Discussion: Trump’s Afghan Strategy: ‘Killing Terrorists,' Not Nation-Building

2 Likes

How can a man without a pillar establish pillars? If he’s going after terrorists, that means the alt- right, too?

12 Likes

So are we cutting ties with Pakistan or sending troops into Pakistan?

6 Likes

100 likes!

1 Like

A little vague on what “victory” looks like in Afghanistan but overall I think it is a reasonable strategy. We’re not going to change Afghanistan into a Jeffersonian democracy so we take out as many bad guys as we can and hope that a political settlement can be reached down the road.

1 Like

I just saw a clip with the hands moving all over the place, fingers in the A-okay gesture he loves so much. SNL should do something with the incessantly waving hands. They look disconnected from him……like they are operated from underneath the podium by a hidden puppeteer.

12 Likes

“Another strategy, according to Trump, would be “the integration of all
instruments of American power, diplomatic, economic and military, toward
a successful outcome.” He did not clarify how that would work.”

About filling some of those open positions.

6 Likes

Fuck you Donnie.

8 Likes

At one point, it really sounded like he was about to say “peace with honor,” but evidently someone had a memory of Viet Nam.
On the other hand, did it seem to anyone else that he was pausing on what he assumed would be applause lines? It seemed to me that he was thinking “pause here…they’re going to cheer this part.”

9 Likes

Bad guys are a renewable resource, and “presence of infidel foreign troops killing our brothers” is a powerful growth stimulant.

16 Likes

His strategy is just strategic lying about the situation. Killing terrorists? Duh! Like that wasn’t the strategy before? I guess we needed this Grand Poobah Trump to stop the indescriminate killing, the flagrant genocide that Bush and Obama perpetrated?

Fucking horseshit. And worst of all, the fucking horseshit people that support him.

This Country has crossed a rubicon with this guy. The only saving grace is he is ineffective and his lackeys are so unimpressive the system has held for awhile.

9 Likes

I see this as another Trump See-Squirrel speech. There is nothing going on in Afghanistan that was not going on before or elsewhere. If he wants to go to war to stop terrorism in Afghanistan, he should launch special operations in Pakistan.

6 Likes

That isn’t a plan. That is just a way to get good Americans killed and to degrade our general readiness as the troops wear out. Empires from the Romans, through the British and the Russians ended themselves fighting in Afghanistan.

16 Likes

“Another strategy, according to Trump, would be “the integration of all instruments of American power, diplomatic, economic and military, toward a successful outcome.” He did not clarify how that would work.”

Calling Erik Prince. I smell kickbacks.

11 Likes

No nation to build (country/state does not equal nation). There’s really nothing else to do but chase “terrorists,” at least officially. Have to wonder, though, if there are natural resources objectives and supply lines vs. Russia behind this move.

4 Likes

So is donald sending his kids too? i doubt it. How in the world is a man so damned ignorant who can’t even keep a cabinet oin place have the power to send our kids in harms way. why doesn’t he get his kkk friends to fight ISSIS?

5 Likes

Sounds like a 2 year old’s strategy.

I’m gonna be a good guy who will take out all the bad guys.

12 Likes

Yeah, diplomacy is gonna do great after he has dismantled the state department.

7 Likes

Ah, I picked up on that too. He seemed perplexed when thunderous ovations did not follow his words.

5 Likes

Any word from Trump about those reportedly arming the Taliban lately, that is, his friends, the Russians? It would be foolish should Mr Putin’s weapons lead to American fatalities during this ill-conceived surge.

6 Likes