Discussion: The Few Clues In Hastert Indictment

Yes, but is the timing right ? I agree: When he was a political insider he would know a lot of profitable stuff, but this appears to have happende before that, when he was a snotty-nosed school kid cum wrestling coach.

I doubt it. A baby would just suggest he was an ordinary young guy making mistakes, something he could ‘manfully’ admit at this date (and be slightly proud of) . It must be worse than that.

3 Likes

I’m thinking you are on correct on the child molestation angle. This is why I think so:

Press Release: August 16, 2013

This afternoon, Governor Quinn signed a bill into law that eliminates the criminal statute of limitations for sex offenses that occurred when the victim was under 18 years old. The legislation is a significant victory for victims and survivors of child sexual abuse, many of whom take years to disclose the abuse.

If the statue of limitations never run out, that would be an incentive to pay so much. A regular affair or dalliance with someone of age is very unlikely.

Agreed. Remember that years ago he admitted to an affair, so he wouldn’t pay millions to cover up another one, even if it resulted in a baby. This has to be much more damaging to his reputation, and since corruption is par for the course in political circles, I’m going with some sort of underage relations.

3 Likes

I was responding to the question of where his money came from. Sorry, I wasn’t clear about what I was referring to. Yes, I think too that the crime has something to do with a relationship long ago during his early years of teaching.

1 Like

Note also that the indictment made a point of saying ‘accounts he controlled’. It never actually said that Hassert was paying the person with his own money. There may be some fiscal hanky panky going on here too.

2 Likes

Exactly right.
Government for hire.

Maybe the guy that has something on Hastert is mistaking him with Drew Carey, those guys look like twin brothers and you just know that Carey is a shady fellow, taking advantage or people cross dressing.

I don’t know about all of them, just a couple I dealt with who literally used the time in our class for teaching to read magazines.

You should read the comments sections on AOL, or The Washington Post! It’s all, “Obummer”, and Hillary and Benghazi, just as your e-mail jokes about! It’s unbelievable! The total inability to stay on-topic, and discuss ANY issue that doesn’t circle back to their tiny laundry list of usual bullet points and hackneyed complaints is scary.

I’m not so sure that criminal charges would be Hastert’s primary worry, but the huge damage to his reputation. And it would have to be big, I’m guessing something of the type/scale of Sandusky. He never “felt” right to me, despite his squeaky clean, warm-fuzzy image; I’m quite interested in the outcome of this.

Extortion + Indictment + teacher/politician = Live boy of set (Live boy:dead girl)

1 Like

Get a grip. Hastert was the one who was paying money.

We do not know the exact actions that Hastert was trying to cover up and speculation is running immediately to the idea of pedophilia, but perhaps that is just the prurient nature we have developed these days about GOP/Tea Party/Christian Conservative values. But, I have a different scenario that would create a great deal more havoc in Mr. Hastert’s life that he might want to have hushed up.

Consider that Mr. Hastert came to power when two other candidates for House Speaker were shown to be involved in extra-marital affairs either during their time in office or while running for office, after Newt Gingrich’s affair came to light at the time of impeachment hearings on Clinton. Hastert was chosen and touted as being squeaky clean and above reproach, i.e. not hypocritical on calling out Clinton’s affair. What if Individual A was Hastert’s mistress, and there are now grown children involved pushing this person to go public, after her own political career has ended.

Republicans are well known for not paying child support and when Hastert hit the post-Congressional gravy train, chances are paying off a mistress was not something on his agenda. Once out of Congress, he returned to Illinois, and the DC mistress and possible children were left high and dry, or without the political backing that was requested to move forward with her career.

His payments at first were $50K, then dropped to $10K about every 6 weeks after the banks got involved. This sounds more like hush money in lieu of child support, and was being paid quietly to keep someone from going public at a time when the GOP already has problems with their family values image. She gave him two choices: she writes a good tell-all (and that includes pillow talk disclosures that could be detrimental to the GOP and the Bush Administration) or start paying up on the child support. It was only when the bank got nosy that the Feds were brought in, and she is probably going the state’s witness route to protect herself and the children from extortion charges across state lines.

While I would not put it past the old cout to have other preferences or skeletons in his closet, this sounds a whole lot more like a woman scorned than an adult going after a pervert. The timing of the payments is more in line with living expense/child support than hush money for illegal dealings. Only time and trials will tell us all, but the media will always have plenty of fodder for speculation.

I’m sure it has run out but that’s still not something he wants coming out, even if he can’t be arrested for it.

My bad, but you said the same thing as I did.

I said he wasn’t gay not that he wasn’t a pedophile. Not to mention this is such a distraction. Oh, I already said that in a fit of astonishment.

Sorry, I became unhinged, but last I looked homosexuality and pedophilia are two different things.

Indeed they are not the same thing although it is probable that there are bi,straight and gay forms of pedophilia depending on the preferences of the offender.

My point was that Hastert knew he had done something wrong and presumptively he was not trying to set himself up to politically benefit the other side. So you can wonder about the timing of the indictment but not about whether a charge should have been made or not.

Sorry again, I should be more careful about my snark. On the other hand, now I know why Denny’s face was always so red.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available