Discussion: Trump AG Pick Will Tell Senators 'It Is Vitally Important' Mueller Finish Probe

1 Like

Sadly, they have all learned the trick of saying the right thing in hearings and doing as they please once they have the position. (It doesn’t mean anything unless there is some way to hold them accountable for lying.)

19 Likes

I, for one, absolutely believe his sincerity. Absolutely. :smirk:

There is nobody in Trumpworld who will not say whatever it takes to get where they want to go.

Karma will get this guy too. ETTD.

18 Likes

and then when Mueller is done he will work his hardest to bury it.

12 Likes

“For that reason, my goal will be to provide as much transparency as I can consistent with the law,” Barr said. “I can assure you that, where judgments are to be made by me, I will make those judgments based solely on the law and will let no personal, political, or other improper interests influence my decisions.”

Somehow, his interpretation of the law does not instill much confidence that he will do the right thing.

15 Likes

“It Is Vitally Important’ Mueller Finish Probe”, in order to know, and take possession of, all of the facts to hide from the public.

4 Likes

Let’s see what he says during his confirmation hearing. Al Franken should submit some questions.

5 Likes

I have very little faith in Barr right now, but if you’re going to ask the question, don’t just do it for grandstanding. You ought to listen to the answer. The answer he gave is about the best answer he can give.

Is he telling the truth? That’s a different question.

9 Likes

It’s an example of his vaunted old-school integrity that he remembers how to pay lip service to judiciary independence, the rule of law, all of that fuddy-duddy Boy Scout stuff. How else are you going to save the country with nakedly partisan decisions if you don’t get in there first by telling the marks what they want to hear?

Meantime, wassup with not meeting Democratic members of the committee, slick? Had to pick up laundry that day, what?

24 Likes

Vitally Important, so Ghoulie can make the necessary deflections / deletions / corrections.

4 Likes

Absolutely it’s important!

Get 'er done before his room at Leavenworth has to be surrendered to another inmate. Space there is precious!

2 Likes

Sounds like all the unsolicited writings and memos got him the consideration and now he’s wailing away on words to melt the hearts and minds of the senators and the press. If approved we’ll know which way the wind blows when Trump starts leaning on him and if castigating him by the Twit’s twitter.

3 Likes

TPM keeps putting up a picture of the younger Barr. Not sure why. Why is it so hard to represent him as he is today? Do aging men get a pass?

Also, he may say he wants Mueller to finish and is committed to the law (as he sees it). Doesn’t say what he’ll do with the finished report when its done. That’s equally important going forward.

Did I miss the part in the AP article where he refuses to meet with Democratic Senators? Pretty sure his refusal shows instant bias and ill-will on his part already. Face it, the guy is just another hack that wouldn’t have been chosen if there wasn’t an ulterior motive by tRump with Barr in mind as his appointee. Name me one confirmed person appointed by tRump thus far that hasn’t fit that mold. One. Or at least one that survived more than a year besides possibly Mattis.

8 Likes
  'It Is Vitally Important' Mueller Finish Probe 

" so we know exactly who we need to cover
with our blanket " —

3 Likes

Or perhaps, Kamela?

4 Likes

Actually, many aging men have a great deal of trouble passing.

3 Likes

I’m good with that. :smile:

1 Like

Flomax, next to his dog, is an aging man’s best friend.

That phrase “about the best answer he can give” begs the question. Is it the best answer ANYONE can give. I’d say, No, it’s not, because what he’s saying is open to interpretation as amounting to wanting to ensure the OSC restricts its work to Russian interference in the election process WHILE excluding pursuit of Trump. Many of us believe that based on all that’s been made public to date, those two goals head towards the same end and that proposing to bring closure to either means pursuing closure to both.

One reason we have for taking this more cynical view of what’s being put out to the public in advance of Barr’s appearance before the SJC is that memo he sent to the White House and DAG Rosenstein’s office. The contents of the memo are contentious, though not in ways that many suppose, because following it closely would actually allow for indicting a sitting president, at least in relation to several categories of obstruction. Still, in addition to there being some parts to it that are open to being criticized as actual mis-characterization of the state of the law, the fact remains that it’s tone, it’s emphasis, it’s comment about “balance” and indeed the very fact of it being sent must give rise to serious concerns.

3 Likes

Don’t know if this is the answer, but when I was a journalist, I sometimes ran into the problem that the only photos available from the paid services we used weren’t ideal. Could be this is the only one TPM found and could secure rights to.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available