Discussion: Special Election Likely Will Be Held To Fill Rep. Blake Farenthold's Seat

2 Likes

How would this work? When are the regular primaries in Texas? So many questions. The biggest being why he waited so long between announcing he would not run again, vs. resigning earlier this month. Feels like there is some angle being gamed (at state level GOP - in Texas - duh). I would be interested on Texan perspectives about what is going on and how it might play out.

Oh - and duckypjguy - we aren’t going to miss you when your gone.

11 Likes

In MinnesotaWisconsin, Walker refused to hold specials with substantially more time on the clock until he was sued and ordered to do so by a court and the attempts to change the law retroactively to invalidate that court order fell apart.

Here, they are so eager to hold a special that they want to suspend state law to do it, even though it will result in a special being held so close to the regular election as to be meaningless.

I wonder what the reason is for the different approaches.

Edited to correct East Coast Elite view of the world…(sorry, Minnesotans!)

8 Likes

“…the seat left by former Rep. Blake Farenthold…”

Is Princess Leia still chained to it?

21 Likes

fill the seat left by former Rep

How many people are being elected?

13 Likes

And that’s a really big handful.

4 Likes

The partisan advantage in a Wisconsin would be for the Democrats right now in a special election held outside the regular election cycle. But Abbot is apparently thinking that an election for Farenthold’s replacement during the regular election would give the Dems the advantage. Turnout is likely to be amazing (on both sides, I personally believe) on the usual election day, but Abbot’s thinking it’s more likely to be Republican-dominated in a special.

9 Likes

Thanks.

’…and rage in the workplace.'

Hey if I looked like the kind of guy who couldn’t get laid without paying for it, I’d be enraged too.

Please (!) don’t associate Walker with Minnesota. We have an a governor that I’m proud of- Mark Dayton.

12 Likes

The pretext for this special election waiver is due to Hurricane Harvey… With the run-off for both GOP & Democratic parties on May 22, this is going to strain local resources.

This is a safe (for now) Republican district that is under Supreme Court scrutiny in today’s racial gerrymandering case.

I’m really scratching my head as to what Abbott’s end game is here since the Supreme’s have already stayed creating new maps for the 2018 mid-terms.

14 Likes

I’m going to miss Farenthold…

8 Likes

You cannot replace a man like Blake Farenthold - you have to build one from the bottom down.

8 Likes

Those will be some mighty big duck pajamas to fill…

6 Likes

That’s got to be the most retarded district in the country to have elected him in the first place.

1 Like

The only reason Republicans ever consider ANYTHING an emergency is when their hold on power is threatened.
They could easily put this election off to November, but there’s a danger the district may have to be un-gerrymandered by then because of a case currently in the Supreme Court.

6 Likes

Who will be the candidate from the Pajama Party?

6 Likes

Maybe they see being an incumbent as an advantage. Running two campaigns in a few months is a lot easier for whoever wins the first one.

Meanwhile, Conyers’ former seat sits empty…

3 Likes

Or it is simply a testament to how badly Democrats have destroyed their own brand, to the point where a moron in duck pajamas can win as long as he doesn’t have a D next to his name on the ballot…

Primaries were in March (1st in Nation! :-)).

EV for Runoffs started today through this week. Runoff is May 24.

2 Likes