Discussion: Supreme Court Strikes Down Minnesota Law Restricting Voters' Clothing At Polls

Time to crank out some “Fuck Trump!” T-shirts and hats for the November election.

6 Likes

Here’s a picture of one of the litigants wearing his offending clothing.

So, in other words, the court ruled IOKIYAR.

Next up: SCOTUS rules poll workers can wear MAGA hats on election day.

3 Likes

And poll watchers can open carry to keep order at polling places and prevent voter intimidation. The 2nd Amendment is the best protection for your 1st Amendment right to wear a MAGA hat.

4 Likes

So it’s upheld the anti-electioneering law, but not the anti-electioneering-clothing law. Got it.

Justices Anthony Kennedy, Clarence Thomas, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Samuel Alito, Elena Kagan and Neil Gorsuch joined Roberts in the majority.

I guess it’s time to bash RBG and Elena Kagan?

I don’t know what their reasoning was. I was just pointing out what the guy was wearing, which, to my mind, makes the decision a bit puzzling, to say the least.

Personally, I think if the guy had any style he would’ve just worn his tricorn.

I won’t damn the SCOTUS for making this decision. Plenty of Democrats wear pins and shirts and what not. Anything that allows more people to vote shouldn’t be frowned upon.

2 Likes

Because there are people whose entire wardrobe is emblazoned with political advocacy slogans? And a ban on such advocacy clothing would literally render them naked and unable to leave the house to vote?

Some people may get to the polls, be told their attire is not appropriate, and not feel like returning to the polls later after changing.

I don’t see the problem with the decision?

Hey, I’m all for decisions that both support free speech and remove barriers to voting, regardless of who were the original plaintiffs.

SCOTUS didn’t say you can’t have reasonable restrictions, but those restrictions must be well-defined and not overly broad. That approach is consistent with long-held precedent and legal analysis.

This means the Texas law is in trouble here too, which is fine with me. Here the poll workers typically just tell voters to turn their shirts inside out or remove the pins before voting, so it hasn’t been too big of an issue, but you just know there have been some poll workers who have used this as an excuse to make voting difficult for “those people.”

2 Likes

Well, gee if someone was wearing a MAGA shirt that might just influence me into voting for 45 or someone he supports. I don’t think so.

this might be the time for the TPM commentors to revive their chaps discussion…

they can, they will just be sentenced to wearing 1980’s bridesmaid’s dresses, which will be on a rack by the doors of the gymnasium