Discussion: Senate Dems Select Chuck Schumer To Lead Them After Reid Retires

1 Like

Just as I feared, Democrats haven’t really, truly learned their lesson. It’s the same old leadership and the same old rhetoric!!

6 Likes

Schemer isn’t the guy to lead us into a future of organized, smart resistance. Not a good choice.

4 Likes

Hope he doesn’t support Trump’s trashing of the Iran Nuclear deal.

5 Likes

Worse would be to pick Keith Ellison to run the DNC: case in point, and during this election cycle, “in Minnesota, Republicans erased a 38-28 Democratic majority in a single election and will enter the 2017 session with a one-seat majority in the state Senate (they flipped the state House in the 2014 midterms).”

Democrats need to find out why we lost in the Swing States, for therein lies the keys to turning this disaster around. Ellison is part of the problem. Sanders is part of the problem. We need a centrist candidate to get us out of the wilderness.

Was Reid considered a poor minority leader with bad/ineffective rhetoric? Or is there a different “old leadership” you’re referring to?

Not trying to be argumentative; I just hadn’t thought that senate minority leader was a position “we” - democrats, generally - were upset about being “old leadership and…rhetoric”. I may have missed a memo.

1 Like

Yes, Clinton was way too far left. We need a centrist!

I hear Evan Bayh is available…

5 Likes

Schumer’s attack on the Iran deal, and his knee-jerk support of Israel, and his protection of Wall Street, are all in and of themselves enough for me to oppose his leading the Senate Ds.

5 Likes

I don’t care that in the Senate it’s the same old crowd. That’s the way it works in the world where seniority and experience does – appropriately – carry a lot of weight. Schumer and the others are capable leaders, provided they learn the lessons of how to actually lead.

First and foremost, I have no problem with them saying that they will work with Trump and the GOP yada yada yada. They pretty much have no choice at this point to maintain their credibility and to not be seen as sore losers. (Obama and the Dems should have labelled the opposition that way in 2008, but flinched.) But when the actual bills come forward, even for things like infrastructure, they need to attack them mercilessly as pork for the GOP’s friends, and bribing the people with their own money, and why didn’t they pass this under Obama when they’ve wanted it all along, etc. etc. etc.

They need to get loud in the media on the inherent corruption, how the working guy is going to be stiffed with low wages and how unfair the spending is distributed. Attack their motives. Attack their competence. Attack their hypocrisy on debt. Attack their failure to get the money for it from the wealthy and large corporations. Attack, attack, attack. Borrow and spend. Borrow and spend, Borrow and spend. Another handout for the wealthy.

Relentlessness in opposition is the only way to prevent a complete takeover the GOP utopian vision. Otherwise, the entire country will look like Kansas.

3 Likes

Frankly, I’m getting a little sick of “why did we lose” bullshit.

#TURNOUT

It’s not the fucking minutia. It’s that people fell asleep at the wheel while driving their family buses. There’s no other ridiculous overly intellectualized explanation for it. People stayed the fuck home because they were beaten, bedraggled, overly confident, smug, lazy, not paying attention and had not been sufficiently alerted, informed and SCARED THE FUCK OUT OF THEIR MINDS at the prospect of a Trump presidency with a GOP fully controlling the legislative apparatus to be bothered to protect themselves and their families. It’s that fucking simple. If we turn out, we win. If we rest on our laurels, engage in in-fighting and attempting to destroy each other during the primaries, stay out of the spotlight, fail to force the MSM to pay attention to us, fail to get the message out and motivate people, etc., WE LOSE. We lost because of turnout…and I will say “I told you so,:” because I said turnout turnout turnout from the very beginning. This was our election to lose, not Clinton’s, and we fucking blew it.

5 Likes

LOL!!!

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here. He voted against the deal, and his President and his Party on that. Why would you think he would stand up for the deal now?

1 Like

Pay attention. Boldster was asking what people thought of Reid?

Shorter: When Congress gets down to work, tell the truth about the GOP.

1 Like

I was totally expecting to find all manner of comments here from all the folks who want to immediately purge the Democratic Party of all neoliberals, centrists, corporatists, incrementalists, third way-ists, trilateral commission-ists, objecting to Schumer’s election to lead the Party in resisting the impending mugging of the American People and the Democrats by Mitch McConnell, Ryan and Trump.

oh dear phuckin lord …chuck shumer …? that’s all we need why not just beat us all in the head with a 28 oz framing hammer and just put us all out of our misery

1 Like

Is America ready for Schumer’s fierce incremenalism?

3 Likes

or Max Baucus…shit stains both of them

1 Like

The general topic was D leadership.

But kudos to you for not using the occasion to launch into another pointless invective about Sanders. :wink:

Chuck Schumer is exactly the wrong person to lead the Senate minority.

1 Like

A lot of people have given up on the organized Democratic party. We are looking for leadership elsewhere.

1 Like