Discussion: Trump Appeals First Loss In Congressional Oversight Case

Once again, the GOP proves it’s the “Lawless and Disorder” party.

7 Likes

Bets on how long before Trump publishes Judge’s address and phone on twitter?

7 Likes

I don’t know why he wouldn’t appeal. His strategy is clearly to stall and delay. His legal arguments are very thin. Historically courts have been very wary of getting in between the executive and legislative branches. Until this gets to the Supreme Court I don’t see anything but a string of losses for the President if and until he gets there.

10 Likes

We’re so beyond the criminality of Richard Nixon you can’t even see it from here.

14 Likes

This is the rawest of power moves this country has ever seen

I sometimes think the casualness with which we write about it here is to disguise our own horror. My Dad was a D-Day survivor…a Korea survivor…a Jim Crow survivor.

And yet he never faced from his own government the menace Trump now projects and promises to unsuspecting Millennials who are not yet aware of anything we have been writing about all morning.

17 Likes

…I bet the Mazar company responds to the subpoena forthwith…if they refuse their action will call into querstion Mazar’s relationship with other despots on our world. Wasn’t there something about that in the “panama Papers?”

6 Likes

Senate Rule VII: the Presiding Officer on the trial may rule on all questions of evidence including, but not limited to, questions of relevancy, materiality, and redundancy of evidence and incidental questions, which ruling shall stand as the judgment of the Senate, unless some Member of the Senate shall ask that a formal vote be taken thereon, in which case it shall be submitted to the Senate for decision without debate; or he may at his option, in the first instance, submit any such question to a vote of the Members of the Senate. Upon all such questions the vote shall be taken in accordance with the Standing Rules of the Senate.

4 Likes

Good bet that the fees are paid out of his campaign funds.

There’s an additional cost being paid by anyone who cares about integrity and impartiality in the courts - Trump’s attorneys in this case (and probably many others) are at Consovoy McCarthy, formerly Consovoy McCarthy Park. Trump appointed founding partner Michael Park to a seat on the US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, and Park was just sworn in. Park is a former Alito clerk and Federalist society member who represented the state of Kansas opposing Medicaid funding for Planned Parenthood. Not your typical Second Circuit judge. Park won’t be hearing the appeal from this case in the Second Circuit but he will have a chance to rule on appeals from all the SDNY and EDNY cases involving Trump & Co.

13 Likes

OK, think I might have to ditch this dance for awhile. I’m getting enraged with the one step forward, two steps back. Seemingly negative progress.

Cheeto Mussolini is soiling his pants in public because he is so terrified of this information getting out. That is the biggest tell that this information is devastating to him and his family. He broadcasts his obvious guilt every single day. Wake up America and lance this boil on the butt of humanity before it festers.

3 Likes

But who would come after him? The DOJ?

Conceivably–indeed, likely, I hope–the Court of Appeals upholds the District Court. Then the Supremes could deny review, although it only takes four to grant cert., so the others on review could vote to hear the case even if Roberts doesn’t want to–and if he’s got any brains he doesn’t want to.

But a stay is very different. Denying a stay is letting the horse out of the barn. Than’s every unlikely, because judges don’t like to have their rulings foreclosed by events that they could control, which is what having the documents turned over before the appeal(s) would mean.

6 Likes

The Mazar company should know that their concern here is beyond just an isolated, local United States political controversy. They will not mistake their own peril by refusing the subpoena. For all political parties in all countries respectively have their political party opponents within their borders. Refusing the US House subpoena would be a disaster for the Mazar company from an international perspective. Their widespread (international client base) includes plenty party members, despots and criminals alike who have opponents. Spiraling out of control and their refusal to respond to the House would lead to worldwide political chaos. All nations…

8 Likes

Deschutes, OR

1 Like

Fair point.

I have a question for the lawyers out there…

The heading of this document says:

IN THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA

Yet the appeal is to the DC Circuit court of appeals

hereby appeal to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit

Is that how you tell an appeals court that you want to appeal a decision? By notifying the District court?

@paulw Thanks. That makes sense. Really odd that the campaign finance laws allow campaign monies to be spent on personal lawsuits that have little or nothing to do with running for political office.

6 Likes

I will tell you this, that if it does reach the SC and they side with Donnie, you can kiss everything goodbye. You might as well pack up and move to Canada, or Australia, or any place other than here.

5 Likes

Behind the scenes, Trump is threatening Mazars and Jones Day that they will never have another Republican client is they respond to the subpoenas.

One of us needs to start an online petition that we will boycott these firms and any of their clients if they do not comply.

*(freakish amount of work til the end of June or I would!)

2 Likes

“Please Sir… May we have some more?”

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available