Discussion: Trump Loss In Financial Records Battle Sets Stage For Future Fights With Congress

The tweet is from 2017.

3 Likes

And let’s not forget the Supreme Court adjourns at the end of June. THAT’s what they’re really counting on.

12 Likes

I think it’s important for people to understand that Trump’s game here might not be to run out the clock. That’s what everyone says his game is, but I kind of doubt that’s what it really is. Think about it: for him to truly “run out the clock” he’ll need to stall the investigation for more than a year. How likely is that?

We’re not at the two minute warning here folks. We’re at the start of the fourth quarter, the Dems have the ball and I don’t even think team Trump is ahead in the score.

If that’s true, then running out the clock wouldn’t be a good strategy at all. What would be a good strategy? Get the other team so angry and worked up that they start making mistakes. Get them to hurry when time is really on their side. Call them all cowards for not acting more quickly than they really need to.

That would be my strategy if I were them. From much of the comments I see, it appears to be working too. And maybe that’s what Nancy Pelosi is trying to prevent from happening.

37 Likes

Yeah. I stated in another thread that I think if they can stave off even the beginning of ‘official’ impeachment hearings until this fall - they’ll pull out the “You can’t do __________ in an election year,” excuse. Fill in the blank. Nominate a Supreme court justice - hold impeachment hearings - whatever. It will all be ‘too political’.

6 Likes

However,

16 Likes

Absolutely agree, which is why we need some leaking. Although I’m not sure that Deutsch Bank executives want to flirt with the law at the point …

4 Likes

I’d like to spot this guy lunch.

7 Likes

I suppose it depends on what ‘running out the clock’ looks like. It’s obviously different for Dems and Rs. I mean - they ‘ran out the clock’ on a Supreme Court nomination. Stalled it for an entire year. So - I believe, honestly - that if actual impeachment proceedings haven’t begun before ‘The Election Year’ begins - call that this November 5… Then by golly, the R’s will use their “You can’t do that in an election year…” ploy. And stall any further movements - through the courts or the Senate for an entire year. I’m thinking even IF they move on impeachment quickly - then the Senate will use that excuse. “Well, you know - we’d LIKE to address this - but it’s an election year - so best wait till after the people have spoken…”

Insane? Sure. But look at the Garland nomination.

These folks move fast, break things and create their own realities. Which we are left to study, judiciously, while they move on and create another new reality.

9 Likes

SCOTUS could refuse to hear the case but that may be a stretch, the majority are beholden to the Furor. If they do it’s probably in the bag for Bloatard and time to blow taps for American democracy. Putin for the win.

1 Like

160 years later and that man is still an embarrassment to the Commonwealth. sigh

2 Likes

You won the Interwebs today. :smile:

7 Likes

Well that makes sense. It was the last Congress, which was truly indifferent.

6 Likes

Or if he liked dogs.

6 Likes

This isn’t a Supreme Court nomination, this is a show. The worse the Republicans look in this show, the more they stand to lose next year.

13 Likes

You make a good point. Team traitor_tRump is acting out of desperation and the relevant House committees are doing their job. However, I don’t get how this precludes impeachment investigations and hearings. These can simply be based on what’s out there publicly regarding the administration’s actions.

2 Likes

In this case, since Trump is only a third party here, I don’t think that will be an issue. I doubt that Mazars will defy the subpoena once the courts say they should comply. I could see him defying the courts (at all levels) if it’s his personal documents (or internal to the WH).

12 Likes

I believe you’re right. For people paying less attention than we here are they see the Congress of the US being batted away like a pesky insect by a president who they know lost the popular vote, hasn’t done anything much in office other than play golf and who they also suspect of being involved in shady doings. They may not be able to elaborate much more than that, but a mud fight is a mud fight.

11 Likes

Dead?

9 Likes

That assumes defiance in the face of investigations looks ‘bad’. Some would argue it makes the Dem’s look weak and the Don look strong.

If the FoxBots stay strong and support Don’s ‘owning the libs’ - by flipping them off and ignoring them for a year - all while selling ‘we have to stop this palace coup’ - via their state sponsored propaganda station - they’ll get their numbers out to the polls.

If Dems keep swinging ineffectively - they’ll rack up a form of political impotence - which is fairly disheartening to the ‘mushy middle’. Or the mythological independent Unicorns.

And all of that - while voter suppression tactics are cranked up - and cyber security is ignored.

I think we need to rack up some points BEFORE the election year begins. Simply holding non-stop hearings with no effective action, isn’t going to play as well as some think.

(Keep in mind, Obama was bulldozed by McConnell into remaining silent regarding the Russian interference. The fear of appearing too ‘partisan’ - was enough to stop him.)

6 Likes

but why do we need to wait another month? whats wrong with bringing them in tomorrow?

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available