Discussion: Sheriff's Deputy Charged With Manslaughter In Killing Of Black Man

Discussion for article #235260

Thank you! It’s about time. He had no reason to even tase the guy let alone shoot him. I hope he ends up in jail.

13 Likes

Good. I was sick to my stomach reading the sheriff’s pathetic explanations in the previous post.

Let’s hope he is actually found guilty, and these dumbass law enforcement agencies stop allowing these “cowboys” to volunteer.

15 Likes

Sounds like the right charge. Of course, if he wasn’t a rich white guy with a pay to play cop badge, he would have been ridiculously overcharged in the expectation of pleading it down to this one.

9 Likes

I have to admit this is a big surprise, so much so I think I just saw a pig fly past my window.

But this should not be the end of the inquiry. This insane program of allowing rich white guys to go out and play cop has to fully investigated. I still cannot believe that any legitimate police force would allow a 73 year man participate in an investigation like this. Something is rotten in Tulsa and the Justice Department needs to review this and any other force that allows this kind of nonsense to occur.

8 Likes

Now, let’s have the stupid son of a bitch that Ok’d this moron to play cop brought up on murder charges.

4 Likes

I’d like to see a dose of consequences for them as well. You drape a wannabe with weapons of various degrees of lethality and let him stand around, and didn’t expect this to happen eventually? NAL but if that’s not negligent what is?

15 Likes

I cannot fathom how anyone ever thought it was a good idea to have a volunteer, deputized civilian police officer, whose rich guy status enables him to contribute to the sheriff’s department, thereby securing him that shiny new badge at 73 years of age. This guy was a cop some 50 fucking years ago for one whole year. WTF?

The entire local police department, which as I understand it consists of one other ‘real’ cop for a population of 300 or so people, needs to held accountable too, for hiring this guy in the first place. Its just mindblowing to think this is how some police believe law enforcement should be done now. They give the guy a gun and a kevlar vest, free reign to open carry anywhere anytime in the state, and unleash him on the public…and he’s free to travel all over Oklahoma and pose as this fake cop under color of law, if he can manage to get outside this podunk town. It’s like “Ripley’s, Believe It Or Not”.

9 Likes

As I said elsewhere, it’s really hard for a prosecutor not to charge in the face of a recorded confession blurted out in real time. The only odd part is that he was charged with what he confessed to doing rather than overcharged. And, of course, that’s not really odd at all. But yeah, they’ll probably let him plead it down to jaywalking or something.

Sure seems like depraved indifference to me. I fully expect there to be lawsuits against the state, the rich guy playing cop, the sheriff or persons who hired him, and the town paying his salary. I also fully expect the plantiffs to settle for a tidy sum that will no doubt result in the town or county being forced to raise taxes to accommodate their leaders’ stupidity. And they’ll all blame Obama.

12 Likes

Pleasantly surprised at the charge, but fully expect him to plea down to a jaywalking charge. Too bad the Ferguson PD won’t be there to mete out the jaywalking sentence that Mike Brown got.

2 Likes

Nah, there’ll be no plea bargain: THIS charge is the absolute bargain sub-basement.

But at the same time, I’m dubious about it drawing a guilty finding from a Tulsa jury of Bates’ “peers”: old white rich male Republican businessmen.

2 Likes

Does he have to sign some kind of a waver absolving the police dept of any responsibility for his actions?

I’m hoping what will happen to him is the one thing he’ll hate more than jail…having to pay huge attorney fees and a large settlement that essentially leaves him broke.

3 Likes

idk… i suspect this guy will plea to very reduced charges and never spend a day in jail. however, his manhood toys will be confiscated and the ride alongs discontinued – which is likely a worse blow to his sense of entitlement than jail…

in other sentencing news… why nothing about the blackwater sentences? gotta admit, i’m very surprised by those, esp coming from lamberth.

Tulsa is a bit bigger than that. It is the second-largest city in Oklahoma and the 47th-largest city in the United States. As of July 2013 the population was 398,121, According to its web site, the Tulsa County Sheriff’s Office has over 500 employees, although there is no mention of how many of those are law enforcement and how many are support. In any case, Tulsa is not podunk. Like most largish cities, there is both a Tulsa Police Department and a Tulsa County Sheriff’s Office. However, even though the incident took place in Tulsa, the Tulsa Police Department is not involved in it in any way.

http://www.tcso.org/tcsoweb/staff.aspx

1 Like

What about charging the people who armed a 73 year old man with a gun and a taser that he can’t tell apart? Yet another reason to stay the hell out Oklahoma.

2 Likes

Any person guilty of manslaughter in the second degree shall be guilty
of a felony punishable by imprisonment in the State Penitentiary not
more than four (4) years and not less than two (2) years, or by
imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one (1) year, or by a fine
not exceeding One Thousand Dollars ($1,000.00), or both fine and
imprisonment.

So basically, he could get 2-4. OR 1 year in the county jail. Or just hit with a $1000 fine.

As he has no priors, I am guessing he gets 2 years, all but 30 days suspended, and the fine.

Justice? That is for Just Us.

Because TPM is not the place to come for news.

2 Likes

My mistake. I thought I heard on the radio this morning that he Mr. Bates was tasked to oversee a part of the county that has a small population, a town of 300, and has only one officer on that particular police force. Tulsa proper, is like you say, a fairly decent sized metropolitan area with a local constabulary of plenty of officers over a large area . But is that where the tragedy took place? In Tulsa proper I mean? I thought I heard it took place in some rural area outside the main city.