Discussion: Trump To Remove Chief Of DC National Guard In Middle Of Inauguration Day

What’s the big deal? Barron wanted the job. Melania said she thought he could handle it and it would get him out of the house a few hours a day. As far as the timing: you know how impatient kids can be… Barron didn’t want to wait until the day after his daddy became “el generalissimo”… oh, yeah, that’s just the cute pet name the family has given Drumpfy.

If his men had any sense of the military, they would march out as their commander left, essentially stealing the spotlight from the short-fingered vulgarian.

If he’s not a political appointee, he can’t be summarily dismissed by the incoming Adminstration. There are only two choices - political appointee or career civil servant/military officer.

I don’t know the protocol about this, so I’m wondering who will take over the command at 12:01pm. Something is compelling me to believe that if there is no commander in charge of the Guard, the commander-in-chief takes over, which would free Donnie to order them to do his bidding should any protests arise at the inauguation. And if there is no replacement by the 21st, he will be the ‘decider’ about what to do over the women’s march. Can somebody clarify this?

Ignore the inauguration of this barbarian. Instead, give the outgoing president a standing ovation when he leaves the White House for the last time.

1 Like

I’m thinking his Tr(i)umphal march will be “Heil to the Thief” (thanks Radiohead for the idea)

Help with the lyrics, please.

So now trump insults the National Guard? Can the Army be far behind?

The second in command would step up. To me this is stupidity in the extreme considering the general is in charge of one layer of trump’s security.
Just one more item of incompetency on display. In the end even GOPers will tire of this…assuming trump does not kill us all.

2 Likes

The general is a patriot. He will have his second in command ready to take over and make damned sure all his preparations are set. Bet those serving under the general are pissed off bigly by Peetus’ arrogant move.

2 Likes

Up thread I posited that if I were the general I’d issue an order for my troops to stand down and then I’d resign and suggest that my 2nd in command resign as well at his/her discretion and let trump take care of things himself. Trump has no authority yet, to issue any order or demand. Not until he is sworn into office. So at ths pint he can pontificate all he wants and the general can tell him, as a civilian, to piss off.

The Constitution of the United States
Article I (Article 1 - Legislative)
Section 8
To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States,

I know that Truman fired MacArthur but he was Regular Army.

I can’t find the constitutional amendment allowing Trump to fire this guy. It’s up to Congress.

DISHONORABLE…

NO DOUBT
TRUMP is a FASCIST PIG.

How is he able to do anything before he is even sworn in?
Does a President-Elect have powers?

Why give the rabid Trumpsters something to attack on with this report? The commander’s a presidential appointee, as with all appointees he submitted his resignation effective at the end of the presidential term. This is SOP. Yes, Trump could have asked him to serve another term, as Obama did when the commander resigned at the end of Bush’s second term. That didn’t happen, but it is inaccurate to say Trump removed him - you can’t remove a person who no longer is in the position. It’s also somewhat foolish to suggest there will be chaos because of this. We’re talking about a well established chain of command with - one would assume - has a solid plan for the weekend - if not, the commander had not done his duty.

The comparison to the diplomatic families is a false equivalency, every piece of the Guard will be there, with all orders intact and the chain of command in place to carry out the orders. They’ve done this before and, since they are, again one can assume, well trained for what they need to do.

Why give Trumpsters the opportunity to even suggest this is “fake news” and that “liberals lie” when the actual facts say nothing of the sort that Trump ordered anyone to be removed? He resigned, Which is what appointees do. I was attacked for stating the actual facts by a guy who had called it fake news, and gave all kinds of scenarios where it could have been different rather than just saying this is wrong and given facts. Because that wasn’t his issue], he knew it and he wanted to do the usual winger attack on the poor liberal who wouldn’t accept Trump’s in charge and tough, throwing in some false equivalencies and actual inaccuracies because that’s what they do. Poor dear, bless his heart. Don’t give these cranks anything to attack, stick to the facts. That’s journalism, that’s what will be necessary. TPM was pretty good in not buying into the general disbelief/play along with Trump during the campaign. Don’t do it now.

Here is reality from a retired military lifer, who more strongly says what I’ve said (and, yes, the winger who who attacked me ignored all this because liberals lie…)

NO!!! Because the story is wrong, the commander was a presidential appointee and resigned, as all appointees do, he was NOT fired! If the Guard walked out, they would be in real, consequential dereliction of duty, and very much insulting their commander, not supporting him. They have a plan, they have their orders, and they need to carry out their orders. Since they were prepared by the commander, who served under the current and Bush administrations, one can assume the plans and orders are well done, and the plans and orders WILL remain in place.

I already chided TPM for this poor reporting, here’s a piece worth reading which quite clearly lays out reality and points out by suggesting things like the Guard walk out is giving Trumpsters reason to further attack anyone who does not support Trump - for all the wrong reasons. Save the Trump attacks for real issues, of which there will be many. Don’t give Trumpsters any reason to attack when they will need excuses to justify the chaos and destruction around the coming administration. They will be grasping for anything they can find, we can’t give them anything, especially something which is based on false conclusions like Trump fired anyone,. He didn’t.

Trump DID NOT fire this guy, this article is wrong and, geez, the Trumpsters are sure happy they found a way to call the reporting in too many places “fake news.” Read this, which includes the actual act which puts the DC Guard under the command of the President, and makes the commander a presidential appointee whose appointment, like all appointees, ends when the president’s term ends. And the commander resigned because his was a presidential appointment - he was NOT fired by Trump:

He is a political appointee, and he resigned effective the end of his appointment, which is protocol, and Trump is under no obligation to reappoint. Considering it’s Trump, who, according to reports after the first meeting he had with the president, was surprised that thousands of appointees were gone when the administration ended, and still hasn’t nominated a Secretary of the Agriculture Department, the incoming clown car probably had no idea they need to fill this position. Wonder how many thousands of positions are left unfilled, though with Ringling announcing they are shutting down there will be a number of clowns on the unemployment line who could be recruited. Here’s a good article explaining the situation, and how this Guard falls under the President (which had to be specifically addressed since DC is not a state and did not exist when the constitution was written): https://www.facebook.com/Stonekettle/posts/1216690101699724

He already insulted the Army when he famously stated that he knew more than the Generals did.

The military voted for him anyway, for the most part.

Reminds me of an earlier presidential request:

"Dear General Eisenhower,

Please submit your resignation at 12:01 PM GMT, June 6, 1944.

Warm Regards,

FDR"

Bizzare is a judgement, an opinion, it is subjective, not objective.

It could have been described as unusual, and that would be a fact, if it was in fact, unusual. But describing it as bizzare is not a fact, it is an opinion. And these kinds of opinions published in papers or the internet are meant to influence, not inform.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available