Discussion: Senate Narrowly Confirms Retired Coal Boss To Oversee Mine Safety

1 Like

Ironic Trump Voter Disconnect Alert…

Trump says he loves miners. Critics say he’s putting their lives in danger.

4 Likes

Why do Trumpers love the bosses?

1 Like

We can we change this.

Performed by the composer.

2 Likes

Voluntary compliance certifications, redefine work related injuries, and just like that the problem is solved. Black lung disease is only a theory you know. & so on.

Now all that is needed is a viable market for coal. Hmmm. Bigger problem.

4 Likes

Xmas is coming.

All the scumbag GOP’ers supporting Hair Furor each deserve a couple tons of coal in their stockings.

Problem solved.

3 Likes

“… Confirms Retired Coal Boss To Oversee Mine Safety…”

And security for our Moscow embassy was given to a firm headed by a former KGB guy in a no-bid contract. I cannot believe this is not getting the same attention that Rachel Maddow has given it.

I was a cold warrior way back in the day and at height of the Cold War. I had no words for this news.

I was sputtering.Job guarding the hen house given to the fox. Who would have believed?

Hours spent on TV discussing this creep in Alabama.

6 Likes

tao

Your remind me that in the early 60s, I talked to a man who handled “employers’s liability” claims – precursor of workers’ comp – for coal mines back in the 20’s and 30’s.
He told us that a man got $50 for the loss of an eye and if he couldn’t work he got fired. Same as for losing a hand or arm or leg.

3 Likes

I’m with you. After I watched Rachel Maddow cover this story last night and can’t believe it isn’t dominating the news. It’s hard to imagine how long (years) it will take to undo the damage done by this administration.

2 Likes

Marby

Recall the Walker case? He’s in prison. He was the Navy warrant officer giving the Russians the keys to our Navy communication codes. He installed those recording devices on the Selectrics used in the code rooms that gave the Russian code breakers the clear text for encrypted messages they had intercepted. It’s called a “crib” by code breakers. Speculation is that the Pueblo was attacked to capture an actual Navy code machine – a gold mine for code breakers.

2 Likes

I’m surprised Trump didn’t choose Donald L. Blankenship.

1 Like

The real “scumbags” are the 52 Republican Senators who voted to confirm this crook. They rubber-stamp anyone Trump sends before them because it’s always “party before country.” Talk about the fox guarding the henhouse. Trump really needs to be removed from office, preferably sooner rather than later. One wonders how much more damage he can do to our country and our discourse.

3 Likes

Heck even Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va. opposed Zatezalo’s confirmation. For years a fair number of the pro coal legislators would fight for those who would ensure the safety of the miners.

2 Likes

Flake? Corker? McCain? Even the “moderate” Susan Collins? Their only problem with Der Drumpfenfuhrer is that he is a little to crude; it’s embarrassing down at the country club, you know. But on policy? They are totally on board with stealing from the vast majority–even, without exaggeration, stealing their very lives–in order to further the Rethuglicans’ plutocratic agenda. (Since, unlike Rethugs, I try to be fair and still live in a factual universe, I’ll admit that Drumpf’s policy goals are a problem for Collins once in a while. But only once in a while.)

1 Like

Trump says he loves miners??? I thought it was Roy Moore that loves minors.

3 Likes

Those were the days of “air guards” and financial ruin safety incentives. Along came Nixon and OSHA in the 70s, and the mining version MSHA to provide some financial incentives to make work safer. Reagan was the first to hire Thorne Auchter as the OSHA head to give OSHA enemies power over the work environment. There was an immediate increase in serious injury cases such that they had to redefine them to keep the carnage hidden. Reagan was fond of making government run backwards.
I guess we will know coal has come back when we get another couple dozen miners killed in an easily preventable underground disaster.