Discussion: Texas Secretary Of State Resigns After Bungled Probe Into Voters' Citizenship

1 Like

Not shameless enough to be a GOPer.

12 Likes

This was not just a “bungled probe,” it was a felony criminal conspiracy to deny citizens their civil rights in violation of 18 USC 242. Whitley should be prosecuted and sent to prison.

50 Likes

Check the footnotes. Said Statute does not apply when the citizen is a Democrat.

12 Likes

Why do these guys always go for the Josef Goebbels look?

(Sorry to Godwin so early in the thread.)

9 Likes

…children often look like their parents and grandparents…

8 Likes

Another winner. What will Trump appoint him to?

12 Likes

Let it be an omen.

9 Likes

Gotta be DHS. Maybe put him in CBP and give him oversight of asylum hearings and standards.

Clearly we need to redefine “victim” and “credible fear” down to points where they are basically non-existent, so that we can still meet the letter of the law while allowing nobody through.

3 Likes

Census Commission.

5 Likes

…and yet the Republican Party of Texas was unanimous in their support…why am I not surprised?

11 Likes

Of course he had unanimous GOP support. Why would violating the rights of citizens be a problem for the GOP?

4 Likes

I know the Wizard of Oz curtain metaphor has been overused, but Mr. Trump’s election really does seem to have emboldened Republicans at all levels to cast aside the curtains and openly pursue voter suppression and intimidation.

12 Likes

Could the article explain why just the dissent of Democrats would be enough to kick him out of office? I had to click through to the original article to learn that in Texas you need 22 votes and the Republicans only had 19 despite being the majority. That should have been in the article.

9 Likes

No No No Don’t apologize. Godwin repealed his Law in 2018. (It!s not a well known fact)

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/2018/06/19/27874178/godwins-law-suspended-by-godwin

3 Likes

Also exactly how many of those 100,000 were found to be in this country illegally and who had voted since 1996. Any?

2 Likes

Aught be a catchy bumper sticker by now: GOOD OLE AMERICAN VOTER SUPPRESSION JUST AIN’T FOR BLACK FOLK ANYMORE

8 Likes

The guy looks like a Rosenstein doppleganger.

4 Likes

He looks like a cross between Rosenstein and Miller to me.

5 Likes

Yeah, there’s some sort of wingnut welfare shit out there to give him a cushion to land on and make some moola while still spreading his hateful views.

1 Like