Discussion: Trump Rejects Criticism He Waited Too Long To Condemn White Supremacists

And just to make sure we understand there is a prominent counter-narrative at work outside our own bubble:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/08/15/trump-decries-alt-left-in-charlottesville-do-have-any-semblance-guilt.html

Yes, that’s the top Faux News story and yes, you’re reading it correctly as full-throated propagandist defense that even I, who frequents that website to understand them, thought was somewhat beyond what could be expected. They, including Trump and his administration, are using this as a means of NORMALIZING the narrative that the “alt-left” (which doesn’t really exist) needs to be reined in as well. When given the opportunity to run with that narrative without the white nationalist/supremacist movement there as a counterbalance…something that turns the narrative into “moral relativity”…you can bet your left nipples that they will run with it. “Look at them, here they are in all their hypocritical glory” will the the clarion call. It will be heard. It will be repeated. It will be internalized. The damage is already done and Trump’s 3 main responses to this atrocity have opened that door for them all…the MSM, the alt-right propaganda machine, the white nationalist movement, etc. Prepare yourselves for watching the counter-narrative become normalized and the question of “whether the left also has a problem with violence and fascist tendencies” become something they treat as a legitimate question.

6 Likes

That’s the thing, you double down on a good hand.

This is chasing the lose in gambling terms.

9 Likes

I’d expect nothing less from FNC. I actually expect less than that, if possible.

5 Likes

They have to back away from this and like right now.

Otherwise, they agree with Trump’s views.

Probably doesn’t matter in the some parts of the South and other areas of the country, but it sure as heck will in others.

6 Likes

(At least since Reagan, I’d say.)

2 Likes

And to underscore the point, the former marched the Army to put down a rebellion that was brewing.

5 Likes

Not weaselly at all. People do bend the universe towards justice and it will happen.

6 Likes

Seriously.

But the reality is I think there are quite a few who are genuinely surprised because “it’s just his campaign talk.”

12 Likes

Buuuuuuurrrn.

I meant epic burn!

6 Likes

That is the diametric opposite of what I’m seeing in the media. I’m not talking about Fox, I only expect this kind of shit from them.

But you aren’t being fair to CNN, the NYT or the WaPo - without them we wouldn’t be knee deep in Russian interference among other things.

This isn’t going to get normalized because I can’t see that any of this presidency has been normalized in the mainstream media or culture.

I’m not trying to start a fight but the press has not been normalizing neoNazis - and Fox doesn’t count.

13 Likes

12 Likes

Another:

The president of the Alliance for American Manufacturing has resigned from President Trump’s American Manufacturing Council, making him the fifth business leader to do so.

11 Likes

CBS, ABC and NBC can be added to that list. Trump was called a liar during fact-checks on all 3 evening newscasts.

13 Likes

“Grandstander!” “JOBS”

2 Likes

Dent Tuesday Group is from a swing district here in PA, so it matters like hell to him. It also matters to those eyeing for 2020 too.

Then there’s someone still tip-toeing. Look how this coward is carefully avoiding naming the name.

13 Likes

Apparently “no moral ambiguity” can be paired with “no personal accountability”. Who knew?

8 Likes

When that wimp starts impeachment proceedings, I will pay attention to what he says.

Otherwise?

You bore me, Paulie.

9 Likes

Guess the Bund is still powerful in Wisconsin

3 Likes

13 Likes

Had to hear it a couple times but trump when he said “Will they take down statues of Washington next?” is equating the Founders of our country with rebels who wanted to divide the country into a free and slave owning parts. And he doesn’t even realize the import of what he said.

11 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available