Discussion: Screw Deficits: GOP Governors Are Still Making Tax Cuts

Yeah, it’s like the bleating of the Greens who still say the Democrats and Republicans are all alike, so either don’t vote or it doesn’t matter who you vote for. Nutso, but there really is something to the ‘lesser of two evils’ rule.

4 Likes

Sigh. Elections have consequences.

" . . . making public colleges and universities culture-war enemies."

Yep. And there may be nothing Walker does better than this: making enemies for his Walker-bots to hate. Taking one group in our state that he singles out as in someway “privileged” and somehow undeserving of its privilege, and stoking the hatred and resentments of his supporters, getting them to “turn” on that target, threatening it, heaping scorn and derision on all who come to its defense. It’s been jolly, living in Walkerstan.

3 Likes

Voting for NOT Walker - that’s exactly what we did - and I don’t mean this as a negative of candidate Mary Burke who, with precious little electoral experience took on Walker and fought hard. But “NOT Walker” only motivated the 1 million, 200,000 of us who loathe Walker. Could another message have helped deliver another 138,000 votes? IF we’d gotten those few extra votes, we’d have a charming, sincere, educated and dedicated Governor Mary Burke now. And probably no threat of a President Walker.

2 Likes

Memories, too, have a liberal bias, doncha’ know?

Your perspectives will be valuable heading into 2016, as I have a suspicion the Koch’s are going to be riding this country hard to ensure their bought and paid for candidate gets into the White House.

1 Like

The conservative culture warriors are winning the propaganda debate, and until that gets addressed they will continue to destroy anything that is good.

Marquette, from where Walker dropped out, is the embodiment of conservative education: the richer the parents, the lower the admission standards.

1 Like

100% of the cuts should come from eliminating the MBA degree. It would be a huge improvement regardless of the budget situation.

1 Like

The universe is a democracy based on reality. Nature has the ability to vote humanity off the planet.

1 Like

Koch’s want people stupid so they can rule the country through the Republican Party.

1 Like

Arizona will be cutting $70million-$100 million from our 3 state universities.
The GOP think that will be helpful to education

1 Like

“…the mission statement of the university system … is workforce development for the state’s fine corporations…”

Government of corporations by corporations for corporations.

Sounds exactly like what Jefferson had in mind.

Where this leads is the elimination of voting, that expensive exercise in which government permits the simple worker to potentially screw up sweetheart corporate subsidies. A better method, conservatives argue, is election by balance sheets.

1 Like

“An important part of this story is how dishonest and unreal these Republicans have been with regards to the effects of their economic policies.”

Public officials should be held to the same standards of honesty as witnesses in a court case and be guilty of perjury when making false statements. Isn’t lying to millions of people with potentially severe consequences to those people as bad as lying in court? Instead of getting 4 pinocchios, or a pants on fire rating, they should be fined, at a minimum, and removed from office for serial transgressions.

As a Wisconsin resident and an employee of the UW system, I can tell you the exodus has begun. We are already losing many of of our brightest young faculty members, and some of our biggest researchers (think stem-cells, nanotechnology, etc.) are actively courting offers from other states. It is just a matter of time before most of our campuses will have lost large pieces of the intellectual capital we have spent decades trying to recruit. A few years of cuts will negate 40 years of carefully planned hiring, all in the name of helping Scooter claim he didn’t raise taxes while balancing the budget.

Then again, who needs high-paying, white-collar research jobs when we can all go work at Walmart?

2 Likes

Eliminating tenure positions entirely, pressuring tenured professors to retire early, eliminating long-term professors who have oversight over the curriculum, etc. - it’s happening everywhere in academia, including in private, prestigious universities. I was stunned by Walker’s latest budget because of its negative impact on UW-Madison which has an outstanding reputation nationwide. But, I shouldn’t have been surprised.

That’s remedial meth you can take to the bank (or whatever).

1 Like

I agree, but I also think (and recognize the heresy component) that higher ed institutions should be just that. While I recognize that some schools reap a bonanza from sports team revenues, most do not, and many players on scholarship get a pass on any course of study they can use later. I am not opposed to school sports ( I was a non star cog on a non sports powerhouse college baseball team). However I do think the mission of most schools is less focused (and tuitions higher) by not devoting their revenue fully on actual higher education.

I agree but if all states make cuts to higher ed than the country suffers. That is the effect of State’s Rights or if one cuts all must cut.

California welcomes anyone from Teabag 'Murica who would like to better themselves through a quality education.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available