self-fulfilling.

I advise a different strategy to promote your concerns, which we share.

White supremacy.

4 Likes

Oh, no disagreement. I want to see us move into the modern world, and have the Government provide the coverage.

2 Likes

Here’s an idea. Someone in Dem leadership needs to release a letter summarizing the Trump replacement plan for Obamacare. “Doctors allowed to shoot patients on sight if they don’t like their prognosis.” It would be at least as honest as the Barr letter.

3 Likes

I think the actual quote is “Doctors will review political registration cards prior to providing care.”

4 Likes

Coverage is still adequate. Insurers farm out their drug biz and it’s dreadful tho. Sometimes, you need to get your MD to certify that cheaper drugs are inadequate in order to avoid higher charges. Formulary nonsense is common.

It’s called thinking strategically. We can discuss how the opposition will frame things without promoting their agenda. Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I’ll keep imagining what we’re up against.

3 Likes

That would work for me. I’m down with anything that can get everyone covered, bring down costs, and get passed by Congress.

Krugman pointed out that there are multiple ways to get there, so whatever is most politically palatable…

5 Likes

I repeat my above response, which you seem unwilling to consider.

Your strategy of repeating attacks without proposing why they are wrong is inadequate if not compounded with solutions.

My coverage is adequate, but I’m lucky that I’m mostly healthier than I was in my 20s and 30s, because I would have to pay a much bigger co-pay than back then and I have a much bigger deductible for both prescriptions and medical care. I’m also more limited in where I can go for care, and I have to avoid getting hit by trucks etc. because if you go to an emergency room, who knows whether the anesthesiologist is in-network, etc.

A lot of people I know have really big deductibles and co-pays, so I shouldn’t complain, I guess.

That’s something Pete Buttigieg addressed in a campaign video – that the Democrats really are the party of freedom and we need to stop yielding that ground to the blowhards in the GOP (of course he didn’t say “blowhards” because he’s a born diplomat).

4 Likes

[quote=“tena, post:19, topic:86107”]
From there it’s all just been held together by I don’t know what.
[/quote]Bullshit has amazingly adhesive properties, you know.

5 Likes

I’m on Medicare and also have a Medicare Advantage plan from my retired wife’s employer. I could have had one from mine but hers is better for us.

Extending the Medicare model – which is basic single-payer (Medicare) with fringes offered by the private insurer – to all Americans is one way of assuring quality universal health care. I have very few if any restrictions on choice of local providers.

4 Likes

I think you hit on what has been the glue.

4 Likes

Yes, don’t make the perfect the enemy of the good.

Krugman gets it.

2 Likes

George Carlin may have said it best (he said a lot of things the best). I wish he was still around for this.

4 Likes

Flood was hired specifically to support Trump on exec privilege claims. He did this for Cheney on Libbygate and did his job well. If he is leaving, it suggests that exec privilege isn’t going to be a dominant fall back position for Trump. That might mean that the focus shifts to releasing the Mueller Report w/redactions. That would be a net win for Dems, but obviously the devil will be in the redaction details.

6 Likes

khy: There has to be some vehicle for expert review and subsequent exercise of authority as needed by Dems, lest the redactions serve as yet another aspect of the GOP coverup.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available