Discussion: Social Security Advocates Sound The Alarm About The Latest Trump Tax Plan

Younger workers understand they pay plenty of taxes and Trump, Romney and the filthy rich like the Koch Brothers don’t pay any. Keep that in mind. It’s not a hard concept. All age workers know that tax credits, subsidies and rebates never pay off for the average worker. They are just salves to help ease the pain that the rich never feel.

2 Likes

There is no other reason to invest in it. The guarantee that the fund depends on the payroll contribution of every working person is the very and only reason why the program can succeed. The government can’t guarantee a good return, unless one believes in big government.

This program is funded by the people’s actual economic contribution. Therefore, people have every reason for business to grow. Do conservatives believe in entrepreneurship any more?

Quite literally, this is our money. These politicians have no right to change the deal and steal our money.

6 Likes

It looks like a plan to pit the “greedy old folks” against the hard work youths. A nice little generational war,

4 Likes

Bernie almost pulled it off without any bloodshed. It think it is possible through political means. But it will be necessary to develop new leadership among the younger generations. We can’t get distracted from income inequality being our agenda. It is at the roots of the Democratic Party and it must be its future.

The TeaBaggers even bought into our message when Trump highjacked it and lied about it as being his priority. We need to build new bridges and stop second guessing the power of this message.

1 Like

Only if voters make the connection.
The idea is to slowly starve Social Security while claiming it’s an insolvent ponzi scheme.
When the program goes belly up, they’ll just shout “I told you so!”

8 Likes

Are those in their 30’s ready to have mom and dad move in with them? To have mom and dad’s medical expenses added to the monthly budget? Do those in their 50’s actually think they will save so much they will be able to live a life worth living without SS or Medicare? I wonder.

4 Likes

My thoughts exactly
If you thought the ACA repeal townhalls were wild .
Just start fucking with SS and Medicare GOP
There will be lynch mobs with rope ready to throw it over the nearest tree.
Please proceed assholes

5 Likes

I think the GOP underestimates the close ties among middle class and especially poor families. They talk family values but they don’t appreciate them as at the core of survival in America today.

2 Likes

Everyone knows there is a cloud hanging over us. And every America worker knows that Republican policies will make it rain even harder and never throw out a line to us when it floods. Poor whites know this and they are scared no matter how they vote…mostly out of habit now for Republicans. We have to help them kick the habit and respect themselves again. Nobody deserves to live in poverty when they are old and sick.

1 Like

So explain to me how the current SS funding scheme disincentivizes and penalizes labor. We all need a good laugh. You do know why SS is funded by payroll taxes, right? Let me remind you that it is so no one can claim that Social Security is some kind of welfare program. I would much rather rely on the collective efforts of my fellow workers and myself than on the 1%, who by and large give less than zero fucks about me.

6 Likes

I’m going to have to disagree. Among other things, the funding is easy for everyone to understand: there is a direct correlation between my labor and my “savings” for retirement. The more I earn, the more I can see my Social Security payout increasing.

And psychologically, I would argue that a payroll tax is critical in that it makes people feel like they have earned that payout. “I put my money into this program; I’m entitled to the rewards.” It’s the primary reason that Social Security is the “third rail” of politics. “Don’t you dare touch my money.”

Take that away, to where it’s nothing more than just another welfare program funded out of the general fund, without that direct correlation, it’s a hell of a lot easier to change it, even gut it.

9 Likes

Welp, my considered opinion is not woth a damn because nobody will do it. And that is…remove the fica salary tax cap. That way Social security would be fully funded and likely there would be enough left over for Medicare to be expanded to everyone.

But don’t listen to my hair brained ideas. Go ahead and rework Obamacare and call it trumpcare. Or not and just axe it. Or destroy the two most popular government programs since there were government programs and watch you presidency, donnie, go down in flames before the 4 years is up. Fuck with retired people and they’ll turn on you, donnie. Fuck with those who have kidney diseases and everyone will turn on you because of your heartlessness. Yes folks, social security has a provision for those with kidney disease

5 Likes

Donald, the answer to your fake payroll taxes is DOA!

Our answer is NO and furthermore, HELL TO THE NO, at that!

2 Likes

5 Likes

OT
Just saw the United Airlines removing a guy off one of their planes…VIOLENTLY.
I have not flown United in many years and after this I will not…ever.
Blood all over his face like he had been beaten by airline people somewhere off the plane. They apologized for the overbooking but NOT FOR THE VIOLENCE.

FUCK YOU UNITED AIRLINES

2 Likes

Funding by payroll tax is necessary, in effect, because Americans have been brainwashed into thinking like mean-spirited assh*les. The whole idea that it’s your money because you paid it in is a fiction that only works as long as you don’t look too carefully at the progressiveness of payouts, or at survivors’ benefits or disability or a whole bunch of other things. (Much like insurance, as a matter of fact.)

If we were all civilized, simply agreeing that old people deserved not to eat dog food would be enough. But it’s not.

5 Likes

As an old guy…thanks.

2 Likes

They may know that–doesn’t mean they won’t try though.

2 Likes

I promise to give it up…

As long as I can still roll around in smelly stuff —

2 Likes

Oh yes Sam Brownback, the idiot former House GOP, gave up his seat to bring back his regressive policies to Kansas, like that other doofus from Louisiana, Bobby the ghoul Jindal. Good riddance to him. Thankfully he alone killed his future presidential hopes because of the shambles he left in his already poor state, Louisiana.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available