Discussion: Trump's Move To Gut Obamacare Gives Dems Chance to Refocus After Mueller

It won’t matter, if what the Democratic Presidential candidate ends up promising is a total re-configuration of the health care system, and it looks scary enough to turn off voters. Even losing their insurance under ACA (with a worthless Republican promise to replace it somehow) will look preferable to “Socialized Medicine.”

1 Like

Emmett Flood has announced he is leaving the WH Counsel. Sounds like he’s not going to be around to fight on exec privilege. That’s very interesting. Perhaps there is a realization at DOJ/WH that they will need to release the Mueller Report. They will likely focus on redactions which will lead to additional fights.

9 Likes

This is the DOJ. Barr, not Trump. Barr is not stupid. He is a GOP cleaner.

2 Likes

OUTLINING???

Try distorting. Please dont be suckered like all the suckers you guys are covering.

https://images.app.goo.gl/TrPan97D51pqhimN8

1 Like

I don’t care about McConnell. Pelosi has her team on message. Emmett Flood is leaving his post. Keep the pressure on and the report will release.

5 Likes

May I just offer the best quote from 2009: “Keep Government Hands Off My Medicare!”

People are very attached to their own personal coverage. It’s just the “other people” out there who don’t deserve it.

When faced with the imminent loss of their own personal coverage, there will be an uproar.

2 Likes

Exactly! I think this latest move is an attempt to push Dems into that corner. We can’t take the bait.

1 Like

Doesn’t matter. And if it is a ploy, it’s a stupid one. The Mueller report isn’t anything that can be run with, so if they’re giving us themeans to shift focus (and attention), they’re doing us a favor. Oh, let the investigations proceed, damage his credibility with death by a thousand small almost imperceptible cuts.

But the urgent matter is we need to scream loud and clear about healthcare and all bread and butter issues. That can’t stop.

3 Likes

Agreed. I think it only hasn’t leaked yet because the group is still too small, and they’d be able to quickly identify them.

Once that spreads beyond that core 5-10 people, it’s going to leak quicker than a hooker on Trump.

Any good insight on this and the meanings? I’m not too read into him.

3 Likes

True. And of course I agree with you that the Democrats have to resist the urge to move on from the Mueller report (which according to today’s WaPo headline House Democratic leaders are now doing).

And by the way, I just want to say how stunning it is to me that Democratic leaders would even consider such an idea. Like everything with Trump, the strategy is so clumsy and ham-handed: Barr is brought in to block the Mueller report and sure enough he does it and in the most blatant manner possible. And then the Dems—and the media—fall for it?? It’s like watching a boxer throw a punch at you in slow motion, but still managing to get knocked out by it.

2 Likes

Please don’t further promote red-baiting. Single-payer funding is not ‘socialized medicine’. The practice of medicine can thrive more greatly with universal health care due to decreases in indirect costs, less paperwork, etc.

3 Likes

How about All-Payer? Buttigieg is behind it. Makes sense to me.

ETA: Slow, incremental change you can believe in!

3 Likes

OK these people are idiots. Healthcare was a big part of the 2018 Blue Wave and they just handed the fight back to us?!

6 Likes

That’s in the appendix to the report, so Barr didn’t feel it necessary to bring it up in his memo. :wink:

5 Likes

I don’t see where your problem with this is. We have private insurance in this country, the larger number of people have coverage via private insurers that is paid for by their employer or their unions – or themselves – and these people fear losing the coverage that they have via a shift to government single payer.

So running on “single payer,” is a huge minefield – as Kamala Harris already found out.

2 Likes

Is All-Payer the same as the funding schedule for Medicare?

I am not the person to ask that comparison of. I’ll rely on those in The Hive who are more well-versed in the deets than I am to answer that for you.

I’m channeling the likely attack ads, that’s not my personal view. In my ideal unicorn rainbow world, we would have had a Northern European style safety net and healthcare system 30 years ago.

1 Like

Why don’t you understand that the current funding system is extremely wasteful?

You continue to equate for no valid reason funding with delivery of healthcare, and blame everyone else for your confusion.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available