Discussion: Today Show Surprised Asking Female CEOs About Being Moms Is 'Taboo' (VIDEO)

Discussion for article #224647

How would asking wealthy working moms what they think be a good way to answer this question. They can afford child support and domestic services.
How are the middle-class professionals making out? Or is that not “having it all”?

1 Like

Matt, have you ever asked a dad how he balances working and taking care of the kids?

12 Likes

Bullshit. These shows have been in the business pumping out institutional sexism for as long as they’ve been on the air. They’ve always had their appeal primarily in stay-at-home women or working moms that are in a hurry to get out the door and have the TV on in the background for light-fare tripe as they get ready to rush out. Besides, he doesn’t ask male CEOs or rich guys the same question, EVER. And Giffords is the idiot you ask for confirmation of your asshattery? She’s a rightwing drunken nutjob from all I can tell.

Nice try, but total FAIL.

6 Likes

Clueless shits.

2 Likes

So in other words the segment was a huge circle jerk.

5 Likes

People at Good Morning America are better at asking questions. That’s why I watch that show. Big fail, Matt. Big fail.

1 Like

Funny, the majority of these overpaid yahoos do interviews and have the ability to control what questions are asked of their targets, and yet none of them have seen fit to ask the Male CEOs about their being able to be good fathers and Sociopaths…I mean CEOs as the same time. In fact Mr. Lauer has interviewed other Auto Industry CEOs and never asked the question. Also too, the Man Called Mitt was interviewed many many times in the last election and I don’t think anyone ever asked Mr. CEO about his fatherly skills.

3 Likes

Totally right on.

If a male CEO were to come out and say, ‘I am very upset I missed my
son’s prom, and I think my kids will hold me accountable for one job and
that is a father?’" Lauer replied. “Yes, we’d ask that question.”

Ok, Matt. Go to the tape library and SHOW ME when you interviewed Dan Akerson, Pres. of GM from 2010-14 (or Alan Mulally head of Ford Motor Co.) whether or not HE could do HIS job well and still be a good father.

No Matt - I don’t want to wait to see if he volunteers the info - I want to hear you ask it of him.

6 Likes

Oh, and to be fair, I said this before, what would the Sociopath CEO say: Hell no, I am a horrible father, I’m never home, the wife is looking elsewhere for intimate human contact, the kids hate me because I treat them like I treat my subordinates. ANd let’s be honest, the kids are a bunch of mal-adjusted freaks. I’ll be happy if they don’t become serial killers.

Exactly what I was thinking. Cue the video of Lauer asking these questions of male CEOs (crickets).

3 Likes

So I take it they’re going to scrap the interview where he asks the african american CEO if he really likes watermelon?

How are we still so f’ing clueless on equality? And why is the media always the last to figure it out?

Yep. And we would die of old age before waiting for that to happen. Because Lauer and many like him in the media, go into the interview with the assumption that women are having issues balancing both roles.

With men, there’s no inherent assumption. Unless a male CEO brings it up, the question doesn’t get asked.

Oh OK, Martha Steward and Gifford think it’s all good. Phew. I thought Lauer was being sexist since men aren’t asked similar questions, but I guess these millionaire “working” moms are cool with it, so that’s that.

The entire Today Show gave themselves all a handjob and now they’re pleased as punch.

1 Like

Bullshit.

Unless you ask MALe CEOs precisely the same question regarding their children, you are a jerk.

1 Like

These people live in a bubble. They don’t get what it’s like to live a regular normal life that doesn’t involve nannies for your kids, a housecleaner and a personal assistant to handle all of the other mundane stuff.

They don’t realize that we’re doing all of that while our income disappears a bit more every year.

1 Like

Dear Today Show:
Nice stealing of Fox channel tactics. Double-down instead of admitting ANY wrong doing. So… try this (I’ll use small words) to see if Matt Lauer’s question about being a mom and a good CEO triggers the bullsh^t meter…

How often have you heard someone ask a male CEO whether he can be a good dad and be a CEO?

If you can’t trot out examples and the answer is zero or next to zero… then perhaps Matt Lauer’s comment was asinine and h e should own up to that.

Here’s the problem. Everyone on that set is a Boomer, and in the Boomer mindset, it’s a kind of adventure when a woman takes a powerful job at a corporation, or even decides to work as a mom. But that’s really 1970s and 80s thinking. I’m not that much younger, but the idea of women at all levels of corporate america isn’t that unusual to me, and work-life balance isn’t all that interesting. It’s something we all - men included - have to live with today.

At issue is also the truth that men never “had it all” - were in the workplace and “good hands-on parents” at the same time. One parent worked, the other didn’t. But when women entered the workforce they were expected to do BOTH, an expectation never laid on men until maybe the last decade, and then with the emerging realization that nobody gets to have it all. (Funny, when men enter the picture, a more realistic expectation is set.) But women are still asked this asinine question and still guilted when they arrange their lives exactly as men before them have, with unpaid or paid labor to take care of the home life while they work. None of these people at this table want to confront any of this history or their class privilege.

When it takes two people to cobble together a basic middle class income for a family of four, NOBODY “has it all” the way these people are thinking about it.

1 Like

If Matt makes more than $18.00m /hour it’s too much.