Discussion: Trump's Move To Gut Obamacare Gives Dems Chance to Refocus After Mueller

hahahahahahahahahahah I can’t wait until she gets back to it.

2 Likes

I don’t get it. With Trump’s ability to redefine reality with over-the-top lies, why doesn’t he just take credit for Obamacare, and say he is responsible for its successes? He is capable of doing it.

It must be because he hates people so much, he wants them to suffer. But then again, so do 40% (and counting) of Americans.

6 Likes

Medicare Advantage for everyone. I bet the insurance lobby would jump at the chance and Republicans would end up with egg all over their faces for the general election next year. Trump can squawk but he can’t fly.

Yes, I think you are right. For those who disagree, please explain why a Colorado initiative for single-payer went down to overwhelming defeat:

2 Likes

It went down in uber liberal Vermont too.

When you add in that single payer/Medicare for all would also change the coverage for current Medicare recipients, support dwindles even further, and that’s an age cohort that votes.

@sandyh

Medicare Advantage is not recommended by any insurance savvy commenters. If you think for profit insurers should be involved, and they very likely would have to be, then it should be Medicare as primary insurer with supplemental provided by the private companies. Or it could be that recipients are given the choice, to go with Advantage plans or Medicare as primary with a supplemental plan. I do realize Advantage plans are popular with some, despite what experts recommend.

1 Like

Kevin Drum has quite a good take on this today.

https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2019/03/let-us-now-praise-republicans-sort-of/

So what’s going on in the aftermath of the Barr memo? The Washington Post reports that many Democrats want to give up on investigating President Trump:

Many Democrats appeared eager to pivot back to health care,
an issue that cut their way during last year’s midterm elections, after
a summary of special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s report suggested
it was far less damaging to Trump than many had expected.
And Republicans?

U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., on Monday laid out his
next steps for dealing with the aftermath of Robert Mueller’s
investigation into President Donald Trump’s 2016 campaign. First up: Launch an investigation into whether Hillary Clinton, Trump’s former democratic challenger, got help from President Barack Obama’s Department of Justice.

As much as we despise this stuff, you have to hand it to Republicans.
They never gave up on Benghazi. That led directly to Hillary’s emails,
and they never gave up on that. It seemed hopeless, but they never gave
up. And in the end, they won. They managed to get even a buffoon like
Donald Trump elected president.

2 Likes

That is the MO of all Christofascists. They want to cause pain and suffering to prove they are still alive. Quality of life is a big problem for those who really don’t have any faith in themselves or anything else.

3 Likes

You have to be bold and not afraid to offend those who are punishing the poor and sick. Jesus wasn’t and the world made Him a God. I’ll settle for just knowing we tried to be human.

1 Like

Please spare me your mansplaining patriarchal proclamations. I’m not afraid to offend. I’m afraid of losing the election in 2020 and if you’re not, you’re a fool.

1 Like

Quite likely, I think. Against all odds, we did get Obamacare. That was quite an accomplishment, given that America is not by any stretch a left-wing country.

TPM is of course a left-wing site. But if one takes the comment section here as evidence for what the majority of the country would agree with, one would be making an enormous mistake.

By some (no small) miracle, Obamacare is still standing. My advice to all here is to focus on saving its remnants and restoring what has been taken away from it. And then building on it.

2 Likes

While it is critical to focus on healthcare legislation, gun legislation, or jobs creation, it is also equally critical to defend our democracy, sovereignty and our rule of law embodied by the USC as well as the moral compass of our country. Otherwise, all the legislating would be all for naught.

That said, it is worthwhile to note that Trump/Rs will say one thing ie they support keeping preexisting conditions vs what they actually do ie argue in court that ACA should be struck down or gut ACA again and again!

4 Likes

Excellent post, @castor_troy. :boom:

I prefer Obamacare’s Death Panels, thank you very much.

1 Like

They’ve gone beyond cynicism to pathology. Paul Krugman

Of all the political issues that divide us, health care is the one with the greatest impact on ordinary Americans’ lives. If Democrats hadn’t managed to pass the Affordable Care Act, around 20 million fewer Americans would have health insurance than currently do. If Republican-controlled states hadn’t refused to expand Medicaid and generally done as little as possible to support the act, national progress might have tracked progress in, say, California – so another 7 or 8 million people might have coverage.

2 Likes

Democrats can do both. No reason to limit our options. We hit them hard on healthcare, the #1 issue to Americans and we keep up the pressure to release the Mueller report.

1 Like

Maybe not. NDP understands I think that people who’ve had employer provided coverage forever get a little jittery at the thought of jettisoning it.

On Tuesday, Democratic leaders, including Speaker Nancy Pelosi, will put aside, at least for now, the liberal quest for a government-run “Medicare for all” single-payer system and unveil a more incremental approach toward fulfilling those campaign promises. Building on the Affordable Care Act, they would offer more generous subsidies for the purchase of private health insurance offered through the health law’s insurance exchanges while financing new efforts to increase enrollment.

They would also reverse actions by the Trump administration that allow insurance companies to circumvent protections in the Affordable Care Act for people with pre-existing conditions. Insurers could no longer sell short-term health plans with skimpy benefits or higher premiums for people with chronic illnesses.

@26degreesrising

2 Likes

Agreed. What we have is the Barr report from the man who asked for the job of AG to specifically deep six the eventual Mueller report.

2 Likes

In 2016 we were in the pits, came back in 2018 and took the house. We are going to work just as hard to take the senate and the Presidency in 2020. We all get down at times. Take care of yourself, we are all in this together we’ve got your back.

3 Likes

It’s more than 20 million people. If the consumer protections are stripped out—pre existing conditions, caps on coverage payouts—that applies to ALL policies.

ACA put safeguards into all plans, not just individual plans or plans on the exchanges.

People in group plans cheering trump on will be shocked that they are hurting themselves and people they care about.

Maybe that brings about the revolution you mention.

Maybe they will just all curse about Obama some more.

Thanks. I completely agree with Kevin Drum on this.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available