Discussion: Trump's Lawyer: He Doesn't Think The Stormy Daniels Deal Is Valid

Avenatti may say something different. But then Stormy cannot be fined as per the NDA

6 Likes

Translation from Lawyer-speak: Please, please, PLEASE dismiss this case so Donnie doesn’t have to be deposed. We know we can’t avoid it (see Clinton v. Jones), and we know he’s going to lie his ass off under oath (and that’s a damn big ass), so we’re going to do everything we can to make this go away. Stormy and Avenatti won’t take the money, so we’re getting desperate now.

33 Likes

Well don’t forget that Trump and Cohen got what they wanted: She couldn’t speak of their “association” prior to the election.
Trump got what he wanted, her silence, and time to bind his base to him without repercussions.
I just now want to know how he is going to write off all these expenses. Will the RNC still help him pay for these legal bills?

16 Likes

The World’s most expensive “mulligan” ever.

4 Likes

Does Trump now admit he screwed her, paid her hush money and publicly lied about everything related to these events?

13 Likes

Rhetorical question! He never admits anything!

8 Likes

The whole corporation is a criminal enterprise from its inception. Cohen created it to launder illegal campaign contributions and later diversified into fraudulent influence peddling. No theory of nothing or other says SD should pay it a cent.

12 Likes

Campaign funds for the 2020 run are being used for legal defenses for a variety of schemers and misfeasors in TrumpLand. It’s why the campaign paperwork was filed so quickly after the Inauguration.

9 Likes

I’ve been paying automobile insurance premiums for over 45 years and never had a chargeable accident. Does this mean I can claim I never needed the insurance and get all my money back?

16 Likes

Quite the dealmaker. I paid you 130K for nothing in an agreement I don’t consider valid! Oh by the way could I have the money back? Love, Donald

26 Likes

No need to worry about that precedent. With Kavanaugh on the Supreme Court, that case can be overruled. It applies only to a Democratic President. The work of a Republican President is so important, so vital to the nation’s survival, he can’t possibly be interrupted for some silly deposition.

13 Likes

Trump will supply written answers in the Zervos case:

6 Likes

Testifying under oath is like Trump Kryptonite. It strips him of his superpower of lying and making things up at whim.

13 Likes

Funny how “multi-billionaire” Trump and “fabulously wealthy” Cohen still think that a measly $130k is worth pursuing. Gives me reason to doubt the adjectives.

11 Likes

So if the agreement wasn’t valid and they want their 130K back, did they defraud Clifford by making her give up a thing of value (the money to be gotten from interviews at election time, publicity, potential book deal etc) by offering her a fake NDA? She’s certainly been put to serious expense as a result. With a lawyer who was apparently in collusion (ahem) with the offering parties that sure sounds like a fraud.

12 Likes

I have a feeling it’s not about the money being returned to them as much as denying it to Daniels. I suspect she will sell her story when the deal is voided for much more. I’m sure she has many other details other what she had already leaked out in print years before the NDA was signed. Besides, her career was waning before this NDA hit the news. Both her and Avenatti have received millions worth of publicity. She’s a smart cookie and will maximize her payout. I have nothing but respect for the way she’s conducted herself so far.

7 Likes

Unless of course the NYT’s Gail Collins is right when she calls Trump a “thousandaire”?

10 Likes

I strongly suspect that the Trump “fortune” is a house of cards, a collection of underwater properties being propped up by income from some licensing agreements and laundered oligarch money. It’s probably very close to being a Ponzi scheme.

19 Likes

This smells to me like an attempt to protect Trump’s exposed flanks from Daniels and perhaps the NY courts before going into the final battle with Mueller/Rosenstein/Sessions. I expect Trump to annouce that he has found the mole and then use this excuse to clean house of all of these inconvenient figures before appointing someone who will fire Mueller.

4 Likes