Discussion: Schiff: Trump Needs 'Some More Adults In The Room,' Not Miller Or Gorka

1 Like

Gandhi, Mandela.

Caro Schiff - No no; no; no no no no no

Just get him out of there - that’s the only solution.

I hope you’ll see this today or tonight. I found a really big picture file and uploaded it. The system took it, then made the box. Wouldn’t let me delete it, though.
I then used OpenOffice writer, which has most of the features of Word, pasted this big picture in and copied it to the clipboard. I made a new "Reply " instance but couldn’t paste from the Word-type document. Maybe the picture was too big. Maybe you have to have Word and Word only. Maybe a file that wasn’t big would have worked.
Actually I think people like sickandeffin, mask, squirreltown, mantan antisachet and others who do a lot of graphics shouldn’t be too happy. Even if some of us find workarounds, the comments are going to be a pain to read. I just do simple stuff but I’m reluctant to spend a lot of time on it if readers have to jump through hoops to look at it. Realistically many people won’t click it. If they do click the boxes they can’t read nearly as many posts in the time they have as they would have the “old” way. New people won’t come back.
Anyway I’m going to see how many of the things I prepare get “boxed”. If the “box limit” is manageable it’ll be OK. Sorry I didn’t get better results. Mostly I hope it can be changed.
@mattinpa @Ralph_vonHolst @26degreesrising

3 Likes

Agree with everything except don’t you think he might be a little insane on top of it all?

1 Like

Are you OK with getting the “box” on everything? I see sickneffin has an old-fashioned display above.

Thanks for your efforts. I tried reducing the photo I posted yesterday that had the same problems other people are having with theirs to half the size – from 2084x1365 to 1000x666. No go. It’s stuck up above since I can’t delete it.

Resizing is a drag anyway. Nobody wants to bother with that or at least I don’t so I’m just as glad it didn’t work. Hopefully, TPM will figure this out. The problems are new and may be the result of some tinkering they did that they can undo. This shouldn’t be happening.

Thanks again. You really are a good citizen.

ETA: I was inputting the above while you were responding. No I’m not okay with posting boxes. I don’t mind if other people do, but I don’t want to be doing it. For curiosity, I downloaded one of the images on the thread that displays properly and checked the file info. It’s 690x289 so my guess is the system isn’t handling anything over 7 or 800. If we really want to post an image I guess we have to reduce it to that. And I do think that’s a drag but if I really really love the picture and want to share, I guess I’ll have to go through the extra step. Won’t be doing it much though. Best to you.

3 Likes

I guess we better wait. I dread the possibility that this isnt a mistake, that some constraints on resources have caused TPM to do this. I’m going to try “One Weird Trick” now–if it works I’ll come back. If not, I’ll wait until tomorrow.

1 Like

Bleeping box!!! ^&%%^%$$&^&))**.

1 Like

I added to my first response. See ETA. And okay, I see the one more trick you were going to try didn’t work either. Maybe I’ll reduce my image to under 700 longest side and try it but it’s beyond me right now. Or at least I think it is. Or oh what the hell I may was well try it.

Exactly. really going to reduce the fun of the Comments. Hope it can be fixed.Lemme try an oldie…
Well, that’s OK 195X 253.

Pasta manana.

2 Likes

Good show!

Here’s going with mine resized at 690 the longest side:

1 Like

@outsidertrading618

That did it. So under 700 seems to definitely work. Maybe under 800 would too, but I’ve had enough of this for now. Not trying that. I’ll leave it the other citizens.

1 Like

FWIW the other day I had a bit of time and found I got the box until I reduced the image to a file size of about 64K/72dpi. My own theory is the software as it’s supposed to work looks at the image you upload, asks itself if it will display at a reasonable size, then limits the display size if not. That’s pretty typical. What I imagine’s going on here is that the software malfunctions when that operation is supposed to kick in. Here’s another image I downsized to 64K at 72 dpi. Looks OK. Hope it’s some help.

4 Likes

I’ll email tech@talkingpointsmemo.com to let them know what we’re all encountering with the image posting. This is new - I’ve never seen this happen before and suddenly yesterday it started happening for most images. We initially thought it might be due to high traffic volume but it’s still happening.

I hope they’ll undo whatever recent change(s) they made that cause this to happen. I see lots of people who are frustrated.

Thanks for your efforts to debug - this community is awesome!

2 Likes

Or brainwashed. Most Americans don’t read newspapers anymore, and a scary amount of tv stations are Sinclair- and Fox-affiliated. Overworked, unlderpaid and struggling to make ends meet while worrying about health care bills, and the agitprop is aimed straight at em.

1 Like

Really? Keep in mind that congresscritters by nature speak very conservatively. What you saw as a subdued code, I see as a blistering attack.

1 Like

“We are not at a point to be thinking about the 25th Amendment”

This is true - we are not AT that point; we passed that point about seven months ago. We should be well into employing it.

The “Sebastian Gorka is not an adult” gotta sting, great !

2 Likes

Oh, absolutely. My point was not that he was being coy! :smiley: But some folks were arguing that having adults around won’t do any good, and my thinking was Schiff knows that as well as they do. He’s not a guy who misses much. What I call code, you’re calling speaking conservatively, and it amounts IMHO to the same thing—a surface restraint that conceals messages you know certain segments of your audience will hear in particular and sometimes very different ways.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available