Discussion: Top US Diplomat For Europe Resigns After 14 Months On The Job

It kills me that Trump will probably be remembered as the most effective spy in history.

Never mind that everyone knows he is a traitor, that he embodies every vice for which we have a name, that he is disgustingly repulsive, and that he is always the dumbest guy in the room.

He could destroy the global alliance that generations of statesmen (and women) labored to create as a bulwark against another world war.

10 Likes

The Toadglans disadministration is focused on far more important trade issues, to wit: Will Ivankatoinette’s new Chinese trademarks be adequately protected?

2 Likes

He was elected, not imposed. We collectively asked for this. He displayed dozens of reprehensible beliefs, said thousands of deplorable things, mocked and vilified dozens of respected, prominent Americans. And we ignored it all and elected him. Worse, we seemingly did it not in spite of all his repulsiveness, but because of it. He is lionized and admired for all his vileness.

You reap what you sow.

“Toute nation a le gouvernement qu’elle mérite.”

4 Likes

Butter emails!?!?

1 Like

Mitchell told The Washington Post, which first reported his departure, that he was leaving for family reasons — mainly to spend more time with his two young children — and not over disagreements with administration policies.

So when he took the job was he unaware that he had children?

6 Likes

By the time people in official Washington get their shit together, it’ll be too late. Trump doesn’t give a damn about the Constitution, laws, tradition, or anything else, while the people charged with protecting us are hidebound with regulations and obligations that Trump demands they live up to. I get that they need to follow rules, but he’s well on his way to destroying and destabilizing our Institutions, our national security, and the country. It’s getting late in the day…and we really can’t wait for the next election. He needs to be impeached and humiliated at the very least, though hopefully convicted.

2 Likes

“Smoldering Ruins” would make a great band name.

2 Likes

Well, it is an AP story, after all. Conventional wisdom and all that.

2 Likes

I hear Steve Bannon is active in the region…

1 Like

There, there were a few articles a few weeks ago. I posted some links. Some of the TPP terms went into effect Dec. 30.

In that same vein, there was another recent article about another agreement that Trump withdrew from, with similarly potentially dire consequences: the Iran nuclear deal.

It seems that in an attempt to avoid US-imposed penalties on nations who still desire to trade with Iran, the EU is working on a workaround that would avoid involving US-based banks.

It could serve as the basis for decoupling the US dollar – the world’s reserve currency – from international trade.

So much winning.

6 Likes

How sad to get your dream job only to discover that it consists of carrying an endless amount of shit back up to the top of a never-ending shit volcano.

Wanting to spend more time with one’s family is the business/government version of “I need some more time to work on my own issues; it has nothing to do with you” when said to your now exboyfriend. Beneath it is the real explanation, “I’ve had enough of you.”

1 Like

So I guess Donnie should change his rhetoric to ‘Only the best people…leave’…

1 Like

It’s depressingly amazing how quickly one person can destroy a country.

“I want to spend more time with my family.”
Yeah, that sounds plausible. It’s been the reason for moving on given by dozens of Fired Trumpists, and it’s only the start of year three.

1 Like

Sort of like taking a hammer to a Danbury Mint Memorial Elvis Presley Plate, but not nearly as satisfying.

hannity does not do unity. next question.

One person? Oh no. He’s had a Hell of a lot of help.

Looking at you, Mitch.

And Lindsey. And Devin. And your whole goddamn party of enablers and Mitläufer, too.

3 Likes

Not really.

But I still take your larger point.

Democracy is a device that insures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.
– Melania Trump

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available