Discussion: Trump Defends Flynn Hiring, Hits Sally Yates In Morning Tweets

We may see it as normalized

Yes because people are not good at holding on to outrage. One may occasionally – during a smoke break or at other odd times – be struck by how far we’ve fallen, but then the demands of the day reassert themselves. Life goes on. There are things to do and people to see. We sigh. Things will work out in the end, we tell ourselves. And the moment passes.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, the smoke breaks are where I end up staring at a wall and doing my best navel gazing. The shower too. The wife nags me about my smoking and water usage.

I understand that. Really I do, it is a life of continuing failed expectations at times. In this situation, I recognize we sit in the doldrums for a bit, but slow as it is, the accumulation just bears down harder on him. We just want it over, but we have to be patient.

I was not overly taken with the Yates issue at first. But the ongoing reaction to her seems to point to something more substantive. That is what really perks up my ears. So I will give in and believe for a moment that something is up.

1 Like

The yummy part of the NYS investigations is that anyone convicted on those charges can’t be pardoned by whomever is at the wheel at that moment. Feds can only pardon federal charges.

3 Likes

We will probably not hear much more. The Obama angle is just a way for them to pass the buck on their own failures. Obama axed the guy. That part is left out. Trump should have known about that and why. But campaigned with him and put him in a top level post.

1 Like

We always hear that one pol or another is playing to his or her base, but the fake news is so clearly aimed at the ignorants who voted for him and his plans to build a wall.

1 Like

Yep…did you see the new ad buy from Ryan’s group touting the passage of the POS ACHA?

I have often stated my Rules. They are a simple guide to creative work, based on sociological studies of the nature of revolutionary change.

My Rules

1. Know the Rules.
  2. Fuck the Rules.

I’ll only say that if you try to fuck the Rules before knowing the Rules, it will end in disaster if not jail.

2 Likes

As both Putin and Trump devoutly hope.

My Rules of the Road:

1. Be kind.

2. Eat good food.

3. Tell the truth.

4 Likes

Has anyone else thought that the leaks about Flynn’s conversation with the Russian ambassador might not have come from an American source? Britain and other European nations also monitor what the Russians are up to, and their intelligence services might have picked up Flynn’s discussion of sanctions removal with the Russian ambassador and informed the press.

The rules governing restrictions on what information US intelligence services disseminate don’t apply to their foreign counterparts, and our European allies may have been alarmed enough about Flynn that they wanted to help get rid of him by blowing the lid off Trump’s coverup, which lasted two weeks after he knew about Flynn’s lies and was forced to fire him because of the information leaked to the media.

1 Like

Putin is probably well content with dem’s confidence that “the jig is up” for Trump and company…or will be…someday. Sitting back on our hands because we’re confident the FBI is going to take care of this for us probably also suits Trump fairly well,

Impeachment is a political process, and it becomes much more likely when Trump is extremely unpopular . Obviously a significant criminal investigation(s) could affect his popularity, but we haven’t seen hard evidence for collusion (and presumably his voting base will be looking for a higher standard of evidence than your average liberal voter – or maybe they won’t care either way). The state of the economy may play an even bigger role in his popularity, but I doubt big macroeconomic effects from crappy Republican policies will hit us in the two year timeframe, but maybe in four years?

Presuming Trump’s popularity plummets and he is shunned by some in his own party, impeachment is possible with a Republican House (simple majority vote) but I doubt he would be removed from office in the Senate (2/3 majority). I don’t believe many Republican legislators have principles but they do seem to look out for their own ilk. Obviously the likelihood of impeachment could increase in 2018 if the balance of power shifts to Democratic control. And what does the balance of power look like after 2020 if Trump is elected again? Will impeachment be something that Trump is worried about under those Congresses? Is he smart enough to care?

If real impeachment talks happen now or then, there would be an enormous media blitz against impeachment by conservative groups I believe. I think the Democratic party should anticipate this, if they truly want to pursue it. If a Democratic candidate were to not explicitly run on impeaching Trump, and then champions the cause after being elected could risk alienating moderate conversations / independents that elected them. The messaging will have to be simple, apolitical, resonate with voters, and consistent (something like, “preserving the integrity of the greatest democracy in the world”) in order overcome the optics of a vicious media campaign. The Democratic party will have to ask the question of whether that is good politics to explicitly run on impeaching Trump or if they should stick to campaigning on a check on his power. But to change their position on impeachment after being elected could hurt long term gains for the party.

If there is proof of treason/collusion with Russia (as opposed to preponderance), and it is perceived this way in the minds of the average voter, then impeachment is likely. But if it isn’t there broadly, I doubt impeachment is on the table. We’re only 100++ days in though. 1300 days to go!

Nah. Look at how the outrage has already subsided so completely. FBI will never publicly disclose anything they’ve found and media dribbles it out so slowly that the public simply adapts to it. It’s already the new normal. Which is why this will never happen:

“If there is proof of treason/collusion with Russia (as opposed to preponderance), and it is perceived this way in the minds of the average voter, then impeachment is likely”

Not.

It’s time to stop hoping for this and to move aggressively on the things we can and do control. Focus on the bribery that U.S. taxpayers are paying for. Focus on the AHCA, or the selling off of public lands, or any of the numerous other direct assaults on U.S. citizens. We’re just fooling ourselves by thinking there’s some drip drip drip thing going on with the Russian connection that will eventually…someday…somehow…matter.

It would be nice if he could at least spell at a 7th grade level. I’ve never had high hopes - or any positive hopes - for this administration, but that minimal ability should be possible. … Guess not.

This may have already been mentioned, but Flynn was active duty under Obama. His clearance was part of his job, and his clearance began under the Reagan Administration all the way up to Obama’s.

The granting of clearance while on active duty is adjudicated under the investigative arm of that particular branch of service, not by any presidential Administration.

Flynn was no longer in active duty when Trump hired him. His clearance had already been suspended. When Trump wanted him on his team, the responsibility of vetting, investigating his back ground, Security review, etc. was Trump’s job.

In other words, Flynn being granted security access was solely the responsibility of Trump’s Administration.

1 Like

Whistleblowing is worse than treason?

who knew…

1 Like

and obey the law of the pack…

American Health. . . as opposed to Affordable. Very significant change in what they’re trying to sell.

2 Likes

Not normal behavior for a president of the United States.

The first Dem commercial for impeachment should start with - you wanted Clinton impeached for lying. How is lying about collusion with a foreign government less significant?

@jep07

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available