Discussion: Stark Gender Gap in Veterans' Support for Trump

Women see the BIG picture.

21 Likes

That last paragraph is astounding.
Accusations of sexual misconduct should be removed from the military and handled by local police, then the accused will really have something to bitch about. Ask Sen. Gillibrand for some statistics.

13 Likes

Women are realists.

19 Likes

He’s not especially popular with active-duty women or men. Reassuring, that is.

17 Likes

The poll showed veterans more likely than nonveterans to say Trump has the right temperament to serve as president (48 percent to 32 percent) and that he’s a strong leader (59 percent to 49 percent). They were slightly more likely to say Trump cares about “people like you” (46 percent to 40 percent).

While not a majority on temperament, this is still astounding to me. Suggests possibly you need to be a step removed to really see the big picture or that a certain temperament tends to find its way into the military?

17 Likes

I have no understanding how a Nam Vet can back Trump.
After 3 1/2 years of helping to care Nam casualties, and being told by many ,their hate was mainly the son’s of the wealthy and connected.
Trump mocks the POW and the Gold Star families and now is surrounding himself with yellow draft dodging coward. WTF?
99% of the nurses I worked for were some of the most dedicated people you will ever know and deserve to be cared for and honored.

44 Likes

45 is an Olympic-caliber, transparently phony fraud, particularly when it comes to military matters. I agree with pshah, how so many servicemen and women are taken in by him is beyond me.

22 Likes

This is exactly why we need far more women in military leadership roles…

16 Likes

It would be nice to have the trend lines. How does Trump’s support with the military compare to previous Presidents, especially other Republican Presidents.

13 Likes

I think if you’re good at spotting fakes you probably learned it at an early age, and take it for granted. But not everyone is; a lot of people will simply believe a person who claims to have various positive attributes. You’re astonished they’re so credulous, but they just lack the skill and experience of seeing through it. I’ve learned to accept this even though I’m like everyone else and literally can’t believe they don’t see this to-us incredibly obvious thing.

17 Likes

Well, let us not get too carried away with optimism. We must not forget Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachman, the late Phyllis Schlafly, Betsy DeVos, Sarah Huckabee Sanders, Kellyanne Conway, Laura Ingraham . . . need I continue?

19 Likes

Well stated. And the fact he let 3 idiots run the VA out of Mar-a-Lago is completely disrespectful and arrogant towards veterans.

21 Likes

56 percent of veterans … said they approve of the job Trump is doing as president

Define “Death cult.”

9 Likes

I was obviously making a generalization. There are always exceptions. And I don’t know for sure if they are exceptions to the general proposition.

They can be realists and still be wrong.

7 Likes

Sadly, the list of exceptions could be much, much longer. The problem as I see it is how people act after attaining power. The problem is a human one. (An only somewhat jokey response is that generalities are always wrong.)

6 Likes

I always thought that the Beatles had a realistic attitude toward the military.

24 Likes

Just for contrast / contemplation…

20 Likes

Coo coo ca choo

12 Likes

showing high support for the president’s handling of border security and his efforts to make the U.S. safer from terrorism.

So the manly men in the military highly support a useless made for television deployment to the border, the brutal treatment of children, incessant whining about Trump’s Folly Wall and blatant discrimination against the second largest religious group in the world. But then, according to Pew Research “Relatively few enlisted men and women are college graduates (4.1%) or have an advanced degree (0.5%)” and Trump said he “loves the poorly educated.”

14 Likes